XLSX - Call me back...

XLSX Music

Here is my latest track,

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/xlsx/call-me-back

All mixed and mastered in Cakewalk but with all third party plugins. My workflow is so much quicker in Cakewalk now as I have a really good track template set up with everything I need, and have created a lot of FX chains for things I commonly use.

For this song I wanted to create a nice fun short one, that is heavily influenced by the bitter tongue in cheek breakup songs on Brand New's debut album 'Your favourite weapon' which was one of my favourites back when I was a teenager.

I would welcome any feedback and would be really grateful for a follow if you enjoy it.

• Like 1

I'll tell you why I like this: It's so very far from what I do or what I ever could do.  (I'm from a era you probably can't conceive of). And yet, I very much recognize the merit and validity of this work. Short and sweet. And so damned tight it squeaks.  All in all, a very clever little tune. I can easily imagine a band of 21-year-olds playing this live in front of a thousand jumping puppies.  All the best... - Daniel

15 hours ago, Sailor55 said:

I'll tell you why I like this: It's so very far from what I do or what I ever could do.  (I'm from a era you probably can't conceive of). And yet, I very much recognize the merit and validity of this work. Short and sweet. And so damned tight it squeaks.  All in all, a very clever little tune. I can easily imagine a band of 21-year-olds playing this live in front of a thousand jumping puppies.  All the best... - Daniel

Thanks so much Daniel. I really appreciate your comments and you taking the time to listen. I'm actually 36 now but it's definitely a throwback to when I was younger and the album that mainly influenced it was by a bunch of 18 year old at the time.

9 hours ago, KSband said:

That's a great track, a real toe tapper, very well done!

Thanks for listening. I definitely wanted something short and catchy so glad it got you tapping 🙂

Nice song, definitely brings me back (I'm from roughly the same era). I wish this would be the current rock sound on the radio.

If I might add a point of critique, it might be my speakers right now, but the vocal seems a bit seperated from the instrumental. Like the balance is just slightly off. It's just a bit dryer?

15 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

Nice song, definitely brings me back (I'm from roughly the same era). I wish this would be the current rock sound on the radio.

If I might add a point of critique, it might be my speakers right now, but the vocal seems a bit seperated from the instrumental. Like the balance is just slightly off. It's just a bit dryer?

Thanks for listening Nick. In regards to the vocals, getting the balance right is something I'm still struggling with and it feels like it's the final piece of the puzzle I've got to solve. I'll get there eventually 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XLSX Music said:

Thanks for listening Nick. In regards to the vocals, getting the balance right is something I'm still struggling with and it feels like it's the final piece of the puzzle I've got to solve. I'll get there eventually 🙂

I know the process, vocals are hard. I'm nowwhere near getting them right. Practice makes perfect.

3 hours ago, XLSX Music said:

Haha case in point. I'm mixing my next week's jam right now and I can't get the vocal volume right 🤣 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

First things first, great picture. This song is very cool, and the ending was a good touch📞

If it's not too much to ask, can I get that skulls number?😍

Haha, thanks for checking it out. I was super happy with the cover art. It's actually AI generated using Microsoft Bing Image generator.

I'm glad you liked the song, the ending works really well doesn't it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freddy j said:

What a powerhouse of a song.  Great performances, mix/master, vocals, arrangement, etc.  Great job on the lyrics as well -- I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek humour.

Thanks so much for the compliments Freddy!

Interesting point on the lyrics, the chorus just popped into my head one day and I wrote it down and when I sat down to write the full song they all just came to me straight away. It normally takes me ages to fill out the whole song.

Thanks for listening.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:42 AM, freddy j said:

What a powerhouse of a song.  Great performances, mix/master, vocals, arrangement, etc.  Great job on the lyrics as well -- I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek humour.

Exactly what Freddy said - wow second song today where I totally agree with Freddy - we must be getting in sync!!

Great song and great lyrics - really cool and enjoyable

Nigel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Exactly what Freddy said - wow second song today where I totally agree with Freddy - we must be getting in sync!!

Great song and great lyrics - really cool and enjoyable

Nigel

Thanks so much Nigel, I'm glad you enjoyed it 🙂