TONEX pedal

Sander Verstraten

Hope the US release is cheaper.  🙄

Basically the same hardware as the X-series pedals but $180 USD more.  Can't convince me the chip that is needed to run this costs anywhere close to that much more, as we already know ToneX isn't a CPU hog and can run on an iphone.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Hope the US release is cheaper.  🙄

Basically the same hardware as the X-series pedals but $180 USD more.  Can't convince me the chip that is needed to run this costs anywhere close to that much more, as we already know ToneX isn't a CPU hog and can run on an iphone.

It’s not about what it costs to make, it’s about what people will pay for the functionality.

You could pay $x for a pedal that does delays only, or reverb only, or you could pay $180 more for a pedal than can simulate any amp out there. You can also download hundreds of models for free online.

When you compare it to things like the Quad Cortex and Kemper, this IK pedal is actually very competitively priced.

Also, iPhones are powerful.

Edited by Toffo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DamienF said:

180€ for RD ; the price isn't so high, comparing to Kemper for example

but I wish there was send and return plugs

the X-Series pedals also had R&D and this has a far larger market between the desktop app/vst and pedal all using the same tech to recoup those costs.  

It is still just a pedal like the X-Series (which are also priced at the top of the market and they are brand new to the pedal world).

This isn't a Kemper though, you can't capture with just the device and if you compare it to the floor unit the controls and switches do not feel like an all in one unit like a Kemper.  

48 minutes ago, Toffo said:

It’s not about what it costs to make, it’s about what people will pay for the functionality.

You could pay $x for a pedal that does delays only, or reverb only, or you could pay $180 more for a pedal than can simulate any amp out there. You can also download hundreds of models for free online.

When you compare it to things like the Quad Cortex and Kemper, this IK pedal is actually very competitively priced.

Also, iPhones are powerful.

Kemper and Quad Cortex are entire signal chains that replace both an amp and a pedalboard.  This is an amp simulator with some very limited reverbs added on.  Not the same product catergory.  

This is actually the only pedal I think IKM should have made.  The X-Series there are too many other (frankly better) options on the market at the price point.  The AMP sim catergory is the one that needed something to fit in beyond the Line6, and all the other "one off" amp sims such as Ethos Overdrive, Blackbird.

The other problem is being a digital product means it has a shelf life unlike the expecation of something like the Ethos or Blackbird.    

I just think this could have been a ~$300 pedal and dominate the market, if we are honest, we know could have been done based on the "X" series already.

If I'm not mistaken, my understanding is ToneX can run on a 9+ year old iphone.  So while current Iphones are fairly powerful.  9 years is a long time in the chip industry.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DamienF said:

and in fact the price difference is not 180 but approximatly 80€ (x pedal official price is 396€, even if the street price is different)

Street price is the only relevant stat for both.  Given the odd value of the ToneX listing, I'm assuming that is some sort of street price....as MSRP is notoriously some number one penny shy of a whole number.

2 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I wouldn't have minded a FX Loop, especially since the captures can be Drive Stomp + Amp + Cab.

And It's weird the interface part just goes to 44.1 kHz. I would have expected 48 at least

I think (and pray) that 44.1 is a typo.  Other pages seem to list the spec as better than that.

Agree lack of fx loop is unfortunate, and so is the lack of ability to load a ToneX pedal model and an amp+cab as a preset.  Effectively you would have to capture the whole setup and load that.  

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tonexpedal/#info

I don't think $400 is a bad price for what ToneX delivers.

The Captures are better than Kemper or Quad Cortex (both of which are $1800+).

I'm not crazy about the ToneX plugin UI... but it's slowly evolving and the integration with Amplitube 5 adds many useful features.

I think this is going to be huge for IK.

Add a H90 and maybe a couple of your favorite boosts/drives... and you've got a great sounding versatile gig/rehearsal rig.

Small form-factor for easy cartage

Edited by Jim Roseberry