New DAW, CbB experiencing periodic momentary UI redraw freeze [RESOLVED!]

I don't know if we're allowed to post from other forums but this optimization process worked for my new DAW: https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=16176610&postcount=295

I'll use this process anytime I update NVIDIA drivers and I've had no issues with graphics to date. (System details in signature below)

Hopefully this will help even if you don't need to follow the entire process.

@scook, re: Anti-Virus software:
Good thought, I'll investigate

@mettelus, re: Wireless Mouse:
don't use them. Wired all the way.

@promidi, re: Disabling C-States/Speedstep:
I thought this was related to Core Parking which I've definitely altered.
I'll do some more research on this although it seems to me that "here be dragons"

Also, it bugs me to mess with something that should work in our favor: Parking on Idle = good

Looking at the performance monitor module, I wonder... does Cakewalk have an upper core/thread limit?
Lots of good information here:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/34270-how-to-assign-cakewalk-to-use-all-the-cpu-cores/

@Traveler, re: optimization guide
Thanks! I'll review, and post if something makes a difference.

This forum is the best, have I said that recently? Onward!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

I know you said in your first post that you've checked you haven't pressed the Pause/Break key inadvertently, but have you checked the Scroll Lock Key?

Haha good suggestion but my clips pane is scrolling okay, just the UI response is being jerked around. The screen grab doesn't do a great job of showing this but there's four places I've noticed the periodic momentary UI freeze behavior now:

1. Rearranging Control Bar modules
  2. Aim Assist tracking the mouse
  3. Now Time playback
  4. Vertical scrolling the Track Pane

I think there must be a common root cause here.

• Colin Nicholls changed the title to New DAW, CbB experiencing periodic momentary UI redraw freeze

What happens if you try this.

In preferences | Audio | Configuration File try adjusting the following:

EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor = False
MixThreadCount = {number of cores minus 1}

You might like to exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, go to the following folder and make a copy of the AUD.INI file before doing this:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

It does look like something is interrupting processing somewhere.

I'd start by disabling all antivirus & cloud-sync apps, disable your network adapter, make sure plugin scanning in Cakewalk is set to manual, and auto-save is off.

If none of those make a difference, start looking at other things running in the background.

If you can get to the place where it's no longer happening, start switching things back on until you find the culprit.

• Great Idea 1

I think I have found the root cause.

After all the above, I was more convinced it was due to a specific plug-in, probably one i used a lot, that was misbehaving.

I opened the Synth Rack and opened each VSTi properties window in turn, until Modartt Pianoteq 4  informed me that it was not activated.

(I'd previously activated v.5,6,7, and 8, but this project - and many others - still used v.4).

Once I'd cleared the activation prompt, the UI now responds as expected - smooth and un-interrupted. I am relieved.

Given how consistent this visual thing was, and how it went away as soon as I cleared the activation prompt, I'm thinking this must be it. (98% sure)

I would love to ask Modartt exactly how and why this happens, though.

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED ADVICE TO THIS THREAD. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST

• Like 8

It's almost always plugins isn't it lol. A plugin should never block the UI that long for seconds at a time or it will block the UI from updating since Windows messages will be backed up. All UI drawing occurs on a single thread so performance issues like this result in choppy UI.

if a plugin needs to do an activation check it should be doing it asynchronously.