After the Storm - original solo piano piece

jwnicholson78

I wrote this solo piano piece some time around 2006. and I have been wanting to re-record it for while now.    When I go back and listen to the original version now, I find it a little too frantic, and I wanted to redo it to be more contemplative.  I also reworked some of the chord voicings in the newer version.

I'm playing this on a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano.   Then I use the midi recording from the piano to render using NI's The Grandeur and replace the video audio.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome on how to improve it.  Thanks for listening.

Jeff

Here's the original version, for comparison.

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 3

I listened to both (original first). The tempo of the first really does showcase your piano chops but I definitely prefer the rolling tempo of the second - sounds a little more expressive too in terms of light and shade.

Impressive stuff either way, you have great talent and use it well. 🙂

Andy

• Like 1

Very Nice playing. I very much prefer the rendering on the new mix. Old mix was impressive as well but it did seem a little muffled and maybe a couple of bpm on the fast side.  I thought it was interesting watching your gaze go from the left to the right hand while playing. I'm a one handed player and it seems I'm going to stay that way.  I Really enjoyed this ..

mark

• Like 1

Second one is most certainly too fast, but impressive playing. The second one is much better in terms of time in my opinion. Have you ever tried to slow it down and even perhaps simplify it more? Don't get me wrong. I certainly do enjoy watching/listening to a very talented piano player that sounds like he has a few extra fingers, but I'm reminded of something my mother told me a very long time ago-"There is an elegance in simplicity".  No doubt, the composition is wonderful, but the parts that seemed to hit me on an emotional level were the slow areas in between. The faster parts appealed to the logical side of my brain. In any event, it was a most enjoyable piece, Jeff.  You are very talented.

• Like 1

Definitely prefer the 2nd version although the faster tempo of the first one lent itself well to depicting a storm.

I like the main theme (very nice!) that comes in right at the beginning and then you return to it a couple of times. I was thinking it could work well if you had a calmer "after the storm" part featuring that theme. Anyway, impressive playing. Really enjoyed it.

Beethoven approves.  🙂

-Bjorn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

I listened to both (original first). The tempo of the first really does showcase your piano chops but I definitely prefer the rolling tempo of the second - sounds a little more expressive too in terms of light and shade.

Impressive stuff either way, you have great talent and use it well. 🙂

Andy

Thanks, Andy.  I appreciate the kind words.

5 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Very Nice playing. I very much prefer the rendering on the new mix. Old mix was impressive as well but it did seem a little muffled and maybe a couple of bpm on the fast side.  I thought it was interesting watching your gaze go from the left to the right hand while playing. I'm a one handed player and it seems I'm going to stay that way.  I Really enjoyed this ..

mark

Thank you Mark.

I really appreciate your comment about the new mix being clearer.  It's something I've been working on improving, so it's nice to know that you can hear the difference.

3 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Second one is most certainly too fast, but impressive playing. The second one is much better in terms of time in my opinion. Have you ever tried to slow it down and even perhaps simplify it more? Don't get me wrong. I certainly do enjoy watching/listening to a very talented piano player that sounds like he has a few extra fingers, but I'm reminded of something my mother told me a very long time ago-"There is an elegance in simplicity".  No doubt, the composition is wonderful, but the parts that seemed to hit me on an emotional level were the slow areas in between. The faster parts appealed to the logical side of my brain. In any event, it was a most enjoyable piece, Jeff.  You are very talented.

Thanks!  To be honest, I don't think I was ever able to play it all the way through at the original speed with eventually crashing like a train wreck.. I don't know what I was thinking putting in those damn left hand arpeggio's, especially on A flat,  but they just about killed :)

I much prefer the slower version, too. I've never really revisited the composition too much on this piece, other than to rework some of the chord voicings.  But I totally get what  you are saying about simplicity.  I often find myself these days recording something, and then after first pass, stripping out so many excess notes to try and simply. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Definitely prefer the 2nd version although the faster tempo of the first one lent itself well to depicting a storm.

I like the main theme (very nice!) that comes in right at the beginning and then you return to it a couple of times. I was thinking it could work well if you had a calmer "after the storm" part featuring that theme. Anyway, impressive playing. Really enjoyed it.

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for the kind words and the interesting suggestion.  If I get a chance, I'll play with that notion a little bit.

Beethoven approves.  🙂

That made my week! :)