What makes Sonar Platinum a good choice for Cakewalk users?

CSistine

Because I like to enter MIDI data in Cakewalk (PRV) and because we don't know what the future of Sonar of Sonar will be, I opened Sonar Platinum today to enter some MIDI and noticed all is very fine as long as I have Splat.

By this occasion I noticed that a bug that has annoyed me since a long time is not existent in Sonar Platinum, e.g. if you change the time of a note in the Event Inspector with the little +/- buttons and then leave the time field, then the time is not changed (reset to its former value). In Splat that works as it should! In CbB it works only if you press enter.

Though there have been some nice additions in CbB, I am not that much convinced that it has less bugs then Sonar Platinum. Many of the so-called bug fixes were caused of the new features like the Arranger, the new tempo track and so on. And frankly, some of those new goodies suffer until today IMHO.

So is Sonar Platinum an option to replace CbB?

1 hour ago, Sistine said:

is Sonar Platinum an option to replace CbB?

It was until they borked the CCC a few months back. Now it's only good for as long as my current pc's last.

Edit: It works on one PC now, still won't even run on the other.

Edited by paulo
  • Great Idea 1

Choose whatever DAW works for you. It doesn't matter if it's Audacity from 2005, Garage Band or SONAR 6. I could have frozen time at SONAR 8.5 and it wouldn't have bothered me at all, given that that version was stable and had every feature I needed.

But then, I'm a dinosaur from the days of analog tape, a time when technology wasn't the enabler that it is today. For some, having an extensive loop library is critical to their creative process. Others love the ability to treat a composition as a series of chunks that you can move around like Lego blocks. Many are inspired by tools that generate MIDI sequences or turn a one-note drone into complex polyrhythms. Whatever floats yer boat.

So why does an old-school player like me keep up with the latest versions and get excited by the prospect of Sonar coming back as a mainstream DAW? It's not the major gee-whiz features, but rather the many, many little usability enhancements that cumulatively help the DAW disappear into the background. The best DAW is the one you don't have to think about. The one that doesn't intrude into your zone of creativity. So if you're already there with SPLAT, carry on and be happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

But now trying to install Pro Tools demo & failed due to my old Windows 7.

The only reason is LATENCY

For years I've been trying and checking all kinds of settings on DAW and computer, but to me it sounds like there's a massive latency

somewhere, on all my computers...whatever I do, at all sample rates/settings and even without plugins...anything I print or aux/record just ends up lame.

Bummer.

Edited by Sheens
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, paulo said:

It was until they borked the CCC a few months back. Now it's only good for as long as my current pc's last.

I thought my Platinum was gone forever so I uninstalled what I could.  Then I discovered that there is a CCC replacement and that's needed because Platinum and other things were moved to legacy.cakewalk.com.   The CCC 1.1.8 worked fine although I went through a bunch of reinstalls to get Platinum up and running.  It operates side-by-side with Cakewalk by BandLab just fine also.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sistine said:

So is Sonar Platinum an option to replace CbB?

I don't think so, although it has some updated common components.  I was told it is best to install CbB after SONAR Platinum since CbB updates to some components shared by both.  Hold onto both of them.

When BandLab comes out with their version of Sonar eventually, that will coexist with CbB and SONAR PLATINUM.  Then we can migrate slowly or not.  (Cakewalk.next is not part of that family, according to the announcement for it.)

• Thanks 1

I could have used 8.5 forever, with only minor adjustments here and there, and tiny cosmetic tweaks to the GUI, but really nothing drastic. In terms of layout and functionality, it felt very comfortable. If I had a powerful enough machine to run it, with the plugins I need, I'm sure I could work with it. As of right now however, it will load projects and let me export them, but that's about it.

I feel the same way about Logic 9, which is the software I switched too. 10 came out over 10 years ago but it's always a pleasure to go back and work with 9. It's so lean and clean. It feels a little more transparent to me. 

I love 10 as well, but I'm not really a fan of the way developers always make everything bigger, with big buttons, and I abhor stuff like track icons. Which is ironic since Logic has had those from as far as I can remember - even in the late 90's - but they were a little more subtle and easier to ignore.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, orcmid said:

I discovered that there is a CCC replacement and that's needed

Yep, that version of it won't even open on one of my pc's now. I have all the old installer files anyway, it's just the authorisation that might be an issue. I can't even remember how that worked with CCC to be honest. 

• Great Idea 1

This thread got me to thinking..... I'm old and don't want to have to worry whether or not the activation servers will "always" be there And new Sonars and Next are for the next gen (or else) . So I started up SPLAT and saw that it had the one feature I must have was there and that is the tempo extraction. Also noted that the synth rack was open by default. 

I think I go SPLAT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulo said:

It's just the authorisation that might be an issue. I can't even remember how that worked with CCC to be honest. 

When you open the latest CCC your user ID should show up in the top bar, on the left of the settings gear.  I don't recall if I had to authenticate with the installer or not when I upgraded to the Bandlab version of CCC.  

I do know when I click on my name it will link to (https://legacy.cakewalk.com/My-Account) .   If you have held onto your Cakewalk user and password information, you can log in there and that might also do the job.  Also,   If you are able to login there, you will see a button for downloading the now-supported CCC.

• Thanks 1