ELO's Can't Get It Out of My Head COVER- REMIXED

PavlovsCat

I shared my cover of Electric Light Orchestra's Can't Get It Out of My Head a while back and had received suggestions for improving the mix. Most of the suggestions were around the artificial double tracking that I used on my vocal -- which I often use and funny enough, I get feedback that I sound Lennon - ish (I don't think I do, it's just that ADT on a vocal gives a male voice that kind of quality). Anyhow, this is a remixed version without the ADT, although I did use Nectar to do a fake lower and higher octave harmony. I also changed a bunch of things in the mix and changed effects and EQing. However, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm finally starting to grasp how to implement some of the suggestions folks have made. So thanks everyone for the insights, the suggestions and the encouragement. I'm sure there's a ton more I could do to improve this -- like replacing that terrible singer! But I am listening to the advice I'm receiving and slowly but surely, I'm learning. Baby steps, friends! I turned up the vocal louder too -- as the feedback I often get is that my vocal is too low in a mix (probably because I'm embarrassed by my vocals and would prefer it's buried in the mix rather than up front). I'm very interested in all of your critical feedback to learn more about mixing (I rely on Izotope's AI tool for mastering and don't do any adjustments). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

This is outstanding my friend! Really great job on the performance and production. And don’t be insecure about your voice, it really fits this Lennon-esqe style, and you covered this one well! I listened to the old one as well, and you did improve this mix, the vocs definitely stand out better. 😎👍🎶🎶🎶

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ross Smithe said:

This is outstanding my friend! Really great job on the performance and production. And don’t be insecure about your voice, it really fits this Lennon-esqe style, and you covered this one well! I listened to the old one as well, and you did improve this mix, the vocs definitely stand out better. 😎👍🎶🎶🎶

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment and the very kind words. It's appreciated. 

Holy crap, Peter!! This sounds excellent! So much improvement in the mixing, instrument separation, vocal sound.

If there's one thing I'd change, and it's pretty small in the huge scope of this piece, it would be to "dirty up" a couple of the instrument sounds, and maybe use a touch of delay to nestle them down in the rest of the mix. This would be the Rhodes (?) sound at the beginning and the electric guitar lead around the end of the first chorus.

The rest of the song, the arrangement, the treatment of the vocals, man, you sound like you're on a TV special tribute to Jeff Lynne.

And:

1 hour ago, Ross Smithe said:

don’t be insecure about your voice, it really fits this Lennon-esqe style

Wasn't that what I said about "I Am The Walrus?" Ross agrees, you have a cool, distinctive voice.

For perspective, I think my singing voice sounds like a middle school principal reading the lunch menu on a day when they're especially bored with the task.

• Thanks 1

A wonderful cover of a great song I haven't heard in a while. I miss those old songs. I didn't hear the first stab at this mix, so I can't offer any comparatives. You do sound a bit like Lennon, or does the song mimic Lennon's style? Maybe both. As far as the mix, please take what I say with a grain of salt. I think there are a few frequencies in the mix that need a little more taming. According to my ears, I would guess they are around the 3000–5000 range. Right around where one finds sibilance issues. I'm not sure where it's coming from, and it's not terribly bad, but my ears seem to be picking up on something hissy popping in and out. If I'm correct and you are able to address it, I think it could possibly warm this mix up more.

But the bottom line here is you did a fantastic job capturing the mood and feeling, and for me, that goes a very long way. Your vocal deliveries are very well done, and you have a wonderful voice.

• Thanks 1