Melda MPhaserMB: Free With Purchase @ ADSR

MusicMan

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Not yet, good idea. Also haven’t tried the Melda yet but checked the reviews. Could be quite interesting. Also got the Eventide and that’s a real classic. Was thinking of the Moogerfooger MF-104 as it’s only $17 or so, but I guess that would be too much. 

Yeah, the Eventide one is a good one. So is the Softube one. Need to go back and check the U-he one…was years ago I used that last. If you use Reason then Ekssperimental Sounds Janus RE sounds really nice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

These guys are total bangers. Searched and searched the whole checkout and can't find where to apply a discount code. Anyone know? Thanks.

Only works when you have an IP address from the US. Otherwise you need to use VPN and set your location to the US. I have no idea why they do that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

Only works when you have an IP address from the US. Otherwise you need to use VPN and set your location to the US. I have no idea why they do that.

Thanks. My opinion of ADSR just gets worse as the days go by.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

See the positive side of it: They help you fight GAS. 😉

They really don't. They just cost me more money. I can get Audiority Electric Matter cheaper but for €1 more I can get the Melda Phaser free. I WANT to use my 10% voucher hahaha.

53 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

Right. Bought Electric Matter. Got the Melda thing. Now I don't need to think about it any more and that's worth the money in itself.

Now that I've been following your adventures (we're all a bunch of GAS junkies here),  I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Melda MPhaserMB as I've been contemplating buying something just to get the Melda plugin too. 

27 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Now that I've been following your adventures (we're all a bunch of GAS junkies here),  I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Melda MPhaserMB as I've been contemplating buying something just to get the Melda plugin too. 

If you're at that stage you know yourself that you're going to get it anyway :). It's Melda. It's a phaser. It's pretty deep. Just get it. Question you need to ask yourself is do you buy the cheapest crap they've got and chuck it in the bin or do you spend €15 more to get something you might use? :)

• Like 2

The real (additional) question with anything Melda is whether you're likely to commit (some day) to buying one or more of the big bundles, and which bundle(s) the current plug counts toward. In this case, MPhaserMB counts toward MComplete (of course), MTotalFX (obvs) and MCreativeFX. 

No matter how little you buy/obtain a plug for, 35% of the regular price is credited against the cost of the relevant bundles. (Melda gives you 70% credit for the purchase price, and assumes plugins bought via 3rd party were 50% off, so 35%.)

For MPhaserMB at $43 regular, that's ~$15 credit, minus whatever was paid for to get the freebie. Which only matters if you're eyeing one or more bundles in the long run, but in that case, it can matter quite a bit, eventually.

A nice bonus is that Melda credits are applied regardless of any sale going on. For example, registering MPhaserMB should take ~$15 off the cost of the MCreativeFX bundle, which is $711 regular price. When Melda has a BF half-off sale and the bundle is $356, you still get the $15 discount, not half of that or some sale-prorated amount.

Lump a few cheapies together over the course of a year or two and wait for a sale on bundles, and it adds up dramatically. It's quite possible to go from zero to MComplete for less than a quarter of the bundle price, a little at a time, if Melda scratches your itch and you're patiently strategic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Zolton said:

The real (additional) question with anything Melda is whether you're likely to commit (some day) to buying one or more of the big bundles, and which bundle(s) the current plug counts toward. In this case, MPhaserMB counts toward MComplete (of course), MTotalFX (obvs) and MCreativeFX. 

No matter how little you buy/obtain a plug for, 35% of the regular price is credited against the cost of the relevant bundles. (Melda gives you 70% credit for the purchase price, and assumes plugins bought via 3rd party were 50% off, so 35%.)

For MPhaserMB at $43 regular, that's ~$15 credit, minus whatever was paid for to get the freebie. Which only matters if you're eyeing one or more bundles in the long run, but in that case, it can matter quite a bit, eventually.

A nice bonus is that Melda credits are applied regardless of any sale going on. For example, registering MPhaserMB should take ~$15 off the cost of the MCreativeFX bundle, which is $711 regular price. When Melda has a BF half-off sale and the bundle is $356, you still get the $15 discount, not half of that or some sale-prorated amount.

Lump a few cheapies together over the course of a year or two and wait for a sale on bundles, and it adds up dramatically. It's quite possible to go from zero to MComplete for less than a quarter of the bundle price, a little at a time, if Melda scratches your itch and you're patiently strategic.

Thanks for that info. Melda is a company I definitely want to support. Of all the plugin companies out there, they’ve probably got one of, if not, the best policies on upgrades and updates(free forever).  I seriously can’t think of a better company when it comes to those things, actually.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion.  I rarely use phasers, but the thread inspired me to spend some time exploring.  In case it helps inspire others, here's what I did.

Background: For about a year (+/-) I have used Kushview Element as a host to teach myself (i.e., test and explore) Melda Plugins every so.  One session started with Melda Sound Factory and MPowerSynth but now has Pigments and Analog Lab as sound sources to which I gradually added Melda FX plugins, mostly in a long serial chain. Its super simple to explore one at a time.  

Over the past few months I have been working on creating texturtal MSF patches based on some wavetables.  Slow morphed changes shaped with a note-triggered envelope plus (so far) ModWheel --> table position for real time manual textural shifting.

So, today (thanks to the conversation), I added MPhaser and MPhaserMB to my current Kushview Session, explored the factory presets and downloaded/community presets in both and found an MB preset that really complements several of the slow, evolving MSF wavetable-based presets I have been gradually developing.  Its one that has 3 bands, has a nice low band sound and some nice mild, but noticeable phaser width LFO modulation in the middle range. 

I can easily see adding the MB Phaser into some MSF Presets directly at some point, but exploring the MPhaser/MB plugins like this (one at a time) helps focus my attention and greatly facilitates a developing sound design process.  

I apologize for my enthusiasm, but I have wanted to build in some additional layers to these sounds since I last worked on them and thanks to the discussion of Melda's Phasers, I have taken a major leap forward by discovering how I can make use of a 3-band phaser to in effect add more controllable dimensions in a way that pleases my ear and fits one of my performance styles.

These plug-ins might not meet everyone's needs, but I now have a better appreciation of phasers and will be using them.  🙂  

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1