Any Fractal AX8 users in here?

craigb

My roommate just bought one today.  It's the floorboard version, but it sounds great!  I can already see that it does about 40 times what he needs (or more! 😆).  He's been using a Digitech RP500 through a Roland Cube.  He's got my old Alesis MK-Ultras now and he sounds much better now (lol)!

The Digitech will be on MyList (er, I mean Craigslist 😁) soon.

On the flip side, if anyone around the Portland Metro Area (or Vancouver, etc.) is looking for a nice 5 Watt Blackstar tube head with two cabs, let me know! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Fractal Axe FX III Turbo that I recently upgraded to from a Axe FX II.

All of Fractal's units are amazing pieces of gear. I've completely organized my studio around the Fractal now and I no longer mic amps. 

And these are so much FUN! Just plug in in a guitar and start cycling through presets - you're bound to find something interesting and inspiring to play with. 

As for tips -

- Pay attention to your gain-staging just as you would in real-life.

- I recommend a foot pedal or two so you can run Wah, volume, whammy, etc. You can literally assign the pedal to any parameter - so want to run the repeats of a delay from the pedal ala Andy Summers? Easypeasy.

- I use SPDIF to record into my Apollo 8x. I send clock out from the UAD to the Fractal on AES. This seems to make it all rock solid and I'm just not a fan of using USB audio from anything so I don't use it from the Fractal. I also sent one output of of dry signal from the Fractal to an input on the Apollo. That way I can always record a dry signal while also recording the stereo outs via SPDIF. 

- Download Axe Edit - the software for editing your Fractal. It's well done and extremely powerful.

- Enjoy the 100% recall-ability of the Fractal and ignore the whiners that tell you digital will never be as good as analog. :)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

A lot of the new pedal boards are pretty self-contained so they need nothing else. One bit of advice a guy mentioned (for a similar board) was that he basically forced himself to learn the functionality (going so far as to take only that pedal board to gigs without a backup). His approach was hard core, but the newer boards pretty much allow you to just carry a guitar and the board with you if there is a sound system available. You only learn all of the features by using it.

Edited by mettelus

12 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

these are so much FUN!

Had to let my FXII+ go. I could get lost in it for days! Do as SmallStone said “cycle thru the presets”. If you delve into the parameters it’s “a rabbit hole”; literally. 
Amazing piece of kit. 

t

The amp is common on Reverb, average price looks like $299. 
Didn’t search the cabs. 
There is a two channel w/reverb variant so do a little research…

Edited by DeeringAmps

I was curious so I looked up prices:

Fractal Axe FX III Turbo = $2500
3 EV-1 expression pedals = $420
FC-12 Foot Controller = $800
=========================
Total $3720, still that is a heck of lot easier than lugging around a 2 4x12 Marshall stack I imagine.

I'll stick with this (since I don't even really play guitar)
image.thumb.png.b54de92de316520b5fda99f2481065aa.png

And for Bass, I'll stick with this.
image.thumb.png.f45e55bc03d594483dee765d0287a0b8.png

I've since sold my two VOX AC30's and my HUGE bass stack.

Paired down to one 1x12 15w/1w guitar amp and an ACOUSTIC (RESEARCH) B50C combo for light in studio jamming. No more blast to the max.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

Not sure where you guys are finding those prices! 😮

Ken bought his AX8 for $650 and has the Blackstar up for $500!

Oh, and the presets were all deleted and replaced, so he'll have to get those back if he wants 'em.  The replacements are pretty dang good!

8 hours ago, craigb said:

Not sure where you guys are finding those prices! 😮

Ken bought his AX8 for $650 and has the Blackstar up for $500!

Oh, and the presets were all deleted and replaced, so he'll have to get those back if he wants 'em.  The replacements are pretty dang good!

is there no factory reset on in that bring back presets and settings

5 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

is there no factory reset on in that bring back presets and settings

True.  You have to download them from some website.  But, prior to that, you need to save the banks they use if you want to keep what replaced them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

True.  You have to download them from some website.  But, prior to that, you need to save the banks they use if you want to keep what replaced them!

They have a utility called Fractal Bot. You download the system banks and use Fractal Bot to send them to the Axe. It sounds more complicated than it is. I just went through this preparing my Axe FX II to be sold.

• Like 1