An Old Friend Of Mine

Barry Seymour

Killer acoustic tone (is that a 12 string?) and some lovely chord inversions too.

The vocal is truly excellent and I love the lyrics.

I'm not entirely convinced by the addition of the drums - some light percussion maybe but these feel just a little heavy - but that's just taste and fancy and one guy's opinion.

Don't let that minor crit detract from what is a great song - I loved it.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Killer acoustic tone (is that a 12 string?) and some lovely chord inversions too.

The vocal is truly excellent and I love the lyrics.

I'm not entirely convinced by the addition of the drums - some light percussion maybe but these feel just a little heavy - but that's just taste and fancy and one guy's opinion.

Don't let that minor crit detract from what is a great song - I loved it.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback. That's a Yamaha A1M Acoustic. I love the tone of Yamahas. I fingerpicked one channel and flatpicked the other, then panned them left and right.

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, garybrun said:

Very nice acoustic sounds and separation.
Great vocal too Barry with good lyrics.
Is the other instrument a clarinet?

Well done.

BBC Orchestra plugin. Clarinets and bassoons, then a full string section.

Thanks, Gar!

• Like 1

As always Barry your storytelling is top notch. Production and performance as well. As far as the drums, would hand percussion work?; absolutely. But as Andy said it all comes down to what works for you in the moment. 

Now Tom’s crit: d’addario half rounds! They are the “squeak killers”. Buy an extra “g”. You can thank me later….

t

just a reminder, it only takes a moment to like and comment. ( thank you @garybrun )

• Like 1

Nice work. The acoustics are a super tone, but ultimately, a tad brighter maybe? If you're going for that 'quick decay' bass from 70's rock, then you got it nailed. Voice is up front, which is stellar! 🙂 And a great voice at that.  Kick and bass buried, but maybe that's the style you're going for, so it's cool. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martin Bannet said:

Nice work. The acoustics are a super tone, but ultimately, a tad brighter maybe? If you're going for that 'quick decay' bass from 70's rock, then you got it nailed. Voice is up front, which is stellar! 🙂 And a great voice at that.  Kick and bass buried, but maybe that's the style you're going for, so it's cool. 

Thank you. Funny you should say that about the kick, someone else thought the drums were a bit much.

I do want to strive for a richer bass sound, and maybe the kick drum could come up a bit.  I'm gonna play with it over the weekend. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

Hi Barry

I like this - the Guitar tone is great

I know what Andy and tom said re the drums - i agree but this really is a personal thing

Apart from that very minor thing, this is an Excellent track

Cool

Nigel

• Like 1

Excellent songwriting as always..I hear the drum track being slid about  minus 10-30 ticks or so..(the mix sounds good but my ears have problems with  the processing you're using, a  psychoacoustic- spatial-width type plugin.. but that's just me)

Edited by hsmusic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hsmusic said:

Excellent songwriting as always..I hear the drum track being slid about  minus 10-30 ticks or so..(the mix sounds good but my ears have problems with  the processing you're using, a  psychoacoustic- spatial-width type plugin.. but that's just me)

What do you mean "you hear the drum track being slid?"

The spacer is a plugin called 'Wider.' I always thought it was subtle, I'm interested to hear what problems your ears have with it. (I don't wanna cause problems! 😊)

Looking forward to your response; thanks for the feedback.

30 minutes ago, Barry Seymour said:

What do you mean "you hear the drum track being slid?"

The spacer is a plugin called 'Wider.' I always thought it was subtle, I'm interested to hear what problems your ears have with it. (I don't wanna cause problems! 😊)

Looking forward to your response; thanks for the feedback.

To me when the drums kick in it's dragging a bit..could be a bit of latency if recorded in real time..

Don't mind my ears,  imagers or aural exciters do it to me..the high end, a kind of phase & balance effect. I wouldn't sweat it if sounds good to you or others..again great tune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hsmusic said:

To me when the drums kick in it's dragging a bit..could be a bit of latency if recorded in real time..

Don't mind my ears,  imagers or aural exciters do it to me..the high end, a kind of phase & balance effect. I wouldn't sweat it if sounds good to you or others..again great tune.

That actually could be due to the fact that I first recorded to a click track, then added in drums later. The drums are actually accurate, it's everything else that's probably off.  I'll have to research what I can do about that... Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

I'll have to research what I can do about that...

Assuming the drums are a midi track. “Bounce to clip” all the drum midi. Then in the “Inspector” the “start time” will be shown. You can move that start time forward or backward on the timeline by “ticks”. When the  “feel” is right, lock the midi clip. 

hsmusic is suggesting minus 20-30 ticks. It depends on the “resolution” your using. That’s set in the preferences. I believe that 960 ticks per quarter note is “default” these days. I generally use 240, back in the day 120 was pretty common…

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

Assuming the drums are a midi track. “Bounce to clip” all the drum midi. Then in the “Inspector” the “start time” will be shown. You can move that start time forward or backward on the timeline by “ticks”. When the  “feel” is right, lock the midi clip. 

hsmusic is suggesting minus 20-30 ticks. It depends on the “resolution” your using. That’s set in the preferences. I believe that 960 ticks per quarter note is “default” these days. I generally use 240, back in the day 120 was pretty common…

t

I'm reluctant to move everything. Maybe just that opening salvo.

Barry , I Love your vocals on this! They're nice , clear and have a lot of impact . Nothing is being lost on the trailing end of the phrases. I Think the sense of space in them is Perfect , and I loved the add lib parts late in the song.  

Great guitar playing and mix! I really liked the suttle differences between the left and right tracks, and the tone and capture of both of them. String squeeks either work or they don't .. They were a little excessive , but I wouldn't edit them out. They worked for me.  Probabably a minor EQ cut where they live would tame them a little. 

Bass didn't work for me. I think a Lot more bottom end would work better. I'm looking forward to hear what you do this weekend.

My first thoughts, (before reading any comments)..  was the when the drums came in, they were accidentily sitting in the wrong spot in the timeline.  They are definetely dragging and pulling the energy out. I'm sure you will find an easy fix. I'd just try to line the snare up with one of your consistant other tracks that are driving the beat.

Fantastic song , and I Loved the tonal quality of the guitars and Vox.    Enjoyed it ..   mark

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Barry Seymour said:

Maybe just that opening salvo

Then split the drum clip and move only the part that needs it. Save a backup copy BEFORE you do anything. Deselect “copy audio” and leave the backup copy in the same folder. You don’t need/want two copies of all the audio tracks. Am I right the drums are midi?

t

• Like 2