​🗑️​Bapu's Random Thoughts For The Day

Bapu

So, we were relaxing in the warmth of the day after Christmas when my roommate Anna decided to do a little cooking.
She turned the oven on and went to her room for a few minutes while the oven preheated.
She came back and went to put her food in the oven and she said "Greg, why is the oven doing this?"
I went to look and where the heating element was mounted to the box of the oven by a thin, steel clip, it was arcing like a welder's torch and smoking like a chimney.
Yikes! I tried to pull the stove away from the wall to unplug it, but it was too heavy to do quickly, and the thing was starting to catch fire! The oven knob was turned off, but it was still red hot.  I grabbed a dishrag from beside the sink and tried to wet it (the park has been without water since Christmas, but that's another story) and all I got was a dribble. That was enough. I threw the rag on the heating element and even though it was wet, it still caught fire. I yelled at Anna to turn off the breaker for the stove, the box is behind her bedroom door. She cried back, "which one is it?" I didn't know from memory, so I went back there and none of the breakers were marked. There were 2 pairs of breakers ganged together and since I knew it was a 220-volt circuit, I pulled both of those to the off position.
That didn't stop the fire, but at least the element began to cool down.
I grabbed some oven mitts and tried to get the element out (they're supposed to just pull out) but it wouldn't come out. I twisted and jerked the thing, but now the mitts were catching fire! Holy smoke! or words to that effect.
I ran to the door and tossed the gloves into an empty flowerpot on the deck. It had some water and ice in it from previous rains.
I went back and started pouring more water on the conflagration, but it was still weldingly hot, white hot, and the water was taking its time flowing from the faucet.
Eventually, the fire subsided with enough water and smothering by the rag. I opened the windows (30-something degrees outside) to air out the stench of electrical fire + wet rag, brewed some coffee and life goes on.

Edited by 57Gregy
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

So, we were relaxing in the warmth of the day after Christmas when my roommate Anna decided to do a little cooking.
She turned the oven on and went to her room for a few minutes while the oven preheated.
She came back and went to put her food in the oven and she said "Greg, why is the oven doing this?"
I went to look and where the heating element was mounted to the box of the oven by a thin, steel clip, it was arcing like a welder's torch and smoking like a chimney.
Yikes! I tried to pull the stove away from the wall to unplug it, but it was too heavy to do quickly, and the thing was starting to catch fire! The oven knob was turned off, but it was still red hot.  I grabbed a dishrag from beside the sink and tried to wet it (the park has been without water since Christmas, but that's another story) and all I got was a dribble. That was enough. I threw the rag on the heating element and even though it was wet, it still caught fire. I yelled at Anna to turn off the breaker for the stove, the box is behind her bedroom door. She cried back, "which one is it?" I didn't know from memory, so I went back there and none of the breakers were marked. There were 2 pairs of breakers ganged together and since I knew it was a 220-volt circuit, I pulled both of those to the off position.
That didn't stop the fire, but at least the element began to cool down.
I grabbed some oven mitts and tried to get the element out (they're supposed to just pull out) but it wouldn't come out. I twisted and jerked the thing, but now the mitts were catching fire! Holy smoke! or words to that effect.
I ran to the door and tossed the gloves into an empty flowerpot on the deck. It had some water and ice in it from previous rains.
I went back and started pouring more water on the conflagration, but it was still weldingly hot, white hot, and the water was taking its time flowing from the faucet.
Eventually, the fire subsided with enough water and smothering by the rag. I opened the windows (30-something degrees outside) to air out the stench of electrical fire + wet rag, brewed some coffee and life goes on.

My last 30 hours have been brutal too (I'm too tired to type the whole story)!  Glad your issue appears to have only been annoying!

As I was lying around, pondering the problems of the world,

I realized that at my age I don't really give a rat's a
ss anymore.

If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, but is still fat.

A rabbit runs and hops and only lives 15 years, while

A tortoise doesn't run and does mostly nothing, yet it  lives for 150
years.

And you tell me to exercise??     I don't think so.

Just grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune
to remember the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.  😁

Now that I'm older here's what I've discovered:

1.   I started out with nothing, and I still have most of  it.

2.    My wild oats are mostly enjoyed with prunes and all-bran.

3.    I  finally got my head together, and now my body is falling apart.

4.    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.

5.    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.

6.    If all is not lost, then where the heck is it ?

7.    It was a whole lot easier to get older, than to get wiser.

8.    Some days, you're the top dog, some days you're the hydrant; 
the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

9.    I wish the buck really did stop here, I sure could use a few of them.

10.   Kids in the back seat cause accidents.

11.   Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

12.   It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.

13.   The world only beats a path to your door when you're in the bathroom.

14.   If God wanted me to touch my toes, he'd have put them on my knees.

15.   When I'm finally holding all the right cards, everyone wants to play chess.

16.   It's not hard to meet expenses.... they're everywhere.

17.   The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

18.   These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter, I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm "here after".

19.   Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded...

20.  HAVE  I POSTED THIS TO YOU GUYS BEFORE... ???  🤔

Hope everyone is having a great New Year!  We deserve one! 🥳  

Edited by craigb
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...