Not A Deal - Looking to hire a Bandlab Cakewalk expert for an hour

Doug Steinschneider

I was surprised to discover (maybe I've been in the wrong sub-forums) that the Cakewalk forums for advice and support on the software itself are pretty sleepy and none of my questions have been answered. I've been spinning my wheels on a bunch of things that are simple to do in Reaper and Mixbus and decided I should engage a Cakewalk expert in a screen sharing session. Can anyone recommend someone?

I chose Cakewalk for a friend's project studio based on it being low/no cost and mostly more user friendly than Reaper and Mixbus. 

Edited by Doug Steinschneider

7 hours ago, Grem said:

What ya trying to do? We may not be experts... but we can figure stuff out. Been around the block a few times.

We imported 16 track Fostex E-16 recordings (16 .wav tracks of 30 minutes)  into a Cakewalk project. When we cut a 3-4 minute songs into new projects it copies the original 30 minute  .wav file for the tracks to the new project. Right now I'm just about to see if Audacity can split the tracks up into individual .wavs of 3-4 minutes. 

We played with different ripple settings and delete hole but it hasn't helped.

17 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

When we cut a 3-4 minute songs into new projects it copies the original 30 minute  .wav file for the tracks to the new project.

I suggest you make your cuts, export the resultant stems, create a new project (with a new name) and import the stems there. Repeat as needed for each of the "new" songs. I'm surprised this didn't get answered in the main Cakewalk forum. Good luck!

2 hours ago, scook said:

I don't recall the original thread

apply trimming in the clips menu and

the check boxes "Copy all audio with project" and "Create one file per clip" in the Save As dialog may be of use.

Bingo!! I was gonna tell him to use "Apply Trimming"

CW Saves a lot of edit info so in case you want to revert back an edit you can. Non-Destructive Editing it's called. Once the project is closed though, you can no longer go back.

Simplest way to do this is to split the clips where you want use apply trimming, then copy and paste the trks you want to a new project. Once they are there in the new project, save that new project, close it, and repeat the process until you get all the songs you need.

If it were me I would save the whole project as a backup in case you change your mind or mess something up. Something like "Project Name_Original Version"

18 hours ago, Larry Jones said:
20 hours ago, Grem said:

Bingo!! I was gonna tell him to use "Apply Trimming"

I've never had this particular use case, but I probably will some day, so... If I "apply trimming" the DAW will permanently delete the unwanted portions of the clips?

20 hours ago, Grem said:

If it were me I would save the whole project as a backup in case you change your mind or mess something up. Something like "Project Name_Original Version"

Yes, while the documentation seems clear, I learn best through experimentation; "Apply Trimming" screams "TRY ME on a test project"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...