Why do some VSTis create so many "audio tracks"

Nigel Mackay

If you insert something like the Sonitina Orchestra and select All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo, it inserts 16 stereo "audio tracks" and 1 MIDI track. The VSTi is not multi-timbral, and even if it was you would then need more than 1 MIDI track.

You either enter MIDI notes on the MIDI track PRV or plug in a controller to play notes. But you only have 1 voice selected, what's with the 16 stereo outputs?

(You can of course select First Synth Audio Output and only get 1 stereo audio track.)

52 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

The VSTi is not multi-timbral . . . .

(You can of course select First Synth Audio Output and only get 1 stereo audio track.)

Are any of the patches multisamples with different zones?  For example, I have soft synths (and gear) that have orchestral instrument groups arranged in different ranges across the keyboard. With a single patch like that someone might want separate tracks--First Violins, Second Violins . . . Basses.

Just as guess. 

No, Sonatina Orchestra is not multi-timbral. Neither is VSCO2 Orchestra. They both behave the same.

@User 905133 The SI Strings work that way, changing from Contrabass to Cellos to Violins, depending on the note. (But only one stereo output.) But both these VSTs are definitely only one instrument at a time.

@mettelus Using both as a VST in CbB.

I got to wondering if it is maybe a bug/misunderstanding between the VSTs and CbB.

EDIT: Experimented - now matter the patch choice, all audio output is on the 1st audio output, so I am assuming it is a bug.

Edited by Nigel Mackay
New info

The Sonatina Orchestra plugin is reporting 16 audio outputs to Cakewalk, which is why 16 are created.

The fact that it's actually only stereo is to do with the plugin itself. It shouldn't really claim to have 16 audio outputs if it only has one stereo output.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

The VSTi is not multi-timbral, and even if it was you would then need more than 1 MIDI track.

Though it's most common to use one MIDI track per channel with mult-timbral synths, it is possible to put some or all  of the 16 parts on separate channels in a single track a la Type 0 MIDI files. And, of course, drum synths are often driven by a single MIDI track, using separate audio ouputs to allow processing the kit pieces independently.

• Like 1

My personal guess is that the devs have thought about inputs and outputs.

It's harder to manually add audio outputs than it is to add midi inputs. Thus leaving it to the user to decide how many midi inputs they need.