FOMO

David A Ludwig

Well, FOMO only applies when you truly *want* or *need* something and are afraid of missing it at a good price.  Do you really want/need a new DAW?  If not, then just be patient and wait for the one you want (which sounds like SONAR).

I never experience FOMO over things I don't want if I know I'll never use them irrespective of how good the deal is.

Cheers...

• Like 1

You just gave the anti-definition of FOMO. It's the fear of missing out on something even though you absolutely don't need or want it. Buying something just because it's a great deal, an industry standard, or just something generally beloved.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, David A Ludwig said:

Yes, I've got it, as all the DAWs are on sale. Am I being foolish not to jump as I wait hopefully for SONAR? 

Yup.   I use Cubase exclusively, but I do have FL Studio as well.   Got one of those Humble Bundles recently with Mixcraft 9, and now I'm eyeing that $29 upgrade to Mixcraft 10.

5 hours ago, David A Ludwig said:

Yes, I've got it, as all the DAWs are on sale. Am I being foolish not to jump as I wait hopefully for SONAR? 

Are you happy /proficient with Cakewalk? 
Do you have the time to commit to learning another DAW? or is that time / effort going to be a creative distraction?
Worse case of postponing purchasing another DAW maybe that you'll have to wait to next BF to catch similar sales. 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, husker said:

Yup.   I use Cubase exclusively, but I do have FL Studio as well.   Got one of those Humble Bundles recently with Mixcraft 9, and now I'm eyeing that $29 upgrade to Mixcraft 10.

I've tried to love Mixcraft so much, but something just feels slightly off for me to commit fully. Same with Waveform.

As for FOMO. I haven't been able to escape it and spent a bit too much to my liking.

Basically buying something at a 'great price' that I most definitely do not need (but is still 'nice to have'). With some sales, and especially with glitched sales, the mental gymnastics can really hit full force: "If I don't spend now, I'll have to spend more in the future! I'm doing this for tomorrow's sake!" 

But here's hoping I'll be less impulsive next year. Especially with string libraries. Oh, string libraries...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Worse case of postponing purchasing another DAW maybe that you'll have to wait to next BF to catch similar sales. 

This window may actually time well with the potential CbB de-activation phase after release, so I wouldn't get too worked up with it. Also bear in mind that a lot of vendors bent over backwards to accommodate SONAR users when Gibson yanked the rug out from under us. Most are aware and watching for what happens Next (pun intended), so I would expect sales to accommodate any potential "CbB refugee" situation in the coming year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, David A Ludwig said:

Thanks, just needed some reassurance. I guess, after six months, it would be nice to hear from the bakers... 

I completely understand where you're coming from,  David. While I own Studio One 3 Pro, which I bought when it looked like Cakewalk was closing their doors, I really only use Cakewalk by Bandlab and I've been hoping Bandlab would announce their pricing for Sonar soon so that I can decide whether to upgrade Studio One or go with Sonar. Of course,  I'd prefer to know the new Sonar pricing while Studio One upgrades are on sale. 

My hope is that Bandlab doesn't go subscription only, as that would be a deal breaker for me. I have a lot of Cakewalk projects and the easiest path for me is to still be able to use that format moving forward as opposed to having to convert everything to Studio One. 

EDIT: I largely agree with 
mettelus point that, at least some, Sonar competitors are likely to make special offers to Cakewalk users after Bandlab makes their pricing announcement.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1