Thomann Deal of the Week- UAD Octo PCIe Card

cclarry

10 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Plus beaucoup $$$$ for shipping and customs to USA customers? 🙂 

Actually their shipping is SUPER reasonable....I was surprised
when checking things how affordable (and FAST) it was!

14 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

So I have never even used anything like this before. Can I assume, if you have that card in the DAW PC, you get all the UAD plugins for free and they all run off the card and basically don't use any local RAM system resources on the PC?

Initially you get a set of essential plugins free. After that there are additional plugins avail for purchase. Their prices are not for the faint of heart though. Wait for sales, I say, and even then some can still be costly; but d.a.m.n.e.d fine plugins though.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

So I have never even used anything like this before. Can I assume, if you have that card in the DAW PC, you get all the UAD plugins for free and they all run off the card and basically don't use any local RAM system resources on the PC?

You get "Some" plugins free with the card, and the card offloads the processing for UAD plugins from the PC CPU,
saving system resources and "lightening the load"!  There is a definite "sound" difference with the UAD Plugins
also.  But the UAD Plugins, even on sale, aren't cheap!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Yep...if you're buying hardware (and some software) I highly recommend Thomann!

I doubt they could ship anything for $27 to a US address, unless it's coming from a warehouse somewhere in Kansas.

• Like 1

Just now, abacab said:

I doubt they could ship anything for $27 to a US address, unless it's coming from a warehouse somewhere in Kansas.

I really don't care where it's coming from....I care about the "bottom line" LOL

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I really don't care where it's coming from....I care about the "bottom line" LOL

I suspect they have an agreement with US manufacturers to ship from their distribution centers/warehouses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, abacab said:

35 minutes ago, cclarry said:

dont you guys pay duty of shipments from overseas? over here duty on a $1000 USD item will going to be pretty steep.

24 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

dont you guys pay duty of shipments from overseas? over here duty on a $1000 USD item will going to be pretty steep.

We don't pay VAT, which results in considerable savings to us when buying from Europe

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

You get "Some" plugins free with the card, and the card offloads the processing for UAD plugins from the PC CPU,
saving system resources and "lightening the load"!  There is a definite "sound" difference with the UAD Plugins
also.  But the UAD Plugins, even on sale, aren't cheap!

I guess the affordable way is to not use CPU heavy plugins. use Reaper or VE Pro.  

This kind of stuff is only for people who make money off it or the hobbyist thinks he's cool for having this.

• Like 1