Annoying CbB Nag screen can't be viewed in tablet portrait position.

tdehan

My band had a live gig this past Saturday night.  As I've mentioned prior, my Surface laptop is NOT online when we perform live.  In order to work around the naggig NAG screen, I launched CbB with the Surface in landscape position.  This way I can see the count down and the CLOSE button allowing me to close it when the count down finishes.  When we perform I have the Surface attached to my Mic stand in portrait position.  I needed to restart the laptop which is now in portrait position and again, upon launching CbB the Nag screen is not completely visable, you can't move the Nag screen and as such you cannot see both the count down or access the CLOSE button.   Absolutely frustrating!!  You can't interact with CbB when this happens, you can't close it or do anything with it but perform an End Task.  This is insane!!  I needed to take the Surface out of the tablet holder, turn it to landscape position, relaunch CbB, wait the 20 second count down on the Nag screen and finally click the CLOSE button in order to access the daw in order to perform our sets!

36 minutes ago, Green Needle said:

Dude. I feel ya. Did you try reverting back to 2022.11? it works-no pop up.

Honestly this is such a let down from this company.

I agree.  It is certainly a let down and face slap from them.  It absolutely does not give me a warm and fuzzy about subscribing to the new Sonar...not if they pull this crap!

I replied in that other thread I didn't see this one so I'll post the same link here too. It's on my web site and has the details of how I do my one man band. I haven't finished the web page yet. But I have the info about what playback apps I use. https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/the-one-man-band

And don't bother trying to re install any older versions. That guy claimed he did but I tried it a dozen different ways and all were dead ends because you can install the software and it opens,  but you can't use it because it won't authorize.
They seemed to have figured all this out back in September.

They are totally screwing this transition up big time at this point. Sure they have a million people using Cakewalk but the minute it is no longer free. Poof.

But I'm to old a dog to learn a new trick. And besides. I still have X3 and Home Studio that don't need the internet. It would suck but only a little bit for me.

That's why I mentioned X3 or Home Studio as a viable option for you. No internet needed. If I ever used Sonar Live I'd use Home Studio because it would have everything I need and it's bulletproof.   

Edited by John Vere

6 hours ago, Green Needle said:

John, all i did was install 2022.11 right overtop of the latest, works like a charm.

No roll back driver or anything.

Still authorized and getting work done....

It will eventually need to reauthorise...  

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

It will eventually need to reauthorise...  

It will!

I am also using 2022.11, since the latest version does not support offline authorization until now! 👎 

But I had re-authorized my pcs before the old offline-auth was abandoned.

I sorry but I most certainly didn’t work for me.  It might just be a fluke were it works under certain conditions. The dialogue I got was not the usual sign in box, it had no graphics. Just a plain white box. And it refused my username and password even though I had just signed into Bandlab using the web page with exactly the same info. 
Im not interested in installing older versions of CbB anyway it’s a huge waist of time. 
I installed Home Studio instead.

Not bad for something I paid $35 for in 2014. A great  DAW with just about all the features I need. Solid as a rock. only thing missing is the regional effects engine. But you can still drag and drop audio to midi and use Melodyne. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Why don’t you look ?

J

I already have. "Promo.html" is just the object. The container/close button/frame timer is evidently coded into one of the API calls from the executables from last update, and I don't reverse engineer those.

Nice thought tho.

That being stated, my machines are always online, and I have yet to see it pop up.

So... if ET phones home, it's not a problem evidently. 

Edited by OutrageProductions

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

I replied in that other thread I didn't see this one so I'll post the same link here too. It's on my web site and has the details of how I do my one man band. I haven't finished the web page yet. But I have the info about what playback apps I use. https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/the-one-man-band

And don't bother trying to re install any older versions. That guy claimed he did but I tried it a dozen different ways and all were dead ends because you can install the software and it opens,  but you can't use it because it won't authorize.
They seemed to have figured all this out back in September.

They are totally screwing this transition up big time at this point. Sure they have a million people using Cakewalk but the minute it is no longer free. Poof.

But I'm to old a dog to learn a new trick. And besides. I still have X3 and Home Studio that don't need the internet. It would suck but only a little bit for me.

That's why I mentioned X3 or Home Studio as a viable option for you. No internet needed. If I ever used Sonar Live I'd use Home Studio because it would have everything I need and it's bulletproof.   

Great info John.  

I use an AirTurn bluetooth pedal to start each Cakewalk project in a song list from my Surface tablet.  As mentioned, after the song plays it loads the next song and waits for me to step on the pedal.  The pedal is configured as a Space Bar to start or stop the playback.   Does WinAmp allow for the use of a Bluetooth pedal in this fashion?

If the Bluetooth pedal can be programed for a spacebar, then it can also be programed for the X key which is play on Win Amp.  But you really need a minimum of 2 pedals to control Win Amp or Foobar.  Play, and song advance. Do they make double bluetooth pedals? or better yet 3 for Stop. 

I use Stop more than I should when I quickly realize I forgot to advance the song. I can tell by the first note it's wrong.

Whoops wrong song- STOP-ADVANCE-PLAY  = 2seconds   before anyone noticed.   I love my footswitch! 

I had a footswitch for my Atari midi rig. It used the Atari's Joystick port. The fire button was start, I had to build my own using a metal box and some push buttons and the cable cut off a perfectly good joystick. 

I got tired of lugging around all that heavy gear so switched to using Sony Mini Disk players in late 90's.  I really missed my footswitch. So it was the very first thing I looked for when I got my first laptop. 

But sounds to me like you should stick with Cakewalk if that's working. Especially if you are planning on playing keyboards. I was thinking of that myself. I used Cakewalk as a live Keyboard rig all last winter. A 2008 Laptop, Cakewalk and my Roland A49 controller, worked great. I used midi channels to swap instruments. I had 6 different VST in the project I used.  I also figured out how to use Midi learn for the volume of each track. So I had control from the keyboard. That and effects.    You could have it set up so each song has the VST instrument you want to play loaded up in it. How do you get midi out of a tablet? 

@John Vere The AirTurn Bluetooth pedal I use acutally has 4 pedals.  One pedal I use to start and if needed same pedal to stop playback (Spacebar) on the Surface.  2 of the other pedals I use to advance or go back song sheets (Page Up - Page Down on the Surface).  My Surface USB out goes to my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 which besides a USB in has MIDI in and out.  The MIDI out goes to the keybaord.  The Scarlett 4i4 stereo out goes to my Yamaha mixer board.

One of the advantages of using Cakewalk is that I can create Play Lists and after a song plays the next one is automatically loaded up waiting for me to hit the pedal on my AirTurn to start that song.  I don't have to manually advance to the next song.

I downloaded and installed WinAmp yesterday to play with it.  The first thing that I noticed is that the window is so small I can barely see anything in the window.  

You can get USB pedals too (cheap off Amazon so get a spare!) that are wired so less to go wrong.  I got one for home studio use  (3 pedals) - it works a charm, I just found I actually found it easier to continue using the PC keyboard* !

* So if anyone wants to buy it off me... 🙂

Win amp is resizable it’s  big enough for me and I’m half blind these days

Did you use one of the better skins. I use the Bento Modern. But possibly the new version is different. As I said I’m using a version from possibly 2010. 

Anyhow it most certainly sounds like you have a similar system to me already. Seems like the only problem is the stupid splash screen.  X3 will fix that! 
Have you gotten that fired up yet? 

Edited by John Vere