Soundpaint 1976 Rhodes

Simeon Amburgey

18 minutes ago, Grem said:

Simeon, I am not getting any sound from your video. I can listen to other youtube videos, but not this one.

[edit]

Sound finally started at over one minute in the video.

I guess it was the lava lights warming up ;^)
This was a really on the spot live stream as I wanted to share as soon as I could and have time to get lubch ready.

Thanks my friend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

WOW! I have been playing this most of the morning and had to share a little bit with all of you so I did a brief live play.

For $20 this is an amazing deal.

https://soundpaint.com/collections/keyboard

I have so many Rhodes -- and especially the Famous E -- I don't see myself picking this up. But for those who don't have the same collection, this seems like $20 well spent. But beyond that, @Simeon Amburgey, wow! Your playing on this video is awesome! Holy cow! This is why, as the son of  a (late) music teacher and pro musician who could play Chopin with ease and also played pretty well on our Wurly electric piano back in the day (and we owned a Leslie speaker!), when I load up an electric piano and play, I feel very inadequate knowing how amazing people like you and others play. Anyhow, that was a treat. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

Great jam session towards the end! 👍

I also have the sampled "Famous E" Rhodes from Orange Tree Samples. I wonder how they would compare?

Well, Famous E surely has a lot more depth. While I really liked the free piano in Soundpaint, one thing is for sure, Troel's greatly oversold it. It isn't a fantastically detailed piano as he pitched it in the pre-sale hype video. But,  from my point of view, it's really all about what you're going to use it for. If detail isn't that big of a deal to you and you have $20 USD to spare and love the tone, I would say, why not? I've bought a bunch of Past to Future libraries, realizing they don't have the kind of detail I sometimes want. But if I'm doing a song where the tone works and I don't need a very detailed sample library, I'm going to use it. 

What I'm hoping they release soon is a good sounding upright. Piano is my first instrument, and I fell in love with Yamaha grands early on, and we had a baby grand and then an upright at our house, but for some reason, I'm a total sucker for an upright with some character to it. I really like the patches for the free piano that comes with Soundpaint, if they can do something cool with an upright piano, my credit card is available. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Well, Famous E surely has a lot more depth.

That's possible, and surely there will be some difference, as they are sampled from two different Rhodes models.

From the SoundPaint description, they sampled an 88-key Rhodes Mark I from 1976.

According to the history of the "Famous E", it is a Rhodes Mark II 73-key Suitcase, 71 vintage, the electric piano that Harold Rhodes proclaimed "the best Rhodes I have ever heard". https://www.emodelrhodes.com/history

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Oops., I meant to start with that point that they're two different models! As far as the people using that library, I'm friends with Greg and when he first released it, I was saying how it reminded me of certain songs where that was pretty much an iconic sound and the first artist whose name I connected that sound to, Greg says, "I just helped him install it yesterday!" So yeah, that is the ultimate Rhodes library, IMO. And everything from Orange Tree Samples is meticulously sampled and scripted -- the scripting on their libraries is really amazing -- and that is part of Greg's genius. I know from other developers that he's seen as a master. So for those who want the be all end all Rhodes library, I think there's no question that Famous E is it and I'm still enjoying the presets (there are a lot of them). So considering I have Famous E, I have some Rhodes electric pianos from maybe ten other developers, what caused me to still look at this? I was hoping that Troel's and team would have some really creative sound design patches -- and maybe he has -- but the demos  don't convey that. My expectation from the Steinway is that they would get more into creative sound design possibilities, and that really interests me.  So, as this library seems to be a straight Rhodes, which sounds really nice, and if I didn't already have a great collection of Rhodes sample libraries, I would jump on this for $20 USD. 

• Like 1

Downloading the free Steinway right now. While that happens, I watched the video above, and also went through a number of the demos for the various Soundpaint instruments. The piano sounds very nice, Rhodes is fine, but as others have said, it's not quite the Famous E (although a different model) and I think it probably is worth it. As far as some of the other instruments, I think the potential is great, but the demos (other than the guitar and the 808), to me, do not showcase the instruments very well, as the sound of the Brass is rather buried in a mix that has tons of other stuff going on, and I found this to be similar with some others in this collection--therefore it's tough for me to really get a handle on the value here--but I need to explore it more thoroughly--since the bundle price is only a small discount, I may just go individual with some of these, because priced by themselves, they seem a good deal, if you will use them. It seems that there is more here than simply the samples themselves, the interface and flexibility appear to be a big marketing point--but the sound has to be there, and if it's not I'd pass. 

7 minutes ago, antler said:

You probably know about these already, but here are some uprights that you might like (or not):

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq (there's an upright instrument pack)

https://www.fluffyaudio.com/shop/mypiano/

I do, but thanks for taking the time out to share them, that's very thoughtful of you.  I think I bought one library from the Fluffy Audio developer and he seems really talented.  If that upright goes on sale, I may pick it up. I'm not totally sure. It doesn't immediately grab me, but I may find myself coming back later. I  kind of liked a demo I heard of the e-Instruments upright piano: 

https://e-instruments.com/instruments/pianos/session-keys-upright/

1 hour ago, abacab said:

That's possible, and surely there will be some difference, as they are sampled from two different Rhodes models.

From the Soundpaint description, they sampled an 88-key Rhodes Mark I from 1976.

According to the history of the "Famous E", it is a Rhodes Mark II 73-key Suitcase, 71 vintage, the electric piano that Harold Rhodes proclaimed "the best Rhodes I have ever heard". https://www.emodelrhodes.com/history

The Famous "E" is a gem for sure, knowing it was the keyboard used on so many of the arrangements I really enjoy (especially Jarreau).

The benefit I see with Soundpaint is first of all Cost. $20 for an accessibly Rhodes like this is really something, and I can see it being especially useful on a live rig as the CPU and memory resources are very good. Side by side with the Famous E, Keyscape, or other Rhodes titles will certainly expose some of the limitations but out of the box it felt instantly fun to play.

The other part of having it in the Soundpaint universe is the possibility of using the sources to layer and morph with other titles in the library. I have done some experiments morphing it with the Steinway and it is very interesting.

Now if I can just nail that instrument break!!!! 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

As long as I'm on a tangent, I kind of am finding Galaxy Instruments is my new favorite piano sample developer. I fell in love with Noire and think those guys are brilliant with piano libraries. 

Absolutely. NOIRE paired with Piano Colors is a fabulous combination.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have so many Rhodes -- and especially the Famous E -- I don't see myself picking this up. But for those who don't have the same collection, this seems like $20 well spent. But beyond that, @Simeon Amburgey, wow! Your playing on this video is awesome! Holy cow! This is why, as the son of  a (late) music teacher and pro musician who could play Chopin with ease and also played pretty well on our Wurly electric piano back in the day (and we owned a Leslie speaker!), when I load up an electric piano and play, I feel very inadequate knowing how amazing people like you and others play. Anyhow, that was a treat. 

Thanks so much my friend, I really appreciate the kind words.

What happens to me is when I play a virtual instrument something unique is always triggered somehow, with this it triggered that "Spain" motif and it was over from there. I have all of these fragments of musical ideas and such rolling around up there and all it takes is the right nudge from a library to jostle things right through the fingers, It's just getting those fingers to translate. It is an amazing experience for sure. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

The other part of having it in the Soundpaint universe is the possibility of using the sources to layer and morph with other titles in the library. I have done some experiments morphing it with the Steinway and it is very interesting.

There are many folks asking "what is SoundPaint all about?", and I think that you have probably nailed it with that simple statement!

Layering is probably the most effective technique to achieve new sounds and textures in sound design. Doing it in a synth rack, starting with MIDI hardware, and then with instrument tracks within a DAW has always been something that I really enjoy. But anytime one is able to do it within a single interface in a virtual instrument, it's a time saver for sure!

So far I only have the Steinway and the guitar in SoundPaint, and mixing them together has been quite interesting! I already have enough other synth and sample libraries to keep me busy for the next 100 years, but I am intrigued by the possibilities for sound design within this product. I am open to getting a SoundPaint library that's something like Bioscape from Luftrum, to layer with a few conventional instruments. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/luftrum-bioscape

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2