It isn't a joke but it will make some musicians smile :D

Notes_Norton

We play it, and enjoy it.

We're musicians and entertainers. We charge more than our competition, and here in the summer, when most duos are lucky to work 5 days this month, we're working 15.

August is one of the 2 slowest months, and we've got 17 gigs. September is the absolute slowest, and we've got 15.

'nuff said.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Edited by Notes_Norton
Typoman - Writing all wrongs.
  • Like 2

Sometimes people think a song is overplayed and they are tired of it.

I wish I could write a song that gets overplayed!!!

I play the songs some other musicians feel are beneath them, Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Yakety Sax and a slew of others, and I enjoy them.

It sure beats any day-job I can think of.

• Like 1

Well, I understand Yakety Sax is now a hit again, being the new unofficial theme song of the British Parliament. First debuted by Mr. Johnson, it then became the soundtrack of every sidewalk announcement by whatever politician was resigning that week. 

P.S. Before anybody starts whining that this is a political post, it's not. Watch this clip at 1.5x speed and see if it doesn't bring back fond memories of Benny Hill.

• Like 3

Yakety Sax is the song many sax players hate to play. Recorded in 1963 by Boots Randolph, it's the one song that people who don't know any other tune featuring a sax request. It's repetitive, and the fingering is tricky, but like most tricky fingerings, practice it enough, and it becomes easy.

Mrs. Notes and I do a little shtick while playing it if the night and the audience is right. We start off a bit slower than the Boots recording and go through the AABA sections. Then a few bars of speed up and play the A section again with the look of confidence on my face. A few more bars of speed up, and I get a look of determination and play the A again. A few more bars of speed up, and I get a look of fear in my face and play the A again. Then, when it ends, I apologize about my partner drinking too much coffee or make some other wisecrack.

It's a song I only play when requested, because if I played it too often, it would wear it out with our audience.

There isn't a song in our songlist http://www.nortonmusic.com/cats/songlist.html that I don't like to play. There are some that I like to play more than others, but I play whatever I think will work best with the audience at the particular moment  in time.

Playing any song is a hell of a lot more fun than any day-job I can think of. :D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Yakety Sax is the song many sax players hate to play. Recorded in 1963 by Boots Randolph, it's the one song that people who don't know any other tune featuring a sax request. It's repetitive, and the fingering is tricky, but like most tricky fingerings, practice it enough, and it becomes easy.

Maybe the next time you can play this and see if they notice.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Will I have to wear white socks with black pants and shoes?

Yes, and the pant legs need to be 3-5" too short to show off the socks.  😄   So, after over a half-a century, I finally understand why they were called sock hops--to show off the socks!!! 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:25 AM, bitflipper said:

Can't imagine any other reason anyone would hate that song

I can think of somewhere around 200 reasons......

Every single freakin' second of it and that it's Van Morrison.😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Yes, and the pant legs need to be 3-5" too short to show off the socks.  😄   So, after over a half-a century, I finally understand why they were called sock hops--to show off the socks!!! 

So I was born to late to be in fashion ;)