So Much Love

Barry Seymour

Love the horns Barry,
These are thoughts as the track is playing:
shorten the intro (its 5:12 there's some fat)
lose the "droning" horn in the right can in the second verse; its not supporting the vocal, its just distracting)
With a little "judicious" editing we could get the "single" down to 3:15 ish?, I think...

t

I'll hold the like here and at SC for the final mix, as always great songwriting.

• Like 1

Terrific song, Barry!  I do agree with John's evaluation about shortening the song, and the one thing that stood out to me was the high trumpet.  I wonder if it might be more impactful if you did it an octave lower.  It cuts through, but is weak in its delivery in spite of being loud.  I say this as an ex trumpet player in a soul band (high school).  Otherwise  this is one to be proud of.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

John's evaluation

John? John who? 😄
I always hold back a bit because some are prone to "running" with every "suggestion" they get; and end up chasing their tail all over hell's half acre.
But, Barry is a "mature" songwriter, and he'll ignore me anyway; and that's fine.
I'm a "three minute rocker". (get in and get out...)

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

Just now, DeeringAmps said:

John? John who? 😄
I always hold back a bit because some are prone to "running" with every "suggestion" they get; and end up chasing their tail all over hell's half acre.
But, Barry is a "mature" songwriter, and he'll ignore me anyway; and that's fine.
I'm a "three minute rocker". (get it in and get out...)

t

Sorry, Tom, my bad🤪

• Like 2

One of the nice things about not having a record contract is I can make my songs as long as I want. 😉  Sorry guys, not shortening this one. Been down that road.

Someone above asked what horns I used. Two guys! A trumpet player and a sax player.

As for the screaming trumpet, that was sort of a Sunstone hallmark from back in the day.

Getting ready to pull the trigger,  after all.

• Like 1

Beautiful, Intro is sublime. Just my brain, at about 27sec when it drops in, my mind is telling me something but i don't know what, maybe just acoustic with no bass for split second or a pause to a slide down on bass with acoustic comes in, silly i know might be just me. There a couple similar places like this where there could be the split second pause for a big hit for greater emphasise, don't get me wrong love the production, it tick a long nicely and you probably tried it, but sometimes these gaps work or don't.  I am only nit picking because you asked haha great work

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...