eLicenser Service Closes Down in 2025

satya

2 hours ago, husker said:

Steinberg can't win.   They get excoriated for years over the E-Licenser, then they get guff when they get rid of it.  :)

Yeah. I know what you mean. but what this change does is kind of screw over people that were forced to invest into the e-licenser system. and quite frankly, it does sound a like bit like its all a scheme to entice you to upgrade to their latest DAW. Might as well make legacy Cubase devoid of a licenser if its really that useless to them. Anyways, it doesn't really matter that much to me at this point. Over the last few years, i struggled to properly learn the workflow of FL and get my head around it. I have reached  the point where I am able to get the  same kind of music and tracks I was able to do in Cubase. I just have to go about doing it a little differently. I don''t want to turn this into a which DAW is better discussion. But what the experience has taught me is, there is a great benefit to no having to deal with  licenser systems and it really was a big ole' waste of time and money having to deal with these licenser systems. You should just be able to install the software DAW you bought, and use your username and password and not have to look back at it again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nitrate Audio said:

sound a like bit like its all a scheme to entice you to upgrade to their latest DAW.

This is what I am getting from reading these post and years of watching the e-licenser system "progress"!

Bear in mind existing licences aren't being revoked. Products will continue to work as long as they're activated to the eLicenser. Here's some other text from the FAQ:

Will I still be able to use products with the eLicenser-based licensing service?

Yes, eLicenser-based products can still be used without limitations as long as the licenses are available on the USB-eLicenser or Soft-eLicenser.

They even hint they might help you out if your USB-eLicenser breaks:

What happens if my USB-eLicenser gets broken or is lost after the eLicenser service is shut down?

Please contact support for an individual solution. Please note that we can only offer a solution for eLicensers registered in MySteinberg.

• Like 1

I've read and re-read the different Steinberg references about eLicenser Service Closes Down in 2025...

And I'm quiet confused... And I'm probably not the only one or? Please someone clarify for me and to others at the same time 😉

I have the following  products on the USB-eLicenser:

WaveLab Pro 11 (Upgraded to Steinberg Licensing)

Cubase Pro 11

HALion 6

Padshop Pro Extension

HALion Symphonic Orchestra (Box)

Does that mean that all products expect WaleLab have to be upgraded to Steinberg Licensing (the new thing if I understand right?)

"Fine" too for Cubase or Halion as I can move to the next level (upgrade, right?)

But how do I do with Padshop Prod or Halion Symphonic Orchestra? I don't get it I have to say... Any help?

Thx

26 minutes ago, Zoukiman said:

I've read and re-read the different Steinberg references about eLicenser Service Closes Down in 2025...

And I'm quiet confused... And I'm probably not the only one or? Please someone clarify for me and to others at the same time 😉

I have the following  products on the USB-eLicenser:

WaveLab Pro 11 (Upgraded to Steinberg Licensing)

Cubase Pro 11

HALion 6

Padshop Pro Extension

HALion Symphonic Orchestra (Box)

Does that mean that all products expect WaleLab have to be upgraded to Steinberg Licensing (the new thing if I understand right?)

"Fine" too for Cubase or Halion as I can move to the next level (upgrade, right?)

But how do I do with Padshop Prod or Halion Symphonic Orchestra? I don't get it I have to say... Any help?

Thx

OK, I may have found some answers here and there... but still blured...

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/6232567486098-Upgrade-voucher-in-MySteinberg-for-switching-to-Steinberg-Licensing

and...

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/4413291566994-Steinberg-program-releases-still-supporting-eLicenser-technology

OMG...

2 hours ago, Zoukiman said:

OK, I may have found some answers here and there... but still blured...

My understanding is as follows.

If you have an eLicenser product and it supports Steinberg licensing (as indicated by the table in your second link), you can switch it over. If you have a license for a product which is no longer the latest (i.e. supported) version and it is on an eLicenser, you can continue to use it (as long as you have activated the license on your eLicenser).

However, you also have the option to upgrade products that aren't the latest version to the latest (via your first link). This will let you buy the latest version (presumably at a discount), which supports Steinberg Licensing.

To summarise: all of your products will continue working, but you must activated any unactivated licenses on your eLicenser. Alternatively, you can upgrade to the lastest version (again presumably with a discount); you will then have the latest version/s, which use Steinberg licensing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, my understanding is you can continue to use it. you just can't ever activate it again. What this means is, you have to image your current system. and you need to make sure you continuously do in place upgrades until a point in time when it becomes unfeasible to ever upgrade due to legacy hardware. Which will happen. So you can't blow away your OS and re-install and then install the software again. My current legacy DAW is on Windows 10. I should be able to do in place upgrade to Windows 11 and maybe Windows 12. You probably want to invest in something like Acronis if you plan on keeping that DAW to open old projects. I guess it doenst matter. No one can predict the future and what will happen.

Edited by Nitrate Audio
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cclarry said:

My VSL licenses are on my eLicenser....I wonder if VSL will offer the opportunity to switch to iLok

Were you under a rock when they announced this?

They do.   In fact those licenses under elicenser would still work even if you have the iLok versions.   You would have to use their older romplers for the old ones to work.

Edited by kitekrazy

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 10:22 AM, Nitrate Audio said:

Might as well make legacy Cubase devoid of a licenser if its really that useless to them

Not necessary. They could just do what they've always done - make all prior version of Cubase activate with a single registration. 

For example - with the eLicensor, if you owned Cubase 11 then all prior versions are also licensed automatically. You could install any prior version of Cubase from that license. But I'm now on C13 Pro, so it's moved to software...meaning most users likely can't install Cubase 9 or 10 without the eLicensor.  They should migrate that functionality over to the software license. 

However - I'm guessing that in order make this possible they would have to update all Cubase versions to be compatible with the software license. I'm guessing they crunched the numbers and it would be more expensive than "free" and decided "nah".  But this should really be done for  relatively recent versions (example: Cubase 10 to 13) as there are many of us who regularly go back and forth between versions, especially composers in television who have legacy versions always installed for dealing with projects across multiple seasons and where opening older projects in newer Cubase versions can occasionally cause problems (eg. plugin blacklists, insert heirarchy, etc.).

Edited by Carl Ewing

8 hours ago, antler said:

My understanding is as follows.

If you have an eLicenser product and it supports Steinberg licensing (as indicated by the table in your second link), you can switch it over. If you have a license for a product which is no longer the latest (i.e. supported) version and it is on an eLicenser, you can continue to use it (as long as you have activated the license on your eLicenser).

However, you also have the option to upgrade products that aren't the latest version to the latest (via your first link). This will let you buy the latest version (presumably at a discount), which supports Steinberg Licensing.

To summarise: all of your products will continue working, but you must activated any unactivated licenses on your eLicenser. Alternatively, you can upgrade to the lastest version (again presumably with a discount); you will then have the latest version/s, which use Steinberg licensing.

Thx!

And yes, that's my conclusion too by now  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I started a chat with Steinberg support and they said I wouldn't be able to use my old Cubase 9.5 even with a USB e-licenser.  Maybe he meant if I reinstalled Windows 11 then it wouldn't work, but that part wasn't clear.

Edited by Examigan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Examigan said:

I started a chat with Steinberg support and they said I wouldn't be able to use my old Cubase 9.5 even with a USB e-licenser.  Maybe he meant if I reinstalled Windows 11 then it wouldn't work, but that part wasn't clear.

Maybe I should upgrade to Windows 11 while I can still activate. Win 10 is EOL Oct 2025.