HorNet four best sellers 85% off

ralfrobert

• ralfrobert changed the title to HorNet four best sellers 85% off

I was feeling pretty good about Hornet until I used SongKey yesterday and it caused a bunch of weird things to happen on a track until I removed it. But we pay so little for his plugins,  it's not like we can realistically expect the dev will be able to afford the resources to do better testing and QC/QA. I suspect this developer is capable of great things if he had the resources and perhaps wasn't also running the business. As it is, I think you have to be pragmatic about the reliability of his bargain basement deal plugins. 

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I was feeling pretty good about Hornet until I used SongKey yesterday and it caused a bunch of weird things to happen on a track until I removed it. But we pay so little for his plugins,  it's not like we can realistically expect the dev will be able to afford the resources to do better testing and QC/QA. I suspect this developer is capable of great things if he had the resources and perhaps wasn't also running the business. As it is, I think you have to be pragmatic about the reliability of his bargain basement deal plugins. 

SongKey is a bit of an anomaly really and not as reflective of the majority of his plugins. I haven't bought it for that reason.  It could be a lot more complicated to develop and it hasn't been as well received.

I think it's great he's branching out and expanding, but this plugin isn't his wheelhouse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

SongKey is a bit of an anomaly really and not as reflective of the majority of his plugins. I haven't bought it for that reason.  It could be a lot more complicated to develop and it hasn't been as well received.

I think it's great he's branching out and expanding, but this plugin isn't his wheelhouse.

On a related note, am I alone in needing a plugin to figure out what I played in original songs where I forgot to write down chord progressions? I'll play something I wrote 30 years ago, record it and later go back and completely forget the progression and parts and wonder, what the heck is that chord? And, of course,  I can look at the midi notes but it's so much easier to look at a big display that tells me what chords I played the week before when I played some old song of mine from memory. 

9 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

On a related note, am I alone in needing a plugin to figure out what I played in original songs where I forgot to write down chord progressions? I'll play something I wrote 30 years ago, record it and later go back and completely forget the progression and parts and wonder, what the heck is that chord? And, of course,  I can look at the midi notes but it's so much easier to look at a big display that tells me what chords I played the week before when I played some old song of mine from memory. 

Have you tried Scaler 2?

2 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Have you tried Scaler 2?

I did demo Scaler a long time ago -- or at least I think it was Scaler. But it's overkill for my purposes. I'm just looking for something that will tell me what the chord progression is for a song I recorded a week ago and completely forgot to write down the progression for. Of course, I could read the MIDI notes -- but that's a hassle to do or just work it out by ear, which I sometimes do - but otherwise, I have a freebie that shows the chords and notes that were played on a MIDI track, it's just really small and not great to look at. I thought SongKey might do better. Historically, I've sometimes duplicated a piano track and put ezKeys on it, as it tells you what chords are being played with a pretty nice display, IMO. 

I tend to just want to pop open a DAW, find a plugin, often a piano in KONTAKT to start and just play either something I wrote ages ago, new ideas or a cover. I'm not sure I would want to rely on an app for ideas unless it was really fun to use and I've read from people who love it that they enjoy what it does, but it's not super intuitive. 

27 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm just looking for something that will tell me what the chord progression is for a song I recorded a week ago and completely forgot to write down the progression for.

You could try Studio One (I know; it's a DAW rather than a plugin), or Pianoteq. It probably depends on what the notes are doing though - if they're dancing around, it might be difficult for them to recognise the overall chords.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I did demo Scaler a long time ago -- or at least I think it was Scaler. But it's overkill for my purposes. I'm just looking for something that will tell me what the chord progression is for a song I recorded a week ago and completely forgot to write down the progression for. Of course, I could read the MIDI notes -- but that's a hassle to do or just work it out by ear, which I sometimes do - but otherwise, I have a freebie that shows the chords and notes that were played on a MIDI track, it's just really small and not great to look at. I thought SongKey might do better. Historically, I've sometimes duplicated a piano track and put ezKeys on it, as it tells you what chords are being played with a pretty nice display, IMO. 

I tend to just want to pop open a DAW, find a plugin, often a piano in KONTAKT to start and just play either something I wrote ages ago, new ideas or a cover. I'm not sure I would want to rely on an app for ideas unless it was really fun to use and I've read from people who love it that they enjoy what it does, but it's not super intuitive. 

True, Scaler is a little complex and maybe too much if you just want to know what chord the MIDI is playing. But SongKey will only work on audio, whereas Scaler can detect the chords from audio and MIDI and will write each chord down into a chord progression if you use detect mode. In my experience, both, SongKey and Scaler fail to correctly detect a chord from audio fairly often.

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm just looking for something that will tell me what the chord progression is for a song I recorded a week ago and completely forgot to write down the progression for.

Melodyne by Celemony

https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

Cool Feature of using Melodyne with Cakewalk is the ability to turn any audio file into a tempo map for Cakewalk:

https://youtu.be/M_SKmr_07Is?si=Y51gOq8ElQJEFSv3

Important reading / help (uses of Cakewalk & Melodyne): https://gaga.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Region_FX.04.html

Anyhow, I've got the Studio version, so I have to look at what the different versions do... for what you need, Essential would work to show you the chord names.  In order to see all your notes (like the different notes a guitar or piano plays), you'll need Melodyne Editor version.  Check out the version editions in the above link.

"Melodyne essential is the easy-access point of entry to Melodyne’s unique editing environment – with the option of upgrading to a larger edition at any time, for only the difference in the price of the two editions." - https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

For just seeing the Chords on the top bar, I think all you need is Essential, but since I don't have that version, I can't say for sure.  I've got the Sudio version myself, and never regretted it.  Melodyne is a must have tool.

-------------

If you want... you could send me your audio, and I'll send you back MIDI version of it (both the chords and the notes).  That'll help you out, right?

We could share files using Discord or if you have any other idea?

Edited by El Diablo

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Melodyne by Celemony

https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

Cool Feature of using Melodyne with Cakewalk is the ability to turn any audio file into a tempo map for Cakewalk:

https://youtu.be/M_SKmr_07Is?si=Y51gOq8ElQJEFSv3

Important reading / help (uses of Cakewalk & Melodyne): https://gaga.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Region_FX.04.html

Anyhow, I've got the Studio version, so I have to look at what the different versions do... for what you need, Essential would work to show you the chord names.  In order to see all your notes (like the different notes a guitar or piano plays), you'll need Melodyne Editor version.  Check out the version editions in the above link.

"Melodyne essential is the easy-access point of entry to Melodyne’s unique editing environment – with the option of upgrading to a larger edition at any time, for only the difference in the price of the two editions." - https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

For just seeing the Chords on the top bar, I think all you need is Essential, but since I don't have that version, I can't say for sure.  I've got the Sudio version myself, and never regretted it.  Melodyne is a must have tool.

-------------

If you want... you could send me your audio, and I'll send you back MIDI version of it (both the chords and the notes).  That'll help you out, right?

We could share files using Discord or if you have any other idea?

Thanks for the ideas. That was super thoughtful of you to offer that and I really appreciate the offer. Like I said earlier, I do have a plugin that analyzes the midi I just slap on like an effect or I duplicate the piano track and replace the piano with my ezKeys piano which has a really nice display that shows chords.  I was just hoping for something with a bigger display than the freebie tool I have. Songkey does claim to analyze MIDI, but when I used it, it caused this strange buzz and problems with Cakewalk. Considering that I couldn't have paid more than 3 bucks for it, I don't even want to bother the developer. 

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Thanks for the ideas. That was super thoughtful of you to offer that and I really appreciate the offer. Like I said earlier, I do have a plugin that analyzes the midi I just slap on like an effect or I duplicate the piano track and replace the piano with my ezKeys piano which has a really nice display that shows chords.  I was just hoping for something with a bigger display than the freebie tool I have. Songkey does claim to analyze MIDI, but when I used it, it caused this strange buzz and problems with Cakewalk. Considering that I couldn't have paid more than 3 bucks for it, I don't even want to bother the developer. 

I remember using it with Reaper with no issues.  Haven't tried it in Cakewalk yet.

Just a basic business fact. When you continuously engage in very deep discounting of your product,  the heavily discounted price becomes thw one consumers will value your product at. That's why I've always advised indie developers never to engage in stuff like 70% or more discounts. Who in this group is ever going to pay full price for one of this developer's plugins again? Almost no one. And he trained everyone to be that way, without realizing he was doing it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat