​🗑️​Bapu's Random Thoughts For The Day

Bapu

First World problems? 😮

Check out the sentences I highlighted!  Most of us take forever to find a box we saved in our garage!

Australia's Lost Capsule

Officials in Western Australia scrambled over the weekend to locate a tiny radioactive capsule believed to have been dislodged from a piece of mining equipment as it was being transported for repair. The effort is expected to be exceedingly challenging; the capsule, while posing a significant radiation hazard, is less than a quarter inch in size and was lost along an 870-mile stretch of desert highway.

The tiny source contains cesium-137, and was part of a radiation gauge used to measure radioactivity in oil and gas processing plants. The device had been packed sometime in mid-January, with the absence of the capsule noticed Wednesday. Officials expressed concern someone would pick it up without realizing its purpose—the exposure risk when standing about 3 feet from the capsule is roughly equal to receiving at least 10 X-rays per hour. 

The mining company, Rio Tinto, apologized for the panic.

• Like 1

"exposure risk when standing about 3 feet from the capsule is roughly equal to receiving at least 10 X-rays per hour."

Wow!!

Hope someone doesn't happen along and think "This is interesting!" and pick it up take it home.

Edited by Grem

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

How much? The true cost starts after you bring them home. :)

_Females.jpg

If I am not mistaken this was taken around my area here in Louisiana called Bucktown on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:29 PM, craigb said:

First World problems? 😮

Check out the sentences I highlighted!  Most of us take forever to find a box we saved in our garage!

They managed to find it: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/feb/01/tiny-radioactive-capsule-lost-in-australian-outback-found-by-side-of-1400km-stretch-of-road

Edited by Wibbles
  • Like 1