Soundcloud wants to force me into using a F2A app I dont want just to sign in.

It may be time for me to ditch Soundcloud

https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/20707203094043-Two-Factor-Authentication

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/google-forcing-2fa-users

My mind is made up .If I have to have to put up with this ......I will nuke my acct .

I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject if you happen to have any  .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

• kennywtelejazz changed the title to Soundcloud wants to force me into using a F2A app I dont want just to sign in.

i’m in France, I have this for my bank, Amazon, Paypal and various other shop services etc. I login then, they send an sms with a code which i input and i’m good to go. 99/100……… No biggie.

My telecom provider however gives me a choice - either using a password to login to their servers or using a pin code with a second code sent by their servers to my mobile. I never installed such an app on my iPhone, but obviously they are the provider who knows what they’ve hard wired in ……..

i find this second method intrusive. So for the moment I make sure remember my password.

It’s supposed to increase security…………

BUT, in your case,. I’d probably tell them where to put it and go elsewhere.

J

Jeremy Oakes !

According to your post it seems this process is no biggie for you .I do appreciate you taking the time to share you thoughts and  feelings about this topic 🙂

I used to enjoy social media , buying software on line, sharing / posting tunes and making contacts with people I may never meet in real life ...

Those days seem over for me now because  the overall general vibe of the internet and how these big companies talk a big game and don't respect a persons right to privacy nor do they allow a person to maintain their personal autonomy ...

In a nutshell,  I am absolutely fed up with the amount of overreach Goggle and many of the online social media companies have been trying to force down my throat all these years..... all in the name of trying to protect me.... ( Yeah Right ).....

I think maybe " these powers that be "  should just cut to the chase  and put an implant of a butt bar code reader on my keister . This way they can scan and run a DNA test on everything I have drank and eaten as it leaves my body ...

Who knows maybe in 6 months they may even offer me a loyalty upgrade and give my 2 boys a motion detector to keep track of their libido .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

SMS is actually known as 2SV (two-step verification) which is not the same as 2FA (two factor authentication) which is much more secure, because it uses an app or token, unlike a text message which is easily spoofed.

Once you get used to it, 2FA via an app is a breeze but do you really need it for a service like SoundCloud? Debatable.  Depends how serious you are about your content I guess, but if the platform has enforced it there isn't much you can do apart from go elsewhere.

Should be a given for all financial sites though.

Andy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Two Factor Authentication is there to increase security and help protect privacy.

^^^^ It is exactly like the link in the OP reads... if someone steals your user name/password they would also need to steal your phone to get access to your account (if you set up SMS as your authentication method). Banks are pretty much forced to do this now because stealing passwords is so rampant. It is more often used when a monetary transaction can be made (i.e., you have a credit card/account on file), but is definitely there to help verify that the person logging in is really them.

Edited by mettelus

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

SMS is actually known as 2SV (two-step verification) which is not the same as 2FA (two factor authentication) which is much more secure, because it uses an app or token, unlike a text message which is easily spoofed.

Once you get used to it, 2FA via an app is a breeze but do you really need it for a service like SoundCloud? Debatable.  Depends how serious you are about your content I guess, but if the platform has enforced it there isn't much you can do apart from go elsewhere.

Should be a given for all financial sites though.

Andy

Um, actually SMS stands for Short Messaging Service and has nothing to do with authentication.  (MMS is its bigger brother and stands for Multimedia Messaging Service).

There are several ways to implement 2FA which the most common being a texted PIN and having to use an Authenticator app.  

9 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Two Factor Authentication is there to increase security and help protect privacy.

It's also easier than waiting for an SMS (or an e-mail) to arrive and then type in a code.  With a 2FA app on a phone, its Soundcloud tab will automatically produce the number that needs to be entered.   No waiting.  And if you take too long, just enter the next number that comes up on the App.

The single 2FA app will also work with any number of accounts that offer it.  I have 14 on mine and it works for a number of accounts that are important to me, including Ubisoft, GitHub, Discord, etc.

Also, each account provides a list of backup codes that you can keep somewhere (off your phone or wherever you have the 2FA app).  This helps if your phone fails or you lose it.

Another advantage for me is that I don't have to keep lots of passwords around, although I do have a password safe on my desktop PC.  And I use a password generator there, so the passwords are a bit long and not memorable.  I have memorized very few passwords.

Edited by orcmid
PS on my password practices

8 hours ago, craigb said:

Um, actually SMS stands for Short Messaging Service and has nothing to do with authentication.  (MMS is its bigger brother and stands for Multimedia Messaging Service).

There are several ways to implement 2FA which the most common being a texted PIN and having to use an Authenticator app.  

Sorry, I wasn't trying to confuse people, SMS does indeed stand for short message service but the use of text messages (i.e. a PIN number) as a secondary authentication factor for a login is generally known as 2SV.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/setting-2-step-verification-2sv

The term is used interchangeably these days to include 2FA, but strictly speaking there is a difference in the level of security,

Andy

15 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

So the consensus here is I'm probably better off if I just stop wrestling  the whole internet and get this thing .

Kenny

5 hours ago, pwal³ said:

yep, it's not going to go away

I have 10 years worth on my music on my Soundcloud page . Most of my time on S.C. for about 8 years  was as a paying Pro customer .

After missing a couple of months I went to go back to the Pro plan and over a short period of time they wanted twice what I had been paying for the whole previous 8 years of monthly membership fees  ( non negotiable)

Sure they have a right to run the business the way they see fit .Yet the audacity this company has thinking if I don't get with their agenda simply pisses me off .

Having said that  It would be safe for me to say I'm not seeing this the way most of the people here that are OK with this are seeing it .

For what ever so posed security and peace of mind this way of signing seems to offer it is BS In My not so H.O. 

I would like to be given a plain and simple  choice such as if I want to add their security fine if not let me take my chances . I am not being given a choice between complying and using the app / sign in process . As far as I'm concerned it goes a lot deeper than that for me . If I do not comply with this intrusion  I will effectively become locked out from my acct and I will no longer be able to sign in and even edit my older songs and content from the previous 10 years ...let alone add something new .

That process in effect means S C gets to hold my hard earned musical offerings as HOSTAGE .

Anybody here remember PhotoBucket and the move they pulled ? Yep That was another take it or leave it company move that literally ruined things for every thread and online post where Photobucket was involved   😉

Kenny

PS :This reminds me of a time in my youth when I was in Reform School during the hard winter Christmas season of 1856 . I was asked to chose what  I wanted for my Christmas gift .I had to chose if I wanted to still receive my daily allotment of Becan  . So YES I had to chose wisely .

At the time my only 2 choices were  a brand new sledgehammer for pounding rocks in the yard or a brand new shiny set of full body shackles  🤪

I decided to escape and I  eventually made off with the wardens daughter .After 8  years on the run we eventually received a pardon from Honest Abe  ....

This story contained is the  PS was spoken to honor the immortal words of Pinocchio. Whom after telling his side of the story said to his wife !

" Yes dear I'm coming to bed now that I got my nose ready for action" :P

Edited by kennywtelejazz

I got a message from Google a few weeks ago the my forum credentials were compromised and I changed my passwords immediately.

The 2 factor and the authorization thing isn't as bad as it seems. There's an official Google Authemticstor app that is used to do the authentication if I remember correctly. I had to use it once or twice. There's the initial setup then I never had to do it again. I can't even remember what I had to use it for to be honest. 

Irt my password from here being put out on the net, if you save your passwords in Chrome they are checked regularly. I think how it works is, if you use the Google Authenticator the password can't be changed unless it's done from the location the Authenticator was installed. It's been a long time since I did it but I think that's how it works.

IMO I think it's a good thing. I always have everything set to send me a code on my cell if there is a login from anything other than my cell or PC. Edit: let me rephrase and say that everything that has the security option to send a code. Not everything does.

Edited by Shane_B.