Instrument/Gear Regerts

hockeyjx

My two biggest regerts:

I had an original Ibanez Iceman from the 70's that I took a screwdriver and/or chisel to, so I could get it painted with a Frankenstein head ....the artist did an AMAZING job, but it was on the wood that had chunks out of it. I ended up trading it for a pair of suede boots. Not my finest moment.

Also, in the early 90's, had a chance to buy an Orange Chet Atkins Tennesseean for $500. I loved it, but just didn't fit with my look at the time.

What's yours?

image.png

Back in the day, I never treated any guitar like I was going to keep it forever.  In the early 90's I'd drill holes in every guitar I had so I could attach Roland GK-2A pickups for the Roland GR-1 synth.

I'm a little more conservative with those decisions these days.

EDIT:   I was wrong.  Now I have a bunch of guitars that I'm keep forever that have holes drilled in them...lol.  Meh...you live and you learn.

Edited by HOOK
  • Haha 2

When the Selmer Mark VII came out, I traded my Mark VI for it.

In the music store, and moderate volume, the VII was nice. On stage, I found I couldn't overblow it to get that distortion. I suppose Selmer thought that was a good thing for serious music, but I was playing rock and blues.

I went back next week to buy my old VI back, but it was sold already.

Decades later, the Mark VI is the most collectable of all saxophones, and sell for prices that are much more than they are worth as player's saxophones.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

During the mid 70s I lent a Minimoog and Sample/Hold to a "friend" who claimed that the warehouse the band had everything stored in was broken into and all the gear was "stolen."  The "good news" was that the organizer of the band had insurance on the contents, But I had to sign a bill of sale to the band leader to the get the money. 

After I had move some 2,500 miles away (to Seattle), I learned more details and pieced them together: The alleged break-in was actually a theft by the band leader who had sold the Moog gear to a Big, Famous Guitar Store in Rochester, NY.  But rather than hold onto it until I could get someone over to the store to identify it and make arrangements (negotiate) to get it back [I don't remember how much the band leader got for it], the Big Famous Guitar Store allegedly gave it back to the Band Leader and got their money back.

At today's prices my "investment" would have increased at least ten-fold.

I learned some very valuable lessons: Don't trust "friends; don't trust guitarists; don't trust guitar stores; don't trust musicians; in fact: don't trust anyone. And never lend anything of any value to anyone.  Also, never empty your savings account for gear that you just "have to" have.

No regerts; just some latent bitterness that is evidently still tucked away in my memory.  It will probably still be there after I no longer remember who my kids are when I see them, and when I no longer remember even my own name.

Edited by User 905133
geographical correction; fixed typos
  • Sad 3

My very first top notch guitar I bought from We Buy Guitars in NYC . A 1960 Gibson ES 335 in Cherry Red w PAf pickups and custom birds inlay 'd on the finger board ...

The Guitar had belonged to Henry Gross and Henry was standing right there talking with a We Buy owner when I checked it out his former guitar  ...they both even laughed ....

After I played it I told them I needed to walk away and think about it ...

An hour later I came back and bought it 😃 It cost me $599.00..... this was in the  70's ....

Nowadays an all original  Gibson 1960 ES 335 dot marker w PAF's fetches .... Low price 40 plus grand ,.... Mid price 50 grand and they go up as high  up as 100 grand ...

It is not even about the money for me as I have owned dozens of guitars that wound up being worth that much and then some once the vintage guitar prices exploded

This was all done at a time when you could buy a brand new Les Paul Custom for a Grand ....or just a little north of that  ....

I made a stupid move and traded it for a one of a kind Vulcan Guitar that was built for Peter Frampton ....The Luther couldn't comp him since just in materials alone he was into a few thousand  so  I took a chance and traded my ES for it ....

That's the one that got away folks ...It has been over 40 years. I have tried to forgive myself for that . Some days I can ...some days I cant ....waaahhhh ....

If anyone here is listening !  I will gladly pay you the money to get my old guitar back on Tuesday  if I decide to play the lotto and win .

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 9/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, User 905133 said:

Don't trust "friends; don't trust guitarists; don't trust guitar stores; don't trust musicians; in fact: don't trust anyone. And never lend anything of any value to anyone

Just another example of:

This business of music would be great if it weren't for Greedy Club Owners, Sleazy Agents, and Other Musicians (I'm in the 3rd group).

But I got lucky. Mrs. Notes and I are self-sufficient, and well mated, that takes care of the other musicians. We mostly book ourselves, so the sleazy agents are out of the picture, but we still have to deal with the club owners.

Actually, we have done well with owners, because we work for the house, it's the managers we sometimes have a problem with. Micromanaging idiots who want to hear what they want to hear, not what their customers want, and then blame the band if the customers don't like it.

Oh well, back on topic.

I have no other gear regrets, other than the one I posted earlier.

Notes ♫