I've decided to stop everything and pursue my dreams!

craigb

It's now very rare that I sleep a long time contiguously.  About once a month I'll have a 12-hour marathon sleep session.

Sleep cycles are about 90 minutes for everyone which is why you can get a lot of sleep and wake up out-of-cycle and still feel tired; or get less sleep and wake up on-cycle and feel great.  I generally have two or three sleep sessions a day now.  Last night is a good example:  I slept from 9 pm until midnight (two cycles), then was up for three hours (two cycles), then back to sleep until 7:30 am (three cycles).  I ended up getting 7.5 hours of sleep (the so-called "8-hours" which they include falling to sleep and waking up in).  My naps are... wait for it... usually 90 minutes.  Works great for me, not so much for employers! 😆

That said, I'm VERY productive this way since I'm never forcing myself to stay awake to get work done, nor am I uselessly tossing and turning in bed because I can't sleep.

YMMV! 😁

• Like 1

I'm a nap-a-holic.

I work from home and I have a one hour lunch break. For the first 18 months, I used to spend 20-30 minutes downstairs in the home gym and then have lunch. But then  I injured my back and I started napping instead. I've been trying to get back to the old routine but I'm addicted to that power nap now. It's a struggle to get back on track but I am trying very hard this year.

I also take another short one (10 minutes) after dinner, before hitting the gym. And I'll occasionally squeeze another 10 minute nap before the Japanese lesson.

I'm glad I am able to take short naps. Some people aren't that lucky. Many of my ex gf's would take a nap with me and end up sleeping 2, 3 hours, and wake up all tired and confused.

Edited by Rain

10 hours ago, Rain said:

I'm glad I am able to take short naps. Some people aren't that lucky

I set an alarm on my phone, so I don't sleep too long. Usually I wake up before it goes off.

Being self-employed, I can set my own schedule. The only time I cannot is gig time, and that's something I would lose sleep to do.

I'm sure I put in much more than 40 hours per week total doing things like: learning new songs, making backing tracks for those songs, being the band salesman/booker, making Band-in-a-Box aftermarket styles, running the BiaB business, and so on. But other than schlepping the gear to and from the gigs, it doesn't seem like work. 

Even on non-gig days, I take time for a little power nap. I get 6.5 at night, less than a half for nap, and that makes 7 total hours sleeping. That seems to be all I need.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

My work day ends at 3:00PM. Typically that is nap time. The Lovely Lady says I cannot start a nap after 4:00PM because I end up keeping her up until midnight. My typical nap time is 1 hour, but occasionally (weekends) I can grab 2 - 2.5 hours especially with a raging migraine.