Lower the volume on buses/tracks with automation on them

Manolo

Hello,

I have severeral buses with Volume automation on them. I would like to use the CTRL tip to select all my buses and lower the volume on all buses but of course, buses that have automation keep their volume once I hit play. I can edit the automation by selecting all points and lower them but I would like to know if there is a way to lower the entire automation by lowering the Output Volume ? I hope it's clear.

Thanks msmcleod, I knew this but it's for one enveloppe ;).

Thanks Bristol_Jonesey, it could do the trick but I tried and it's too much confusing as it's not reflected on the automation lane and there is no clue that an offset is set on a track (or I missed it).

Edited by Manolo

So why not just leave it in Offset mode (like I do)?  If there's an envelope, then by definition, there's an envelope so you can see the change with time and what its value is by holding shift while hovering, and the value in the track widgets reflects the offset.  It's only a handful of CbB parameters that are affected by offset mode (volume, pan, send level and send pan).

On 3/25/2023 at 4:33 AM, msmcleod said:

You can also use the shelf tool:

ChangeAutoVolume.gif

Brilliant. I never stop learning on the forum.  This is super handy! Can you also select all nodes like this and delete all if you want to start over?

5 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Brilliant. I never stop learning on the forum.  This is super handy! Can you also select all nodes like this and delete all if you want to start over?

Unfortunately not, because the tracks are also selected... so hitting the delete key will delete the tracks.

To delete notes, you need to range select them so the nodes have focus then hit delete.  Alternatively you can right click on the envelope, and select "Delete Envelope".

Neither of these methods are quick groupable though.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:33 PM, msmcleod said:

You can also use the shelf tool:

ChangeAutoVolume.gif

It's a very useful feature!! Thank you!

But are there in plans to make a possibility working with not only a vertical line for working with envelopes (which is activated by pressing X), but also a horizontal one? Like in the Studio One example?

It would be very convenient! You can not just visually build, for example, the volume, but do it along the line.

1392231877_.thumb.png.d85cd9970c899fca0612ed5d4ad8b28a.png

Edited by Asato Maa

2 minutes ago, Herky Acuff said:

It is not as technically correct as the other suggestions above, but another way is:

Send those buses to another newly created bus, and pull down the fader on the new bus to taste...

FWIW - that's the way I'd do it.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, kperry said:

So why not just leave it in Offset mode (like I do)?  If there's an envelope, then by definition, there's an envelope so you can see the change with time and what its value is by holding shift while hovering, and the value in the track widgets reflects the offset.  It's only a handful of CbB parameters that are affected by offset mode (volume, pan, send level and send pan).

Yes, maybe just time to make the effort to change my workflow :).

On 3/31/2023 at 10:26 PM, Herky Acuff said:

It is not as technically correct as the other suggestions above, but another way is:

Send those buses to another newly created bus, and pull down the fader on the new bus to taste...

Yes, it can be a workaround 👍.

Edited by Manolo
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 3:29 PM, msmcleod said:

FWIW - that's the way I'd do it.

I have used a ton of buses, but I was wondering how much overhead I am using while doing this. Playing with a new technic (Gregg Wells) a 5 spilt parallel compression output! Talk about stacking in some more buses!

edit>
it would be nice if the “shelf” tool had 3 shapes.

1 nodes before mouse position 

2 all - as it is now. 

3 nodes after mouse position 

Thanks for the tips!!

Edited by Max Arwood