So I picked up Omnisphere 2

Tim Smith

Yeah, I know about 10 years too late. It hasn't come yet as I ordered the usb drive hard box. 

I kept waiting for them to lower the price but I only managed to get 20.00 off plus a Christmas 15% discount at Musicianfriend.  With tax it still wasn't inexpensive, but maybe for what it is, it's ok? As I understand it, it's great for movie tracks which really hasn't been a main forte of mine. Just always curious about what it really was aside from it having 14,000 sounds. I get sidetracked on 100 sounds. 

Looks like Skippy makes some nice stuff for it. I really hope it doesn't sit idle on my hard drive. Like so many things I had to see what it was about.

I guess i'm wondering if those who have had it a long time ever really ended up using it.

...and if anyone needs a movie track composer. I'm loaded for bear now with this and all of the other stuff those capitalist pigs persuaded me to buy 🤣

I made another jazz track and realized it's almost Christmas. I guess I should load up a few of my sample libaries and look for some bells to come up with something.

Everything has been done to death on Christmas...almost.

Maybe @bitflipper and/or @Fleer might be able to be able to comment on this.
I picked up a bunch of excellent libs from the https://www.theunfinished.co.uk/  last year to use with my Omnisphere for a couple of projects and then went in an entirely another direction (haven't used any softsynths  in my current round of projects).

Edit: Lol - I see bitflipper beat my posting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

90% of my projects over the past 10 years have at least one Omnisphere track in them. You're gonna have fun.

Thanks. I guess even though this is an older package it's still pretty amazing. Thanks for this.

Thanks @TheSteven.

I sort of mish mashed a bunch of Arturia and IK synths together for this in an afternoon. I didn't spend a lot of time on it yet.  There were some amazingly realistic bells in the Atruria synth collection.

I will check that link out. I think LABS had some decent free jingle bells if i remember correctly. Maybe I'll use those in something else. Can't wait to get O2. I know I might need a month opff to check it out though.

Tim, if that piece is indicative of your normal style, you're gonna definitely want to take a few days off from the world to explore Omnisphere. 

Check this ditty out. Two instances of Omnisphere with 8 patches in each. Most of the guitars and percussion are Kontakt, but Omnisphere's providing the human voices and one of the guitars ("Glorious Steel"). The sort of xylophone-sounding arp-ish bit near the end are lightbulbs ("Bass Buzz Lightbulbs") from Omnisphere. 

https://soundclick.com/r/s8joxc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I still have the Dimension Pro bells we got as part of the Sonar subscription way back when.

I though you were a young dude lol.

5 hours ago, craigb said:

Just a matter of getting her to believe it too, eh? 😆

Man we gotta get you a girlfriend.😁

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Tim, if that piece is indicative of your normal style, you're gonna definitely want to take a few days off from the world to explore Omnisphere. 

Check this ditty out. Two instances of Omnisphere with 8 patches in each. Most of the guitars and percussion are Kontakt, but Omnisphere's providing the human voices and one of the guitars ("Glorious Steel"). The sort of xylophone-sounding arp-ish bit near the end are lightbulbs ("Bass Buzz Lightbulbs") from Omnisphere. 

https://soundclick.com/r/s8joxc

Hi Dave,

I'm all over the place musically or depending on who you talk to I might not be anywhere musically.  I usually like to do that sort of thing around Christmas. What I really wanted to do was use my Iron Guitars on this but I had some issues. I really like that track you posted. It has a nice feel to it.

I'm getting more excited about O2 by the day! I guess my biggest concern was spending all of my time seaching for a sound. I imagine the meta data in O2 is pretty well set up. I will often go for a sound that I intend to change later and end up with what's there. Like the cheesy 90's horns in that track that are slighly off in timing. I used synth horns  from Arturia because they seemed to fit that Manhiem Steamroller sort of feel. MS is really just old tech people still like, and for something like that I considered swapping it out with nicer horns, but if it works it works. And I'm the only judge of it, then it works.

The human voices are very realistic in your track. Overall a nice mix of elements.

59 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Just never updated my avatar, which is from 2014.

Guilty, too. Mine is from when I was a young man of 63.

All I'd have to do to bring it up to date is use Photoshop to turn the rest of my hair the same color as my beard in that photo.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

True story. When I met my wife online I was within a month of my birthday. She told me that if I had been a year older she would not have looked at me. She is 6 years younger than me and we are both now older than @Sander Verstraten

In fact, my son is now the age I was when I met my 2nd wife. It's scary how fast time flies.

My now wife and I almost didn't go on a official date when we found out we were 9 years apart. I told her if it bothers you let me know and it is okay. I saw her the next night at rehearsal and she was fine with the age difference. She found out at her work all the long term marriages were the ones with a greater then 7 year age gap. I'm sure glad we gave it a go as she is the love of my life! 20 plus years married.

Enjoy your new synth. I'll be looking in the songs section for your new music 😃

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InstrEd said:

...we found out we were 9 years apart...I'm sure glad we gave it a go as she is the love of my life! 20 plus years married.

My wife was also 9 years older than me (I've always preferred experienced women) and we lasted 40 years. I concur with your hypothesis.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, InstrEd said:

My now wife and I almost didn't go on a official date when we found out we were 9 years apart. I told her if it bothers you let me know and it is okay. I saw her the next night at rehearsal and she was fine with the age difference. She found out at her work all the long term marriages were the ones with a greater then 7 year age gap. I'm sure glad we gave it a go as she is the love of my life! 20 plus years married.

Enjoy your new synth. I'll be looking in the songs section for your new music 😃

I think it works so well because it takes us that long to be mature enough to be married. My 1st wife and I went through some rocky times. Did my best to hold it together, but she was intent on pulling the plug so I stopped resisting and gave her what she wanted. Afterwards she felt remorse, but by then it was too late and I had moved on. Part of being married young is women haven't played the field and mine assumed she might do better. It took a divorce for her to learn that what she had was actually pretty good compared to what was out there 😁

Even 6 years seems a lot at an earlier age. When I was 18 she was only 12 and well, that's just weird, but when you get into those older years it begins to make sense if the spread isn't too extreme. I mean they don't want to marry their dad. It has worked for us for over 20 years and neither of us has any intention to end anything. My 1st wife married an ugly guy who never turned out to be much. Not that he is a bad guy, but she would have been better off with me 😁

On the synth, thanks! I guess I should post some more tunes over on the songs forum. Not after plays or attention at this stage, but I like to get honest reports on my work and some over there come up with some amazing material. I think I have a bunch of stuff I haven't posted.