TONEX ODS Legends Signature Collection

Heath Row

Apparently IK booked out a "top studio, with a great engineer" for this pack. It is getting excellent reviews from users. I wouldn't let any preconceived ideas, or personal bias's or grudges against IK or anything like that put you off, they sound excellent. I own all of the Amalgam, 99% of Jason Sadites, all Tone Junkies, Choptones, Matt Fig, Tone Factor, and many more, as far as I'm concerned these things are good, but each to their own of course, IMO, YMMV et. There is plenty of clean to be had, even if there wasn't any that were labeled 'Clean' you can just roll back the vol on your guitar, you can get clean, and the best clean of all, dirty clean, but thankfully there is plenty of clean, for me anyway.

Edited by heath row
  • Like 1

I have AmpliTube 5 Standard. I haven't bought Tonex so I'm on CS for that. 

Last night I played for hours using a user Tonex Preset called "Double Hi-Watt John Entwistle Bass" to work on a set of Live at Leeds we're going to do.

I been using all kinds of presets but my Tonex Account on Tone.net/tonex/users/dougs.ik "User Tone Models Downloads remaining" is still at 20/20.  I'm not even sure how to download presets. Do I only need to download presets if I'm going offline?

I find the Tonex pedal tempting. I could use it for when we record rehearsals direct to our Soundcraft Ui24R

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

I have AmpliTube 5 Standard. I haven't bought Tonex so I'm on CS for that. 

Last night I played for hours using a user Tonex Preset called "Double Hi-Watt John Entwistle Bass" to work on a set of Live at Leeds we're going to do.

I been using all kinds of presets but my Tonex Account on Tone.net/tonex/users/dougs.ik "User Tone Models Downloads remaining" is still at 20/20.  I'm not even sure how to download presets. Do I only need to download presets if I'm going offline?

I find the Tonex pedal tempting. I could use it for when we record rehearsals direct to our Soundcraft Ui24R

You click the Download Arrow to download them to use when ever you want.  That said, but careful as you only get 20 of them if you have the free version.

I was thinking that until you hit the download button you would be getting white noise every 10 seconds - seems odd if you are not experience this and have 20 left.

image.png.f4495cd3809bbefefbb9cf15f9b30e34.png

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 10:18 PM, Brian Walton said:

You click the Download Arrow to download them to use when ever you want.  That said, but careful as you only get 20 of them if you have the free version.

I was thinking that until you hit the download button you would be getting white noise every 10 seconds - seems odd if you are not experience this and have 20 left.

So the 20 downloads isn't 20 slots you can rotate? Good to know. I actually thought you can only have 20 downloaded at a time 😀

I don't think I've been getting white noise every 10 seconds. I'm using Tonex from AT5 running under Cantabile. I'll go back and check - the Hiwatt live at Leeds patch has a realistic noise floor. 

2 hours ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

So the 20 downloads isn't 20 slots you can rotate? Good to know. I actually thought you can only have 20 downloaded at a time 😀

I don't think I've been getting white noise every 10 seconds. I'm using Tonex from AT5 running under Cantabile. I'll go back and check - the Hiwatt live at Leeds patch has a realistic noise floor. 

Nope it is 20 total downloads which will of course make you want more and the paid version.

Love this product (especially with the pedal) but it also encourages addon purchases as that is where I've found the most useful stuff, outside of my own captures of things no one else has access to.  But the capture process on advanced isn't for the faint of heart.  Unless you have an Nvidia graphics card you are looking at an entire work day for a single capture 

1 hour ago, bluzdog said:

With all of the quality capture vendors out there I doubt I'll ever spend $49 on a capture set and let alone $99.

This is a bit unique.   There are two amps that justify this kind of outlay.

1)  Trainwreck

2)  Dumble - with a caveat - the good ones

If you factor in the rarity and difficulty in obtaining access to one (or more) plus the time to do advanced captures - $49 while a bit annoying isn't totally insane.  

The Trainwreck Amp I helped profile, no question I would have paid that for it - but then again it also makes an ODS look like a common amp.  

Outside of this Dumble set, I'm expecting they will do a Joe Bonamassa set - after that they are going to have some difficulty getting something with the same interest / rarity outside of doing artist collaborations where say Slash brings in the "I recorded AFD with this" which obviously would open the wallet of quite a few people.  

If they go the Trainwreck route they are going to have a difficult time getting the most desirable model, and I'm sure they would have to settle for an Express or maybe a Liverpool.

28 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Another ToneX nube here...

Do I have to copy the preset name and paste it into ToneX to locate & download it?

That is how I've done it.   I've also seen where someone marks it as a liked/favorite then goes into the App to find them.  Haven't tried that yet myself.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I would be interested in a small combo signature set. Like 10" 8" and 6" amps.

I'm also a big small amp fan, but I'm not sure what would constitute  the need for the pricey "signature" line there.  That can be done with any partner collection pack (or 3rd party).  The signature line seems like a price justification based on something a bit more unique.  

Billy Gibbon's small amp collection, as an example.  

A collab with Ultra Sound Amps would have been amazing, but they also sold off of virtually all of the really special stuff they had.

12 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

The signature line seems like a price justification based on something a bit more unique. 

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking along the lines of rare one offs. But yeah, there are also a lot available, so it would need to be pretty special.

Just now, RSMcGuitar said:

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking along the lines of rare one offs. But yeah, there are also a lot available, so it would need to be pretty special.

I can't really think of any rare one offs, outside of getting something like Clapton's "Dominos" Champ, etc which by nature then become a signature.   

Lots of the grail era mini amps only cost a couple grand.

• Like 1

If Mike Campbell did a collection I would be interested.

I just watched "The Dumble Amp: A Short History" by Five Watt World on YouTube. I gathered from watching it that Dumble was obsessed with matching the character of the amp to the playing style of the guitarists he worked with. I'm curious about how much the Tonex ODS captures achieve that.  

My favorite amp/cab emulations are ones that react as much as possible like their physical counterparts. I find myself using Nembrini  BG Extasy (Bogner) and DC30 (Vox) often.