Bitwig Studio 5 is released!

cclarry

Tell you what.

I was singing the praises for Bitwig in that beta thread, but someone sold me Studio One Pro 6 for $85 (for some reason) and it might be bye bye Bitwig now. At least for mixing.

It is, however, absolutely in its own league, by a long shot, when it comes to plugin performance and MPE support.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hillmy said:

If I get that, will I get a free upgrade to essentials? 

Maybe...  here's what I'm seeing

image.png.2253d19564124a12a855dfef84b8a6e2.png

You'll get v5.0 and its features - but it still comes up as 8-Track.
Maybe they haven't got the full upgrade/conversion ready yet... 

Edit: that's assuming that everything (all the bells & whistles) is/are not already there in all but the name.
I'm not going to bother (at the moment) to dive in and verify if it's missing anything based the link below.
https://www.bitwig.com/feature-list/
I don't have the time so I'll leave that to some other OCD forum member.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, backwoods said:

if you upgrade from old version can you still use old version?

Yes - they install in separate folders (at least by default).

Create a short cut to old version and change name slightly - like 'BitWig 4'.
Install new version and create a short cut to it and you'll easily be able to launch either one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5.0.1 [released 13 July 2023]

IMPROVEMENTS

Track remote controls now follow the remotes for current chain in the Instrument Selector, FX Selector, and Note FX Selector devices
If the top-level device itself has a remote control page, that will be preferred

FIXES

Bitwig Studio will now automatically reimport v4.4 collections if they are not present in v5.0.x [32789]

MIDI files could not be previewed or loaded for some editions of Bitwig Studio [33155]

Harmonize (Note FX) device: Fixed some sleep issues (a regression) [33067]

Logic Delay (Logic) Grid module: Was sometimes triggering too fast [33002]

Fixed a sleeping issue with nested device chain slots

The eraser tool can be used to create breakpoints in the automation lane again (a regression) [33071]

Curve Editor: Copy Curve followed by Reset Curve followed by Paste Curve now works [33097]

Fixed a crash when using Bounce or Slice to Drum Machine with audio files that have no detected onsets [32236]

Removing a device with latency was sometimes causing hung notes [33081]

Removing a location via the Show All Sources page now removes the location in the preferences, no longer crashing the app [32010]

Plug-in presets were sometimes being listed twice [33078]

Dragging in samples into the empty area once again creates color-distributed tracks [33147]

Audio files that contain invalid sample data was sometimes causing the audio engine to output garbage [31335]

Fixed a crash when an image couldn't be decoded [33023]

Windows: Fixed some random application crashes [30047]

• Like 1

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5.0.2 [released 20 July 2023]

FIXES

Fixed a crash at startup for some users when importing collections from v4.4 or earlier (a regression in v5.0.1) [33175]

Fixed a crash when using keyboard shortcuts in a browser to add and remove items from collections after some collections had been deleted [33053]

Impulses loaded with the Pop-up Browser now load within a Convolution device (instead of Sampler) [33076]

Older Launchpads (MK1, S, etc.) were crashing (a regression) [30816]

PreSonus FaderPort controller script was sometimes crashing [33187]

Novation Launchkey 49 controller script wasn't forwarding sustain pedal [33158]

Linux: App wouldn't start on some Ubuntu systems if libxcb-randr0 was not installed [33193]

Fixed random engine crashes on all platforms [32656, etc.]

• Thanks 2

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5.0.3 [released 21 July 2023]

FIXES

Device default presets are written to the user library again (a regression in v5.0.2) [33219]
Fixed a crash for controller scripts that make various assumptions about how keyboard shortcuts are categorized (such as the DrivenbyMoss Flexi script)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Bitwig Studio 5.0.3 - another prerelease...
Probably why it doesn't show up as an update within my 5.01 but shows up on web site.

I think there is a configuration option for showing pre releases , but I am not 100% sure. 

• Thanks 1