My New Computer Build

cclarry

1 hour ago, BTP said:

I'm using a cheap SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 cooler and an old 450W PSU with my Ryzen 5900X & 1060 and haven't had any problems.

I have a similar setup and end up going with a CoolerMaster ML240L ($79 at Amazon/BHPhoto). I like the low profile and should give temps a few degrees better than a cpu fan. I get low to mid 60s under full load running a maxed out template. Only negatives are the water lines are short and so you have to be able to mount the radiator at the top of the case. I also like that it vents directly out of the case rather than blow hot air around inside.

cooler#1.jpg

cooler#2.jpg

Edited by bsantini99
  • Like 2

Congratulations Larry! This post got me to thinking about my system...I'm still running a Win7 Ultimate PC and been thinking about updating and was talking to my gf about this post this past weekend....she gave me the greenlight so I took the ball and ran. I have many packages coming in this week starting with yesterday-

Asus ProArt Z690 Creator Wifi (came yesterday)

Intel i9-12900K (came yesterday)

Corsair XTM50 Thermal Paste (came yesterday)

Bolt Dropper PC & Standoff Screw Kit (came yesterday)

MOTU MIDI Express XT USB (coming today)

Many assorted audio and Midi cables (coming today)

Corsair RMX 1000x Gold Modular PSU (coming today)

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Videocard (coming today)

Samsung 980 SSD 1tb M.2 NVMe (coming today)

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (coming today)

Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler (coming today)

Thermaltake Core V71 Tempered Glass Edition E-ATX Full Tower Case (Coming tomorrow)

Pioneer BDR-212V 16x Internal Blu-ray Burner (coming tomorrow)

Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB(2x32GB) 5600MHz ram (coming Thursday...another set coming next week for a total of 128GB of ram)

Thunderbolt 4 6,6ft. cable (coming Thursday)

Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface (coming Thursday)

Going to order 2 more NVMe SSD drives soon...probably 2TB each :)

Going to reuse my sata drives from the old computer for now...1TB to 4TB drives...also an external 8TB drive!

Any tips on software moves?  I'm not worried by the i-Lok and elic stuff...more so the machine activated stuff! I don't know about you but I'm hoping for another 10 years from this ;)

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Any tips on software moves?  I'm not worried by the i-Lok and elic stuff...more so the machine activated stuff! I don't know about you but I'm hoping for another 10 years from this ;)

Bill

I just decided to wait...the Dark Rock will be here tomorrow, and I still can't
install the M.2 Drive, so have to wait until Thursday for the mount kit to show
up.  Why that doesn't come with the drive I really don't understand!
Once and be done, provided everything works right.

As far as moving/deauthorizing/uninstalling, that would be vendor specific.

1 hour ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

I checked, some M2 mounting accessories  come with my board...I'm still wondering why a thunderbolt interface doesn't come with a thunderbolt cable? ;)

Bill

Apple Proprietary = MONEY!

• Like 1

Because why charge less when they can charge extra ?

In all fairness everyhting thunderbolt is very expensive and part of it is because the cable is active, it contains logic chips at both ends.

But the licensing fees also have a part to play in the price.

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Going to order 2 more NVMe SSD drives soon...probably 2TB each :)

Good idea. Never thought I would fill my 1tb Sample drive.... but here I am... looking for a bigger drive!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

I checked, some M2 mounting accessories  come with my board...I'm still wondering why a thunderbolt interface doesn't come with a thunderbolt cable? ;)

Bill

Yeah my board I got a at least a year ago I was able to install an M.2 drive right in without any mounting kit needed. Wonder why yours ain't like that Larry?

When I got a UDA TB3 Apollo, I learned that these TB cables can get expensive!! If you want them to work well.

14 minutes ago, Grem said:

Good idea. Never thought I would fill my 1tb Sample drive.... but here I am... looking for a bigger drive!

I bumped up my SSD sample drive from 1 TB to 2 TB this year. Still got 600 GB free space on the new drive... ahhh, breathing room for a while! :)

But I also had to get a new 2 TB WD Elements external USB HDD to image that sample drive (weekly).

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grem said:

Yeah my board I got a at least a year ago I was able to install an M.2 drive right in without any mounting kit needed. Wonder why yours ain't like that Larry?

My motherboard M.2 Slots require "Offset" mounts, and it didn't come with them...which is REALLY the biggest slow down in this process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

My motherboard M.2 Slots require "Offset" mounts, and it didn't come with them...which is REALLY the biggest slow down in this process.

My board has  2 x M.2 slot, but I didn't bother with M.2 initially. Decided to stick with SATA 2.5". So that leaves me a bit of upgrade path someday, along with 2 unused RAM slots. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

My board has  2 x M.2 slot, but I didn't bother with M.2 initially. Decided to stick with SATA 2.5". So that leaves me a bit of upgrade path someday, along with 2 unused RAM slots. :)

Mine has 2 also....which is good...because I'll probably get another 4 TB M.2 when I catch one on sale...they're crazy fast.
I even have a USB-C M.2 Enclosure, which I'll probably get a drive for later also.

31 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Mine has 2 also....which is good...because I'll probably get another 4 TB M.2 when I catch one on sale...they're crazy fast.
I even have a USB-C M.2 Enclosure, which I'll probably get a drive for later also.

My M.2 slots are PCIE based, so I understand that may cut down on available lanes for PCIE x4 expansion slot usage.  But fortunately I am only using the PCIE x16 for my graphics adapter, Nvidia GTX 1650.

Everything else is either SATA or USB 3. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, abacab said:

My board has  2 x M.2 slot

Mine does too and I filled them!! Samsung 500gb in the slot that isn't shared with anything. And a slow 1tb Intel 600 in the slot shared with the 16x slot. But at the moment there is nothing in the 16x slot. And when I do put something in there (if the prices ever go back to normal: not paying $200 for a card that retails for $90-$110) it won't be a bandwidth guzzler.