M-Audio AIR 192 8 USB-C Audio Interface

cclarry

12 hours ago, Craig N said:

My aging i7 4790k overheats and BSODs if I accidentally leave it on 96khz when adding too many plugins, is anyone using 192khz successfully on a modern machine without running into performance issues? 

I reckon that would require minimal plugins and a lot of bouncing to wav

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Craig N said:

My aging i7 4790k overheats and BSODs if I accidentally leave it on 96khz when adding too many plugins, is anyone using 192khz successfully on a modern machine without running into performance issues? 

Lots of factors you didn't include....

Number of tracks?

Latency settings / buffer settings?

What constitutes too many plugins?  

I can cause a modern computer to fail at 44.1 16bit with a bunch of vsts and effects while trying to run a bunch of low latency real time tracks such as amp sims and using high CPU effects.

I can also run 192 without problems for a stereo recording and high buffer settings on the same machine.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Part of me thought he was joking.   If he said also using ASIO4ALL then it would be.

I wasn't joking. I notice a worthwhile difference in sound quality at 96khz so I wonder whether there'd be a further improvement at 192khz, plus it'd pretty much eliminate aliasing. So when I see an interface advertising 192khz I wonder is anyone using it already and if so, can they actually run it at 192khz when making music ITB or is it really only useful for recording at 192 khz. 

37 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Lots of factors you didn't include....

Number of tracks?

Latency settings / buffer settings?

What constitutes too many plugins?  

I can cause a modern computer to fail at 44.1 16bit with a bunch of vsts and effects while trying to run a bunch of low latency real time tracks such as amp sims and using high CPU effects.

I can also run 192 without problems for a stereo recording and high buffer settings on the same machine.

Well recently it was a song I was working on with about 10 tracks all using VST synths or Kontakt libraries (not recorded audio), and on top of that I added KSHMR Chain to every track with three plugins running on each, U-He Satin, TBProAudio GSatPlus, and FrontDAW. Buffer was probably 1024 samples at 96khz. I didn't realise it was running at 96khz so I was surprised when I realised it was overheating, thinking it was running at 48khz. 

I'm assuming we're probably still 10 years away from being able to run everything at 192khz with a bunch of tracks and plugins and not have performance issues. 

20 hours ago, Craig N said:

My aging i7 4790k overheats and BSODs....

Shouldn't be doing that, even under a load.

Maybe it's time to check the paste under your cooler, or even investigate a more robust cooler. If you've been running it since its heyday, 8 years ago, the paste is probably ready to be scrubbed off and replaced.

Are you running at least 2 case fans? Fans, even good, quiet ones, are cheap.

My big question with rates over 96K isn't whether my system will handle it, it's whether my plug-ins will handle it.

• Like 2

Also, I notice that your processor is an i7-4790K. It might seem counterintuitive, but if you have it overclocked, maybe you could try going a bit more conservative with that. Thermal issues happen when overclocking is pushed too far.

But no matter what, I'd still check the paste and look into a tower cooler if your case is wide enough. There are some well-reviewed ones on eBay for under $20 if you don't want to spend so much on an older system.

• Like 2

I do have a decent case with fans but you're right I need to re thermal paste it, and probably the cooler which is stock. My problem is that it seems any money spent would be better spent on a new machine 😊

So maybe I'll just clean the heatsink fins out instead. 

• Great Idea 1