Favourite coffee?

7 hours ago, craigb said:

Once that's corrected (I even have a course I can put online if anyone's interested), you can actually drink coffee and go right to sleep if you needed to (not recommended though since it can cause acid-reflux).

The bane of my life for the last decade. The one thing that tremendously helped ironically came about as a result of the breakup with my ex-wife in 2020. It messed me up so much that I could barely eat - usually maybe a quarter of an oven baked chicken breast with some greens, at most.

Decreasing portions so dramatically seem to reset my stomach. I had been chewing antacid tablets like candy for years. I went on for a few months without any reflux at all, even when I drank wine on the weekends. Even the food that used to trigger reflux was no longer a problem. 

The other thing that helped was not taking antacids. Sometimes putting up with a bit of discomfort for a bit is preferable to the quick fix. I've started using them a lot more sparingly and it seems to work better for me. I can go entire weeks without using any.

That being said, and almost back on topic, I still have a favorite coffee mug...

11885784_10153163178042582_7507680882345659220_o.thumb.jpg.832e17e414bf6bf15d355e1a685ecfad.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rain said:

I had been chewing antacid tablets like candy for years. I went on for a few months without any reflux at all, even when I drank wine on the weekends. Even the food that used to trigger reflux was no longer a problem. 

I had a bad acid reflux problem, usually in the middle of the night (one reason for not drinking coffee after noon) however... I discovered that the LAST thing you want to do is try to neutralize the acid!  The issue is actually the opposite!  You need to ADD acid during your meal so the food gets digested properly.  In my case, I started having what amounts to about a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (a.k.a., ACV) in about eight ounces of water after every meal.  At first the taste made me wince, but now I don't even notice!

Oh, and I haven't had acid reflux ONCE since I've been taking ACV!  Well, there was one time, but that was the one and only day that I had forgotten to take my ACV!

What a difference!!!

Side-note:  That mug is from the first rock and roll album that I ever owned! 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:52 AM, craigb said:

I had a bad acid reflux problem, usually in the middle of the night (one reason for not drinking coffee after noon) however... I discovered that the LAST thing you want to do is try to neutralize the acid!  The issue is actually the opposite!  You need to ADD acid during your meal so the food gets digested properly.  In my case, I started having what amounts to about a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (a.k.a., ACV) in about eight ounces of water after every meal.  At first the taste made me wince, but now I don't even notice!

Oh, and I haven't had acid reflux ONCE since I've been taking ACV!  Well, there was one time, but that was the one and only day that I had forgotten to take my ACV!

What a difference!!!

I started drinking coffee with milk and sugar, and that always diffused any reflux. I confirmed this recently by skipping milk or creamer for 2 days. My coffee cups have no stains because 've always had at least milk/half & half, so I know tht helps.

That said, I always partake in ACV! But I don't have had coffee plenty of times without ACV to consider it a fact for me. YMMV.

image.png.9d607b862920fd2a6d8ac48bbcd08b4f.png

Except whole bean. Grind myself with burr grinder.  

image.thumb.png.e27718d1af735bde3e013b191503b4d2.png

Again, whole bean.

I drink both espresso style with steamed heavy whipping cream and a shot of chocolate.  Mmmm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grem said:

image.png.9d607b862920fd2a6d8ac48bbcd08b4f.png

Except whole bean. Grind myself with burr grinder.  

image.thumb.png.e27718d1af735bde3e013b191503b4d2.png

Again, whole bean.

I drink both espresso style with steamed heavy whipping cream and a shot of chocolate.  Mmmm

Just don't use those coffees together or you'll wipe out the whole Community? 😂

• Haha 1

Peet's Columbian. I usually prefer to grind my own, but for this, I make an exception.

Peet's headquarters and roastery is here in the town of Alameda, and is probably the business I'm most proud of being local, except of course for the mighty Ole's Waffle Shop.

@craigb So I should take acid before bed to avoid acid reflux? I have some prescription ketamine lozenges, would those work as well? 😄

Edited by Starship Krupa

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

@craigb So I should take acid before bed to avoid acid reflux? I have some prescription ketamine lozenges, would those work as well? 😄

[serious answer]Acid reflux happens when your food isn't digested properly before sleeping (i.e., there isn't enough acid available).  By providing more acid with your meal you help the stomach digest the food and it doesn't cause the problem when you sleep.  Unfortunately, Big Pharma does not want you to fix the problem, they want to provide a treatment that actually keeps the issue going (requiring you to continue to use their product, heck they even recommend going on a daily regiment of their stuff!).

As for the Ketamine lozenges, those are meant for a very different issue and I, personally, recommend against using Ketamine except in rare circumstances and under the guidance of a qualified medical person.  I work with a group using holistic treatment methods and have seen more than one very bad reaction from Ketamine which can be very addictive among other health risks.[/serious answer]

[fun]All of that said, if you can take acid and still get to sleep, then you are much different than everyone else I know! 🤣 acid.gif[/fun]

Edited by craigb

Just now, craigb said:

As for the Ketamine lozenges, those are meant for a very different issue

One that I, unfortunately, suffer from. It is VERY treatment-resistant, as the term goes (as if it's the fault of the disorder rather than the failure of the effort to treat it).

2 minutes ago, craigb said:

I, personally, recommend against using Ketamine except in rare circumstances and under the guidance of a qualified medical person.

My circumstances are, unfortunately among the rare ones I believe you are referring to. And as a recovering substance abuser I have to be really really vigilant about possible relapse triggers. So my treatment is under the care of not one but two physicians.

• Like 1