Cakewalk Sonar Backstage Pass BETA Updated to 2024.4

cclarry

As with a lot of things, repetition is very helpful. The first two times I tested S1 thinking I might switch, I just couldn't get comfortable with it. The third time was the charm, it now makes sense to me and I like it very much!

16 hours ago, jesse g said:

Dave,

I 've been using Sonar since 2.2 and loved it, but I need to work better in my DAW and that's when I decided to go to Studio One 6.  I didn't bail on CbB, I just found another DAW that meets my needs better;  I jut don't use it as often

I use Hardware when I mix and  Sonar or CbB use of External Insert  is what made me go to Studio One, AND the drag and drop for nearly everything in Studio One is incredible.  You would be surprised to find out that there are a great number of CbB members who use Studio One as their Main DAW.

For mixing, I may use my WA stereo Bus Comp or any one of my 3 stereo compressors for that matter.  When I add them to the external Effects rack in CbB, I can ONLY add a stereo pair OR a mono pair, but I can't add both.   So If I want to use a Stereo Comp on the master bus,  and then on the next take of a Vocal use the  Mono Left side of that Compressor, I can't because you have to remove the Stereo pair to add just the Mono left channel in CbB, and this is ridiculous. With Studio One, I can add a Hardware Stereo processor and then also add its  Left Mono and Right  Mono channels as well.   CbB will not allow me to do this at all, You will have to remove the Stereo Compressor to add the left channel or right channel only because CbB thinks it is currently being used.

Pipeline XT Use with Hardware

The routing is easy, similar to CbB but it's better.  I drop and FX on a channel's send and it immediately creates a Bus for it

FWIW, The new Cakewalk Sonar has the same type of feature (drop FX on a channel send to automatically create the effect bus).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

FWIW, The new Cakewalk Sonar has the same type of feature (drop FX on a channel send to automatically create the effect bus).

Thanks Jim.

I wasn't aware of this new feature.   There are some components of Cakewalk that I like  better than studio One and that is  it's ability to use the MCU Protocol .   Studio does use some of it, but not like Cakewalk did.  Since Studio has it's own controller, the MCU protocol for Studio one doesn't allow the use any Controller to work properly.  I purchased an ICon QCon Pro G2 Controller and it is very limited in Studio One but works great in CbB.  So there are some ups and downs in both.   But as I said, I like to use hardware  processors, so I need to have those connected as stereo and Mono for my work flow and studio One does that flawlessly for me. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, jesse g said:

There are some components of Cakewalk that I like  better than studio One and that is  it's ability to use the MCU Protocol .   Studio does use some of it, but not like Cakewalk did. 

There are even SONAR lexan overlays  floating around out there, to use with the Mackie master universals.

• Great Idea 1

11 minutes ago, John Nelson said:

There are even SONAR lexan overlays  floating around out there, to use with the Mackie master universals.

Yes, I have one for Cakewalk Sonar and one for Studio One. but the studio one overlay has much fewer functions.

Studio One does work well with some controllers outside of their own. The ones from Nektar (mostly keyboard controllers, but there is also one stand-alone controller) have excellent integration. It appears that PreSonus and Nektar collaborated on the integrations. From my personal experience, I heartily recommend them.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:49 AM, ptheisen said:

As with a lot of things, repetition is very helpful. The first two times I tested S1 thinking I might switch, I just couldn't get comfortable with it. The third time was the charm, it now makes sense to me and I like it very much!

That was pretty much the same for me back in 2015,  the apparent smallness of things put me right off first time, I can't remember how it actually went, but I kept going back to try it again, and after the 2nd or 3rd try there was no turning back, still on the straight and narrow and so glad I jumped ship way back then.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just wondering, it would seem a no-brainer to apply AI to a DAW, starting with MIDI, where it could go far beyond basic quantization in fixing timing issues, it could do a far better job of humanizing feel or fixing inconsistencies in feel, fixing out of scale notes, etc. -- with ease. Does anyone know if Cakewalk is working on anything like that?

Edited by PavlovsCat

@jesse g hey jesse g, I remember you were interested in atmos/immersive stuff, I pointed you earlier to some of Craig Andertons 'Fridays Tip of the Week' for Studio One, he has since done a couple more on that subject that you may find of interest.

https://blog.presonus.com/category/friday-tip-of-the-week/

Just search back a little and you should find them, you may also find them in the news feed on the right side when you fire up Studio One, not sure how far back that goes though. But if you are into that stuff you may well find them useful.

On 5/8/2024 at 12:18 AM, Heath Row said:

@jesse g hey jesse g, I remember you were interested in atmos/immersive stuff, I pointed you earlier to some of Craig Andertons 'Fridays Tip of the Week' for Studio One, he has since done a couple more on that subject that you may find of interest.

https://blog.presonus.com/category/friday-tip-of-the-week/

Just search back a little and you should find them, you may also find them in the news feed on the right side when you fire up Studio One, not sure how far back that goes though. But if you are into that stuff you may well find them useful.

Heath Row, 

Yes, I remember and I looked into it.  I read his articles and watched multiple videos on the subject.  All in all, Atmos is too expensive for me right now.  I looked at the KRK Atmos setup and the Kali Audio Atmos setup but buying all of those darn monitors is just too $$$$, and those are the inexpensive setups.   I will stick with stereo for now. 

He's done more since then, and you can just use your headphones, he explains something like most/alot places that you upload your stuff to are requiring both versions now days, stereo and atmos/immersive and how that is only going to increase, and how most users listen with some sort of headphones/in ear things.

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know.

All the best. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2024 at 8:32 AM, Heath Row said:

He's done more since then, and you can just use your headphones, he explains something like most/alot places that you upload your stuff to are requiring both versions now days, stereo and atmos/immersive and how that is only going to increase, and how most users listen with some sort of headphones/in ear things.

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know.

All the best. 👍

Thanks Heath Row,

Much appreciated.  After you mentioned Dolby Atmos on the Headphones, I read a few great article.  I am looking more into it now. 👍

• Like 1