Melda MDynamics 84% off

ralfrobert

Some Melda products seem so very specialized, or minor variations of other products. I have MTransient, MDynamicEQ, MAutoDynamicEQ, MLimiterX, MSpectralDynamicsLE, and MTurboCompLE, each of which seems to have some overlap with MDynamics. What I don't have is an understanding of when I should use one versus another, or when I've got all my ground covered.

Why would I use MDynamics vs one of the above? Or is it mostly covered by one of the other Melda plugins that I already have?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Hmmmm. I have seen some plug-in comparison videos done by Chandler Himself. Maybe he has one that touches on several of these.  This one touches on MEqualizer, MEqualizerLP,  MAutoequalizer, MDynamicEQ, MAutodynamicEQ, MFreeformanalogEQ, MFreeformEQ, and MTurboEQ.  Maybe he has other comparison videos that mention the others?

Edited by User 905133
added a link to one comparison video
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Neudorf said:

Some Melda products seem so very specialized, or minor variations of other products. I have MTransient, MDynamicEQ, MAutoDynamicEQ, MLimiterX, MSpectralDynamicsLE, and MTurboCompLE, each of which seems to have some overlap with MDynamics. What I don't have is an understanding of when I should use one versus another, or when I've got all my ground covered.

Why would I use MDynamics vs one of the above? Or is it mostly covered by one of the other Melda plugins that I already have?

I agree that a lot of the line feels like overlap or one with features another doesn't.

For basic vintage compression tasks you TurboLE comp covers that part of mdynamics

SpectralLE coversbasic ducking, dressing and gate of mdynamics.

I think the thing mdynamics would give you is access to an edit page to do deeper edits and crazier stuff.  

I would say mostly covered by what you have unless you like the edit screen control.  

The value here for many is the buy cheap to get the credit towards a bundle it is included in later.  Guessing you have the essential bundle based on those you listed.

• Like 1

OK, watched through ralfrobert's link.  Free MCompressor has the modulations and custom compression curve. MDynamics / MDynamicsMB has "devices" which seem mostly to be presets for the free version--it looks to me like a "gate" is just a different custom compression curve. With the exception that I presume you can change more of the parameters affecting the curve dynamically, so if you want to change a compression curve on the fly, you CAN with MDynamics / MDynamicsMB (as opposed to drawing new, static curves in MCompressor). It also has a better "EQ" on the sidechain, for more precise targeting of when to duck.

MModernCompressor has dynamic range detection, and allows you to target an output dynamic range.

MTurboCompressor(le) models hardware, and includes input and output saturation, to give a little analog warmth, but also seems designed for making chains.

MSpectralDynamics(le) seems to target things more precisely(??), working on many bands at once (???).

Meldaproduction has a lot of products and it can be tough to sort out which ones cover what functions. The first individual processor of theirs that I bought was MModernCompressor, and if I had understood the product and the product line in general, I might have spent my money on something else from their line.

Generally speaking, the "Turbo" suffix connotes that the effect tries to loosely emulate classic effects in its category. MTurboComp, MTurboEQ, MTurboReverb, MTurboAmp, MTurboDelay all seek to provide you with dozens of different models of classic whatevers in one plug-in. The idea is never to try to make it sound exactly like some old processor or other, but rather to sound like idealized versions.

For the categories of dynamics, EQ, and reverb, there is overlap across different price points. MDynamics can do everything that MCompressor and MModernCompressor do, but not the other way around. And MModernCompressor is 1/3rd the price of MDynamics.

They've been around a while now and have never discontinued a product, and they also do "Swiss Army Knife" and "does one thing very well" tools. In addition to that, there's some stuff they do that doesn't really fit into standard processor categories.

MDynamics is a "Swiss Army Knife," meant to be the only single band precision compressor/expander/gate/limiter you need. Its capabilities are a superset of MCompressor and MModernCompressor (and one or two of the limiters, not sure which). It does have the "devices," that add prettier UI's to the processor, but it also has its traditional mode where you can edit every last parameter and even make multiple parameters editable with the same control (what they call "multiparameters").

MTurboComp is a collection of analog-style compressors with different characteristics in one package. MSpectralDynamics is a different critter. MLimiterX is a limiter.

Another good Chandler video tries to make sense of the various "MStereo" processors. I find it hard to remember which of them does what.

$21 is a steal for their top of the line Swiss Army Knife dynamics processor. And although buying it from Audiodeluxe is only $19, buying it from Meldaproduction is much preferred if you think you might ever want to own a bundle license that includes MDynamics.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

$21 is a steal for their top of the line Swiss Army Knife dynamics processor. And although buying it from Audiodeluxe is only $19, buying it from Meldaproduction is much preferred if you think you might ever want to own a bundle license that includes MDynamics.

Would you not get more bundle credit by buying from AD, cos then Melda would assume you bought at 50% off, whereas if you buy direct they know what you paid? (I get a bit MConfusedSometimes.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, trager said:

Would you not get more bundle credit by buying from AD, cos then Melda would assume you bought at 50% off, whereas if you buy direct they know what you paid? (I get a bit MConfusedSometimes.)

Yes. Buy from Melda and get 70% of the price you paid.
Buy third party and get 35% of the full price.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, Technostica said:

Yes. Buy from Melda and get 70% of the price you paid.
Buy third party and get 35% of the full price.

Right, for discounts over 50% it is preferable NOT buying from Melda. E.g., in this case

Buy from Melda, pay $27, get $18.90 discount for the bundle ($27 x 70%)

or

Buy from Audiodeluxe, pay $19, get $46 discount for the bundle ($132 x 35%)

Notes

(a) the price has gone up at Melda since the OP, but not at Audiodeluxe

(b) even if it hadn't it would still be a better deal buying from Audiodeluxe