Way Out Ware TimewARP2600 is £8.95 / $10

cclarry

8 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Also, for $40 bucks more you can get the entire SONiVOX Premier Collection.   😃

ttps://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/2700-Premier-Collection

Very nice price .. BUT is it really worth getting all this SONIVOX stuff, even at that low price? Again, is it more going to fill up your harddrive than actually be used i wonder?

• Like 2

I have often heard on places like VI:Control that the ARP2600 is the best thing SONiVOX sells, and that the whole package is worth it for this alone.  I don't think that SONiVOX made it, actually.  I heard they licensed it from somebody else. 

Not a lot of the 2600s look so much like the real one, with patch cords, etc, like this one.

But I don't have it, so I don't know what it sounds like. 

In terms of the package, SONiVOX, there are some real gems in there, like Atsia Percussion and Silk Road Percussion.  I've heard great things about their Strat.  Big Bang is pretty good but has bugs, etc.    The orchestral stuff is excellent, only lacking in legato.  Very good for layering in with other libraries. 

The issue really is that so many of these go on sale separately  for practically nothing, so it may be best to just get the ones you want. I have seen the Singles for as low as $3.  So it's easy just to buy the ones you want.  Back in 2016/2017 the strings went for $1.  😃

4 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Too many Arp2600's on the market. Which is the one to get?

I  have TimewARP 2600 (part of a SONiVOX bundle) and used it once on a cover of Dakota (Stereophonics) to create that synth sound. I managed to get something close to the sound but the UI is tiny and that made it hard to work with. The sound of it was just OK.  None of the SONiVOX bundle made it to my new PC (crashing in Big Bang made me find alternatives long ago).

Honestly, if I was looking for a cheap alternative I would spend a little bit more on the Cherry Audio CA2600 (I think Larry found it for around $20 at EveryPlugin). Vastly superior sound on the Cherry vs TimewARP and a lovely big UI. I also compared the demo of the Cherry to Arturia's version and although the latter has more features (more polyphony, aftertouch, sequencer etc.) overall I found myself preferring the sound of the Cherry. 

If in doubt try the Cherry demo.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, abacab said:

According to SONiVOX support, TimewARP 2600 is only officially supported on Windows 7.

Here it runs on Windows 10. But first I had a CbB crash trying to do autorisation. Then I used Samplitude and found out that the autorisation only runs if you're online. Afterwards it also ran in CbB on W10 without problems.

But the BUMMER: You can only use it online even after the autorisation has been successful! Ouch, I have thrown away some $$!

1 hour ago, marled said:

Here it runs on Windows 10. But first I had a CbB crash trying to do autorisation. Then I used Samplitude and found out that the autorisation only runs if you're online. Afterwards it also ran in CbB on W10 without problems.

But the BUMMER: You can only use it online even after the autorisation has been successful! Ouch, I have thrown away some $$!

Yes, it runs on Win 10, but you can't get support for it if that is the OS you are using... Yes, it does crash some DAWs during online auth.  I seem to recall that Reaper and Studio One work OK for that purpose. Once you have authorized it on your computer, it should run in any DAW.

I'll have to test the online requirement post auth issue that you mentioned.  Never noticed that before, as my computers are online.

In any case, I downloaded the Arturia ARP 2600 demo, and it works well. 😁

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, abacab said:

In any case, I downloaded the Arturia ARP 2600 demo, and it works well.

Yes, I really prefer the sound of the Arturia ARP 2600 over the TimewARP 2600. But I have it only as part of Analog Lab 4, though I don't own the Arturia ARP instrument (have only the Jupiter 8, I had to get it, because we had the real thing in the band in the 80s).