Issue with multi processing and thread sync

Henrizzle

The mention of price and a competitor's product in every post is starting to sound like an ad, honestly.

There's a lot of things wrong with those replies in general, but we're fairly cool about leaving comparisons and chat about other DAWs on here, if for no other reason it can add perspective to the features that Cakewalk has and dispell a lot of misconceptions too when the devs come into a thread and explain things, like they have here (although this advice is being entirely ignored). But if this devolves into something that looks like there's an agenda, this thread will be removed or locked.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Henrizzle said:

I just did another giant mix this morning in StudioOne, took about an hour and a half. Same mix as I have done in Cakewalk. In Cakewalk, it took weeks sometimes months because there seems to be this scratchy-ness that is mixed in and you can never get it to sound clear. I'm here to tell you, spend $99 on StudioOne, the cost of this free software is now your sanity. I'm outta here, no more Cakewalk madness for me. Good luck everyone and stop giving all the voodoo advise, the issue is plain and simple, this software is buggy and not maintained because it is free. 

So you just got married a month ago and now on your honey moon with your new partner.

- and think this happiness will last forever since you know your partner so well

I was married to your current spouse a couple of years ago and really wish you two well. ;)

You used Cakewalk for 20 years successfully and now suddenly with the last project you run into some problems.

- and your 25 years of programming make you conclude this is nothing to do with your last project

- must be a programming error outside of your control ;)

I suggested early in this thread you try change threadscheduling model to "1" since you will use legacy WaitForSingleObject to sync threads, which would be known to you as programmer.

- but you missed that completely as far as I can tell

- because you already knew what the problem was, and it was not on you

I had 6-7 feature requests on StudioOne Pro up to 4.7 and it became clear to me

- all this already exist in Sonar

- so went back to good old Sonar

StudioOne has no sysex support, no surround mixing support, no real track templates with busses and stuff, and looks is simplistic compared to Sonar and not much you can do about it either since no theme editor

- and I really hope you are not into realtime recording midi and CC, then you are in for a treat

- the honey moon will end abruptly...

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, Simon Payne said:

Solved it Cakewalk. Make your plugin chainer apply the vsts in parallel as apposed to series. They can then properly distribute the processing over multiple cores and threads. Until then Blule Cats Patchwork dose the job. 

Perhaps you are thinking of processing the plugins in parallel while streaming audio data through the chain. Maybe a good name for it would be "plug-in load balancing". That name is already in use, however, in Cakewalk. It's the name of a feature that processes the plug-ins in parallel to distribute the load across multiple cores when possible.😄

On 8/20/2023 at 10:54 AM, Will. said:

We sometimes forget to do oversampling in a plugin or virtual instrument on a track.

oversampling is different than bit depth -- but both can impact the quality of what you hear. i think bit depth is more important for most people (24-bit vs 16-bit). sample rate after a certain point (imho 96Khz) is less detectable to most people, and definitely more storage space consuming.

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/digital-audio-basics-sample-rate-and-bit-depth.html

🙂

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, Henrizzle said:

I just did another giant mix this morning in StudioOne, took about an hour and a half. Same mix as I have done in Cakewalk. In Cakewalk, it took weeks sometimes months because there seems to be this scratchy-ness that is mixed in and you can never get it to sound clear. I'm here to tell you, spend $99 on StudioOne, the cost of this free software is now your sanity. I'm outta here, no more Cakewalk madness for me. Good luck everyone and stop giving all the voodoo advise, the issue is plain and simple, this software is buggy and not maintained because it is free. 

I have been using Cakewalk for more than 30 years and have never experienced scratchy-ness in my mixes. Also, I am not so quick to jump ship. Years ago I produced an industry (not this one) newsletter and many Mac people came to me saying "you can't do that with a PC." I did, and soon began to understand the lure of a Mac. It looks cool and more importantly doesn't have any issues, because you aren't using it. Once you use it, it will have issues. Guaranteed. If it doesn't, then you aren't pushing it. I have DPC problems with my powerful Dell. Once I spent several months trying to solve this problem I eventually found out that the problem has existed for years with different manufacturers, different motherboards, different video cards, etc.

Maybe you are correct and Cakewalk is scratchy, then you are very fortunate that you found a product that you could mix with in 90 minutes in what used to be in more than 30 days. 

4 hours ago, Will. said:

Uhmm! When did i say they were the same? Best you read that post again. 

i only wanted to support your comment on oversampling as there is the potential for bit depth expansion in some cases as well - e.g. 32-bit float processing then truncated to 24-bit whilst performing the oversampling process as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i only wanted to support your comment on oversampling as there is the potential for bit depth expansion in some cases as well - e.g. 32-bit float processing then truncated to 24-bit whilst performing the oversampling process as well.

Apologies then. Appreciate your input.  I do agree with that actually. 

Edited by Will.