Cakewalk Next or Cakewalk Sonar?

Having been a Cake user on and off since 1994 (Cakewalk Apprentice) and having used most of the upgrades in that time I would appreciate some advice.

I write and record music. Audio, and midi (with the use of softsynths), and plug ins for audio/midi effects.  The main feature for me is audio editing and  I have read that Cakewalk Next does not include this feature. 

Could anyone confirm this and if so do they know what other 'key' features may have been omitted from Next?

Also, with the above in mind is my best bet to go with Sonar?

Thank you.

Personally it would have to be Sonar, I see Next as an introductory DAW, possibly even competition, but with more function,  with a certain fruit based computers supplied DAW. 

• Like 1

While all the above are the correct answer, there is another one to think about, at present you can have them both for a year st s discount of 30%, either $10.99 for the first month the $14.99 for the remaining 11, or $104.99 for the first year, then $149.50 for any further year/years you choose to continue. You can cancel at anytime, but you best read up the terms etc if you decided to go down this path.

You basically get both Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar and a heap of extras, 'perks' that may or may not be of interest to you.

https://blog.bandlab.com/bandlab-membership/

I think that will get you there, how long the 30% discount lasts I know not.

• Like 1

@Heath Row 

“If you’ve been eyeing a subscription, you can save a sweet 30% off both monthly and annual Membership plans now in our Easter sale! That’s as low as $10.50 USD for exclusive creator tools, sweet artist services, platform perks, and more.“

Here's a more informative another link to the membership "deal":
https://www.bandlab.com/membership
the blog post leaves out the end date of April 6th and has the first month price incorrect...

The thing that is NOT spelled out clearly; is $10.50 the first month or 12 months?
See below: its $10.99 for the first month, $14.99 thereafter...

Given the nature of music software and related “services”, you’re surprised that a “discount” is being offered? Pretty much, with most vendors; NEVER PAY RETAIL!!!

I’m pretty sure this will continue to fill pages of forum threads…

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

What I think you were saying about the discount being for the first of ' ' then changing back after that. Or I have just missed the boat completely and am drowning in a sea of misunderstanding.

12.30am here, I'm of to get some sleep, big day tomorrow. Have a good one 👍

10 hours ago, Heath Row said:

off ( fixed that for ya) to get some sleep

What I said (paraphrased) is, it’s not “clear” that the monthly subscription price will remain at $10.50.  was WRONG!
BTW, the deal “ends” April 6; but as we all know it’s NOT uncommon that “deals” get extended. We don’t know how BL works yet. (if this was say, IKM, we’d figure the “deal” would last for months?

sleep well 💤

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

All I can say is anyone who has used Cakewalk would never survive using Next. The best example is Cakewalk’s user manual is over 1,900 pages and Next’s manual is only 246 pages. 
It is totally nothing todo with Cakewalk or Sonar it is like using a completely different brand. You can’t open Cakewalk by Bandlab projects. 
It is more aimed at the people who have been using the Bandlab app so they can work on a computer instead of a mobile device. 
You have nothing to loose by signing up for the free 3 day demo. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

What I said (paraphrased) is, it’s not “clear” that the monthly subscription price will remain at $10.50. 
BTW, the deal “ends” April 6; but as we all know it’s NOT uncommon that “deals” get extended. We don’t know how BL works yet. (if this was say, IKM, we’d figure the “deal” would last for months?

sleep well 💤

t

I thought it was pretty clear, it states "$10.99 on first month, Then $14.95 per month" with a similar thing for the Yearly Sub.

8 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Next is not Sonar. I don't know what Next does, but it's not Sonar. John (above) has test-driven it a lot since its release.

Yes, I think most of us realize that Next is not Sonar :)

There may be some uses for next for some, a quick sketch pad for when you are traveling etc, who knows what use it may be for some, it may/does suit some different 'Genres'? The OP may be interested in having both, who knows, some may want it for certain features such as the stem separation etc etc, I was just pointing the option out to him.

Edited by Heath Row
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

All I can say is anyone who has used Cakewalk would never survive using Next. The best example is Cakewalk’s user manual is over 1,900 pages and Next’s manual is only 246 pages. 
It is totally nothing todo with Cakewalk or Sonar it is like using a completely different brand. You can’t open Cakewalk by Bandlab projects. 
It is more aimed at the people who have been using the Bandlab app so they can work on a computer instead of a mobile device. 
You have nothing to loose by signing up for the free 3 day demo. 

Yeah but as pwal pwal pointed out on 'Beyond My DAW', the first 100 pages were for operation, and the next 1800 for workarounds. :)

"Can't open CbB projects" but I beleive it can go the other way? if so someone who was travelling and used it to sketch out an idea may find it useful later on to get it back into Sonar?

"You have nothing to loose by signing up for the 3 day demo" Yes I thought of that, but I have pretty much decided not to bother, and if I need a second DAW for any reason I'll go with REAPER. Studio One is and will be for the foreseeable future my number 1 DAW, no intentions of changing that.

Edited by Heath Row

57 minutes ago, Heath Row said:

I thought it was pretty clear, it states "$10.99 on first month, Then $14.95 per month"

The "buy" page most surely does... (try getting there if you already have an account and subscription)

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

5 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Clearly it does NOT! Read the quote from the blog You linked to. “30% off both monthly”; again I am not an attorney, so am I right? Only time will tell. But clearly half truths and agitation do not elevate the forum. 

t

What I quoted, is what it says on the site where you click the button to buy it. So clearly it DOES!

"But clearly half truths and agitation do not elevate the forum. " Indeed

anyway, it is no longer any concern to me, hope you get it sorted should you choose to want to purchase

Edited by Heath Row