[Not a deal] Native Instrument's recent survey - upcoming subscription services in 2024?

Kirean

So I got an email from Native about a survey they're conducting and how one could win amazing big prices by responding, yada yada.

Most of you have probably gotten the same thing.

Anyway, figured I'd check the questions since they are sometimes indicative of what's to come.

Basically all of it was geared towards 'how convenient subscriptions are' and 'aren't they a great deal' compared to buying perpetual. 

At the end of the questionnaire, they directly started asking price points for a three different subscription packages.

It really seems like that's gonna be their big push for next year.

While I understand that in a production studio setting, subs might make more sense as a business expense, I'm still gonna hug my physical copy of Adobe CS5, blurt out and say "screw subs".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

All for having subs as options, but they would definitely not see a cent from me again if they went subscription only, or tried to make perpetual a second class citizen like some companies do to try and incentivise people to subscribe.

That would just incentivise me to leave!

I haven't been excited about hardly any PA releases lately, apart from maybe one, so spending the $224 on the 2022 All Bundle from them has definitely been a cost saver for me instead of an annual subscription.

• Like 8

Even if they don't move to a subscription model it's unlikley I'll buy much more from them given that the quality/usefullness of their stuff has been on the decline for a while.  I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.  And fortunately we still have a gazillion choices.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, Rational said:

I'm with both of you on this. I. Don't. Do. Subs! Ever.

And if another company pulls a Waves type thing again, they're also on my never list.

These are words to live by.  No subs.  No Waves.  Especially the Waves things.  That was just plain tacky.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, locrian said:

the quality/usefullness of their stuff has been on the decline for a while

Source? lol.

I keep seeing these nonsense opinions around various forums. I don't think I've seen so many NI products being used as much in studios the last few years. 

That cinematic series (Arkhis, Straylight, Playbox, Noire, Thrill, Mysteria, Sequis, Rise & Hit, Lores, Ashlight, Cremona Quartet, Symphony Series (specifically brass & percussion), etc.) are all over film scores, trailers, ads, game scores, etc. They are used all the time in **** you hear every day. 

Their synths (Massive X, Form, TRK, Super 8, Razor, Monark, Prism, Blocks), their Play Series & gazillion expansions are all over EDM, hip-hop, trap, r'n'b, pop, world-pop (especially afropop, which is now taking over Western charts) & k-pop (which already has), and on and on. Things I routinely see being used at large studios or routinely hear in pop music: Modular Icons, Deft LInes, Glaze (especially), Analog Dreams, Hybrid Keys, and of course Massive X which has an enormous userbase in electronic pop. Maschine Expansions are of course a staple of charting drill, trap, rap / hip-hop. 

I see their effects being used everywhere, especially Replika XT, Raum, Softube emulations, RC set, and I guess now you can put PA and iZotope in the list, which are also ubiquitos, especially Ozone & PA's channel strips.

And then Kontakt, which needs no explanation.  Add to that all their legacy & new libraries: percussion (orchestral / trailer...including Action series, Damage), tuned percussion (inc. Mallet Flux), drums (incl. Abbey Road series), Session series, world music, guitar / bass (incl. entire Scarbee series), piano series, organ, choir, electric piano, the Battery 4 library & expansions.....like holy ****, what more they got to do? Haha.

Honestly - a single subscription that covers the Native Instruments / Plugin Alliance / iZotope catalog would be a cash cow for NI. Every single studio I've ever been in, and every producer I've ever worked for / with would subscribe on day 1.  As would thousands of production / composer studios all over the world. We're talking 100s and 100s of instruments & effects that cover every genre...at a very high level of quality & chart relevance.. and effects that cover the entire production chain, from mixing to mastering. You could work exclusively in this iZotope / NI / PA ecosystem and need literally nothing else. 

So ya - I hope they do a subscription. I have to update Komplete CE almost every year anyway. iZotope products constantly need updating. Already have PA sub. Combine ALL that **** into one yearly subscription fee and I'm in on day 1. Along with a gazillion other people. I don't think NI needs a survey to tell them this. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Meh 1

From the stratigy of PA after combined by NI, it seems they will try to transfer  the users to use their yearly subscription  as they won't supply as cheap single or bundles of plugins as before, neither the big discount vourcher.

They make the three brand working under same promotion mode, but without combining the cross-products with more attactive price, usually with some cheap basic bundles. The want more output but don't want to give up totoal profit what is impossible.

They want to try the wrong way again like Waves until they stand in front of the wall from the user. So let's see.

Edited by Moon OverSea

For me PA is a great example to demonstrate that subs are expensive and not reasonable in the end (at least for me and my purposes). I have purchased all from PA that I am interested in (even much more! I don't like or need the last 20 newcomer plugins). Now I don't need to pay a penny anymore, what I had to for years to come if I was on sub! Thus their calculation how profitable a sub would be for me (and I think for most musicians) is pure nonsense!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Let's hear your music. I want to hear the genius that comes out of your clearly superior libraries that somehow eclipse the endless stream of great scores and albums using this stuff daily.

Can't wait!

Maybe you have to throw some famous names of those who use NI libraries.

• Like 1

The name of the Native Instruments keyboard was “Komplete Kontrol” MK2.

I was wondering why NI deleted "KOMPLETE" and changed it to "Kontrol" MK3.

I thought it made sense when I thought of it as a declaration that I will fully introduce subscription services next year and have no intention of selling Komplete bundles from now on.

• Like 1

Im ok with subs if there is an option to buy the damn thing

I have Komplete Ultimate 14 CE… and will be first in line to upgrade to 15 when/if it comes out. But if they scrap that model and go full sub i will take my money and go somewhere else. 
One of the reasons (an irrational one) for having so many plugins is because i can buy them. 

Edited by GoncaloL
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, GoncaloL said:

Im ok with subs if there is an option to buy the damn thing

I have Komplete Ultimate 14 CE… and will be first in line to upgrade to 15 when/if it comes out. But if they scrap that model and go full sub i will take my money and go somewhere else. 
One of the reasons (an irrational one) for having so many plugins is because i can buy them. 

^^^^This.  Give me an option to buy it, even a rent to own thing works ok for me.  As long as I can own it in the end, I'm happy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Let's hear your music. I want to hear the genius that comes out of your clearly superior libraries that somehow eclipse the endless stream of great scores and albums using this stuff daily.

Can't wait!

Are you on NI's payroll?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jude77 said:

^^^^This.  Give me an option to buy it, even a rent to own thing works ok for me.  As long as I can own it in the end, I'm happy.

I do that with my Sweetwater card.  Some items have 3 year interest free financing.  I have Cubase and Studio One for $6 a month.

I think about upgrading to the CE edition but you have to evaluate that upgrade price vs, are you really getting that much amount in new stuff.  SSD prices have went up a bit.   That also has to be considered as well.    That is where a sample library sub has its advantages.   If you want  some sounds for short term, you download, then delete it.

• Like 2