New Audio Mixing Site

mibby

Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to give you a heads up on a new forum called the Audio Mix Club that opened up recently.  There's the whole range of skills on there from Pros to beginners.  Mike Senior of the Cambridge Multi-Track site summed it up pretty well in his latest newsletter:

I’ve recently come across a new mixing community you might want to check out, run by site supporter Rob Morgan: https://audiomixclub.com/

Not only are there regular mix-offs, friendly mix-duels, and competitions, but Rob and other community members are incorporating loads of dedicated mixing content into their discussion environment: tutorials, mix walkthroughs, and so on. I’m actually talking about maybe getting involved with some kind of mix contest over there at some point too, so stay tuned for news of that…

One unique feature (I think) is the “Mix Audition”.  An artist has the group mix their tracks, then goes through and picks his favorite mix. The winner gets the mixing job and $200.

You can check it out here: https://audiomixclub.com/

It is a pay site, but at only $10/month or $99/year, I think it's a fantastic deal!

If you have some extra time on your hands, check it out. I’ve been thoroughly enjoying it and learning a lot!

Stay safe everyone.

• Thanks 1

Very active and a great bunch of folks on there. This site started up after Dueling Mixes closed its doors and a bunch of the guys from that sight are on there. Not sure about the numbers, but it's really getting going and has been excellent so far.  After checking in here on this site, that one is my new go-to. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.  I wanted to bump this thread in case anyone missed it. After a couple of months in, this site has been super active and a lot of fun. (It reminds me of this forum, for the most part, only it's "mix-centric".)   From the latest newsletter:

If you love mixing and want to take your skills to the next level, then you will love the Audio Mix Club.  Audio Mix Club is a new friendly, non-intimidating community of like-minded people that share a passion for audio production and mixing. Members can share their mixes for feedback, helping each other grow their skills much faster than going at it alone.

If you're stuck at home staying safe from the coronavirus it’s a good time to come mix songs with us. ... We also have some fun skill-building mix exercises going, as well as club member duels where members challenge each other to a mix off. Voting in the duel’s and giving feedback puts your name in the hat for a random drawing to win money.

Audio Mix Club activities include:

- Monthly Featured Mix. Club members get multitracks for great songs to mix.

- Monthly Skills Training. Members are challenged to complete skill-building mixing exercises.

- Monthly Club Member Spotlight. We proudly highlight members of the club.

- Periodic Mixing Competitions. Club members compete for prizes.

- Periodic Mix Auditions. Club Members audition their mixing skills to get hired for a project.

- AMC Exclusive Mixing Tutorials. Learn to mix from the ground up.

- And more

I have no affiliation with this site other than being an enthusiastic member.  The songs have been really good. This was last month's "Mix Audition".  (This is not intended to self-promote in any way, they're just cool songs.  :))

https://soundcloud.com/mbd414/blink-of-an-eye-by-mike-mathis-miked-mix

And this month's - still a work in progress:

https://soundcloud.com/mbd414/permanent-2-5-hour-v2/s-LBGJ8rzl8mm

Without a doubt the best mixing forum I have ever taken part in...

PS. Next month is a competition sponsored by Fab Filter!

Edited by mibby
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

(Bump.)

This site has been pretty great.  Really.  It's an active supportive group of guys with some pros who weigh in and are generous with advice and critiques on your mixes.  There are good tutorials, "challenges", a mix a month, sometimes 2, collaborative opportunities, and lots of ways to practice and get better at mixing.

Currently, there's a $1000 Mix Contest going. Mixes are due at the end of December and voting starts in January. So for $20 bucks (that's 2 months), you have a chance at winning $1000!   I think that qualifies as a "deal".  :)   But bring your A game because there are some really good mixers on the site!

https://audiomixclub.com/mixing-contest

PS. If you do join up, be sure and say "hi"!   I'm miked over there...

Edited by mibby

Just a question (not being snarky or anything) - how 'open' is the community to new members when it comes to the mixing competitions? Is it mainly the same faces always winning or do they give others a chance?

Is it the sort of site where you have to invest LOADS of time before getting anything back? 

As I say, not being snarky; genuine interest.

7 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

Is that you, mibby? Surely you're not talking about us? 😉

Guilty!  Yes, that's me. I'd just like to say, this is not the forum I was talking about. I don't come here to waste time, just money!  😜

3 hours ago, 53mph said:

Just a question (not being snarky or anything) - how 'open' is the community to new members when it comes to the mixing competitions? Is it mainly the same faces always winning or do they give others a chance?

Is it the sort of site where you have to invest LOADS of time before getting anything back? 

As I say, not being snarky; genuine interest.

No worries. I know it sounds like a "hard sell" but I'm genuinely enthusiastic about the site.

First off, since it's a paid membership, I think that deters the "trolls" IMO.  There is a core of guys that knew each other from Dueling Mixes - me included. However, there are some new guys NOT from there who really know their stuff and are generous with tips and advice. And some new guys have joined this last year too.

You can be as active as you like, but I think you'd get more out of it participating.  For example, when you critique other mixes, you're more likely to get critiques yourself. Kind of, a you get what you give sort of thing.  Critiquing other mixes is a good way to train your ear too.  But if you want, you can just grab the tracks and mix and watch the tutorials if you're so inclined, and do the competitions. 

Regarding the competitions, this is only the 2nd one (of this type).  The voting is anonymous, so being a "known" mixer there is not a factor.  In fact, the guy that won last time doesn't even really take part in the forum as far as I can tell.  He just does the competitions.  And there is a "beginner" and and "advanced" category too. (I personally think there should be an intermediate as well because I don't have a prayer in the advanced and I'd feel guilty entering the beginner category.) 

There are other activities for practice too like "challenges": a no plugin mix challenge, mix a song with just free plugins, mix an orchestra where the parts were recorded individually on iPhones and such, a channel strip challenge - do a mix using only a channel strip, etc.  There are informal "duels" where you and another guy who challenges you go head to head in a mix-off. You post the mixes anonymously and the other members critique them and vote on which one they like better.

The forum Mod has been doing a drawing each month for those who participate in the various activities, sometimes for money and sometimes for plugins...

It's a really good site for getting better at mixing.  My only affiliation is that I "knew" the Moderator from the Dueling Mixes site.  He ran that forum and came up with the whole idea of members doing duels.  Now that site is done, he created his own forum and is running it the way he wants, which is pretty darn good IMHO.  He also used to be pretty active over at NailTheMix/ URM and won a competition or two over there.  He knows his stuff.

So yeah, it's a really nice spot to focus on your mixing skills and to ask questions and discuss and practice various mixing related things. And yes, you can spend a LOT of time there! 

HTH   🙂

• Thanks 1

Took a brief tour, looks interesting, but nothing I saw on the site intro tells you much except about the competitions.

I don't think I found or can see what's behind the paywall in terms of education, Tutorials, reviews, is it a forum with sections like this, can you post original songs , that sort of thing? Even a screenshot of the hierarchy/forum sections - like gearslutz or vi control or this site - would help sell it.

Or am I primarily paying 99 just to mix someone else's song?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes, you are mixing someone else's song, or you can also post your song for others to mix or submit it for a monthly mix, or you can mix your song and get feedback.   And just for the record, I'm just letting you guys know I think it's a pretty good deal, not "selling it" in the sense that I have anything to gain...  🙂

Screenshots:

AMC-01.jpg.0cce9c3564f508fef2eb0e830582f501.jpg

AMC-02.jpg.cecab1e285b6ca25162ddf0e194a3b67.jpg

AMC-03.jpg.4af243e59c5850b89b01ec2e9cc39fd5.jpg

AMC-04.jpg.b9a26f61db0a35feead7ec17d082ce07.jpg

OK, last post for this guys. This is this month's song to mix.  The artist is Craig DeMelo out of Southeastern Massachusetts, U.S.   The project was recorded and produced in one of the members' home studio and this mix is by the forum admin.   I couldn't upload the MP3 so I put it on a private link on SC. No affiliate links or self-promotion.  Just passing along what I think has been one of my best "deals" this year...  mibby out.  :) 

I was about to join but noticed that the guy in the banner picture is squashing the signal with his compressor, what does he think he's doing? Also his room treatment looks amateurish, AT BEST!

LOL, just kidding. 

Joe Gilder is doing the same thing at the same price: https://www.homestudiocorner.com/vip

That wasn't what I was going to say in this post, but I guess I'm just getting old. 

Where am I? What is this place?

• Like 1