Update: UVI - Falcon 3.0 - has landed

Frank

17 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Kind of a ridiculous question. 
If you know anything about Kontakt you know there are hundreds if not thousands of 3rd party libraries both $$ and free available for it.
There are not thousands of available 3rd party libraries currently available for Falcon.

Just trying to figure out why I would want to have Falcon when I have Kontakt. The large amount of third-party libraries is one of the main things that I find attractive about Kontakt. If Falcon is just the same as Kontakt but with way less libraries, then certainly it must have something else going for it to make up for the lack of libraries. Or isn't it comparable to Kontakt at all, in the end?

38 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

Just trying to figure out why I would want to have Falcon when I have Kontakt. The large amount of third-party libraries is one of the main things that I find attractive about Kontakt. If Falcon is just the same as Kontakt but with way less libraries, then certainly it must have something else going for it to make up for the lack of libraries. Or isn't it comparable to Kontakt at all, in the end?

Quoting EvilDragon on KVR 
"UVI stuff is generally very high quality, which is a pro, but it often comes at a cost of CPU usage, which is a con. Falcon is extremely flexible and while it does sampling, creative sound design is its main selling point, and as such it's a different beast compared to Kontakt. Kontakt is much much more optimized regarding pure sample playback and disk streaming, however in Falcon you can do so much more with additional oscillator types, very flexible modulation, stellar effects... it's not a Kontakt replacement. It's an adjunct."

Note: Kontaky is multithreaded but Falcon is not - a factor that can impact usability.

If I could only have one it would be Kontakt, but having both is nice.
If you're a preset player kind of a person then definitely take the time to audition UVI's library demos for Falcon before buying.  If the libraries aren't your cup of tea then you'd be wasting your money on a Falcon purchase. 

If you're into sound design Falcon offers a deep rabbit hole for you to lose yourself in.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, antler said:

How do you mean, Jim? Is it that it's not much faster, or does it lack new features?

It's almost exactly the same CPU as the 13900ks.  

Nearly identical performance/features.

Specs on the 14900k:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/236773/intel-core-i9-processor-14900k-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz/specifications.html

Specs on the 13900ks:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232167/intel-core-i913900ks-processor-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz/specifications.html

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing performer...

But it's really a slightly refreshed 13900ks.

No major architecture change.  No major change in TDP.

If you're not running a 13th Gen CPU, it makes sense.

If you have a 13900k, it's not worth the cost/effort to upgrade (200MHz difference).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

If you have the time try to see some of the venus theory videos about Falcon, or on UVI page  that are also hosted by him. Some of them are pretty good and can help you to see if it fits you.

In fact they are significantly different, i would say that Kontakt is more of a music composer instrument and Falcon more suitable for a sound designer.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 12:28 AM, TheSteven said:

and give up Windows 8?
Surely sir you jest!

It s funny because i wanted to do it now , but i m scared , tooooo much stuff going on and too much to not mess up ...

hardware being kinda old now , cpu is 4790s , it s imho one of the best cpu for my hw streacom  passive thing ...

i wanted to change motherboard cpu ect , but all new motherboard have 5is fancy heat sinks on side that blokck my ability to use the heat sink of the streacom that goes laterall from cpu straight to right side of the case ... add to this slow internet connection ...and zillion of machine based authoristaion that i don t know how to handle ( vertigo not giving the way to de authorise and re authorise on your own , disco dsp ,ect ..) 

it s when you realise ilok is great ! 

21 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

On an instrument this deep, lack of multi-threading is a significant limitation.

^^^^ This ^^^^

In my use of the UVI Workstation and Falcon, especially with some of the pianos things can bog down fairly quickly with lots of activity. I have been able to come up with a crude workaround by placing several instances of the UVI Engine inside of UNIFY and setting keyranges to help spread the load so to speak. While not elegant, it works to some extent.

Multithreading would tap into the potential of what this engine has to offer, but at this point it is like a Triple Crown winning race horse that has been hamstrung. Still holding out hope.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Whats up with the 2 for 1 promo for expansions, because it seems like it’s buy 3 get 1. Surely this must be a bug? Anyone else?

AudioDeluxe has the 2 for 1 promo going on if you can't wait for the issue to clear:

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/category/brands/uvi?f[0]=bm_field_on_sale_now%3Atrue

However, I was told UVI gives you vouchers at some point based on your purchases so do take a note of that.

• Like 1