VirtualMIDISynth problems.

ea7hj

Hi

I have installed the Coolsoft Virtualmidisynth software, and it does not appear in Cakewalk by BandLab on Preferences->MIDI-> Devices to select it as a midi player.

The Virtualmidisynth works well for me in other software that I have installed, but here in CbB I do not find the form. Other times I have had it working perfectly, but I don't know what happened. 

Any help in this regard? . Thanks in advance.

Antonio

Edited by ea7hj

1 hour ago, ea7hj said:

Hi

I have installed the Coolsoft Virtualmidisynth software, and it does not appear in preferences-> midi-> devices to select it as a midi player.

The Virtualmidisynth works well for me in other software that I have installed, but here in CbB I do not find the form. Other times I have had it working perfectly, but I don't know what happened. 

Any help in this regard? . Thanks in advance.

Antonio

This?

Product description says:

"VirtualMIDISynth is a software MIDI synthesizer implemented as a Windows multimedia user driver, accessible as a standard MIDI Out device."

This sounds like it's emulating an onboard GS/GM Wavetable synth chip. The 23.09 EA release explicitly eliminated support for this because it's not supported (or is losing support...?) in Windows 11.

I'm on the latest version of Win11 Pro. Both the MS GS MIDI Synth and all four channels of Virtual MIDISynth  show up in Gig Performer, Reaper and Band in a Box. Studio One Pro doesn't seem to have a MIDI player option, so neither show up there.

But, VirtualMIDISynth runs great under Win11.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

Mine was working fine.  Then I installed 2023.09 (Build 062, 64 bit) and I'm having the same problem.

And, when I open a plain MIDI file, Cakewalk, TTS-1 is inserted as a track.   WTF?

I'm glad I have the previous version in case I have to go back.

Edited by RobertWS

12 hours ago, John Maar said:

I'm on the latest version of Win11 Pro. Both the MS GS MIDI Synth and all four channels of Virtual MIDISynth  show up in Gig Performer, Reaper and Band in a Box. Studio One Pro doesn't seem to have a MIDI player option, so neither show up there.

But, VirtualMIDISynth runs great under Win11./?

Interesting. I was just going by this post:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm please to find this thread as since installing 2023.09 (Build 062, 64 bit) I too no longer have access to my Coolsoft VirtualMIDIsynth which I've been using without issue for years. Has anyone found a workaround please?

I now see that this upgrade doesn't come with  a rollback option. Doh!

• Like 1

MIDI Yoke as an intermediary?  Or, with all due respect, move into the 2020's and use a VSTi/DXi (TTS-1) or equivalent: there is no good reason I can think of to use a virtual hardware device that exposes itself as a Windows driver.

Edited by Xoo
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:19 AM, msmcleod said:

I still use that (using CbB's JBridge wrapper support) and it works fine in 2023.09.

CMIIW, but it seems Yamaha uses the same samples in most of their XG gear but alter them slightly for each model so they sound slightly different.

When layering the S-YXG50 with another Yamaha like the PSR540 using the same voice, it brings out a new dimension to the sound.