Kensington Avenue Master

Paul Bush

Hi Chaps , well I took on all the good wishes and good tips and didnt mess with this song in mixdown i did add a few  bits `n´pieces , and re sung some backing vocals in middle before the solo , Oh and re recorded a couple of barres of the hammond , didnt have to tighten up the drums on this one so I`m rather pleased......cheers P

https://www.bandlab.com/user7005896328090268/kensington-avenue-master-01d72178?revId=f2f7a411-0569-ee11-9937-000d3a41ec2a

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Paul , The entire mix sounds much tighter now and the instrument levels sound Good to me. I believe the dynamics sound way better also. That normally doesn't happen for me at the mastering stage , with things getting boosted and compressed.  I think you did a superb job finishing this one up and it sounds mainstream.

Enjoyed it again ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

Thanks Mark and Tim,

Yeah Ive got admit that on this one I took my time right from the beginning , I took all the reverb- room effects  and played along with a dry drum so as to hear the beats`` in yer face and clearer´´ made recording  all the instruments easyer , took the advice given and didnt over think the mix down thanks for commenting Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WQW!

I rate this a Power Pop Triple Banger: a great lyric married to a great tune married to a great, riffin' arrangement/ performance. that has a cool, driving, &  sustained momentum.

My only crit would be to boost the drums a bit during the instrumental.

A very strong track, in any case.

Cheers,

Bert

• Like 1

Great instruments, vocals, lyrics, visuals, and production!  Great story also, but a sad and not too uncommon story.  There is always someone willing to exploit another person.  For me it is similar to in message (not style) to the Jim Carroll song Friends of Mine Who Died.

Good work Paul!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freddy j said:

Great instruments, vocals, lyrics, visuals, and production!  Great story also, but a sad and not too uncommon story.  There is always someone willing to exploit another person.  For me it is similar to in message (not style) to the Jim Carroll song Friends of Mine Who Died.

Good work Paul!!

Thanks Freddy , this one has certanly hit a nerve , I do  sometimes try to write songs with some substance  , there is so much inequality and suffering in our world , we can become so desensitized  to it all thanks for commenting ..cheers paul

I'm going to be honest here as I feel it's more useful.

There are some things that work really well in this mix and others that could do with some attention.

The intro drums don't gel with the intro chords. I would either drop the intro chords (start at 0:19) or redo the drums so they follow the guitar more. Having a live drummer responding to your playing would be useful here.

Around 0:58 there's a transitional riff which reminds me off Elliot Smith 2:45am - check out the drums on that track, it might give you some inspiration. They are minimal and effective.

The change at 1:00 goes into a really nice part of the song, but it feels like the first chord is off (or the bass). Can you fix this in the mix?

I really like your lead singing in this - very solid.

Some of the backing 'oohs' sound a little off. I would take the 'oohs' at 1:20 and paste them over the 'ohhs' at 1:23 (or autotune) as there's an off note that stands out.

I hope you don't mind this review. I really liked the track overall,  especially how it shifts around.

• Like 1