Close to Home - Mix 3

Kevin Walsh

This is a first mix that, after having posted, noticed some manic piano towards the end. Please ignore that. I'm looking for feedback on the mix and overall sound, plus anything else you want to point out. Thank you!

Update: The link now points to mix 2. I've actually punched up the arrangements some and I think it's a better mix but I'm thinking I'm too aggressive on the master bus because to me the dynamics have suffered some in places. Feedback is welcome.

Update: Mix 3 is now posted. Thanks for your help!

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, KSband said:

Sounds pretty good, it's a good song. I would trim the length some.

Thanks for listening! I really tried to pare ot back some, but I like it the way it is and it's not like I'm going to lose a record deal if I don't. :D

• Like 1

Kevin , Great guitar work and treatment on them.   I think you could bring the vox up a little. Especially during the sections with the high harmonys coming in. Very good job on the vocals. I Really liked the "airy" sound on the smooth lower sections. I think punching the chorus sections would give it more of that "Floyd" feeling. 

Loved it ..   mark

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

31 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Kevin , Great guitar work and treatment on them.   I think you could bring the vox up a little. Especially during the sections with the high harmonys coming in. Very good job on the vocals. I Really liked the "airy" sound on the smooth lower sections. I think punching the chorus sections would give it more of that "Floyd" feeling. 

Loved it ..   mark

Thanks for listening Mark and thanks for your great feedback. Your comments match exactly the notes I wrote on the back of an envelope when I was listening to the last mix last night.  I'll be posting and updated mix soon.

Superb guitar tone, nice song and vocals.  If you are looking for suggestions, I'd do something with the drums.  Maybe a touch of reverb.  Are these live drums or midi?  Sounds like you used a click track?  If these are midi, then I think maybe look at adjusting some of the volumes to add punch to the snares, and some minor adjustments on the fills?  Not sure, but it might work out well.

23 hours ago, KSband said:

trim the length some

Yup

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Great guitar work and treatment on them.   I think you could bring the vox up a little

Ditto

On 4/9/2024 at 12:20 AM, Kevin Walsh said:

This is a first mix

I'll hold the "like" for the final mix...

t

2 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Superb guitar tone, nice song and vocals.  If you are looking for suggestions, I'd do something with the drums.  Maybe a touch of reverb.  Are these live drums or midi?  Sounds like you used a click track?  If these are midi, then I think maybe look at adjusting some of the volumes to add punch to the snares, and some minor adjustments on the fills?  Not sure, but it might work out well.

Great feedback Steve. I used drum midi. After reading this I listened again and your critiques are spot-on. Muchas gracias!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Yup

Ditto

I'll hold the "like" for the final mix...

t

Thanks for listening, tom!

I know it's a long song and I'm grateful to everyone who listened to the whole thing. Given the number of thread views vs. the number of listens it's obvious that the length of the song is a deterrent to people playing the song, let alone sticking around to critique it. 

It's a rare thing to have folks like you and the others willing to spend the time to help me knock the rough edges off these songs in the first place, and even more so when the song is as long as it is. 

So, thank you all for doing me the honor of listening and commenting, it's appreciated more than I can express.

Edited by Kevin Walsh

When I was a teen I listened to a lot of jazz and prog rock with 10 or 15 min songs, or "Thick as a Brick" on the whole side of the record. Now I seem to have a short attention span, anything over 4 min and I'm spent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

This is one of your best, Kevin.  I very much like it as is.  Sometimes you need a longer song in your catalog to balance things out.  The mix is spot on!  Take a bow.

Thanks, Lynn, I appreciate your support! Cutting something out of this one is like asking which one of my children should i put up for adoption. :)

Warm sounding mix for me, as noted the kit needs a little work and the vox needs to come up in places, no final judgment (ha ha ha) till the remix.

But so far it is nice no problems with the length either, I like long songs

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to Close to Home - Mix 2
17 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Kevin

Love this - guitars sound excellent and the track has an overall sort of Floydy feel to it - in my book a very good thing!A great track, excellent

Oh and thought the mix was good

Nigel

Always appreciate your feedback, Nigel. Yeah, I was going for a Pink Floyd Doo Wop kind of a vibe. :) 

12 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Warm sounding mix for me, as noted the kit needs a little work and the vox needs to come up in places, no final judgment (ha ha ha) till the remix.

But so far it is nice no problems with the length either, I like long songs

Thanks for the feedback and the listen! When you say warm, do you mean the top end is excessively suppressed? Second mix is up so I'm looking forward to your critique on it.

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to Close to Home - Mix 3