Ctrl-S Save doesn't work

jkoseattle

Question

CW is the only application I use which does not have Ctrl-S as its default keystroke for saving a file. Arghh. So I went to Keyboard Shortcuts to bind it. But it does not work. It shows Ctrl-S (as well as Alt-S) for File | Save, but when I actually hit Ctrl-S, the default "Split Clips" dialog pops up instead. I restarted CW, problem persists. Why is this happening?

12 answers to this question

Ctrl+S is what I have for Save.  Did you change your key bindings? Or maybe I changed mine?  Either way, you can change it.  Did you look at Global Bindings?  

Does this table help? 

File > Save              CTRL+S

I am in the US.  Maybe you have a keyboard for a different country?

Edited by User 905133

12 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

You can't save from every window in Cakewalk. The main screen needs to be in focus. Trying to save from a VST focused window or something like notes won't allow a save. Save is only in the main screen.

I just used Ctrl+S with the focus on a VST window [Instrument] and CbB saved the project.

UPDATE: It also worked with a VST3 [Instrument].

UPDATE 2: It also worked with a VST3 [Audio FX].

UPDATE 3: I just changed a whole bunch of things and whenever a VST/VST3 had the focus, Ctrl+S worked.  

• So far the only ways I could get Ctrl+S not to work properly was
    • when Browser > Notes was in edit mode
    • when a floating/undocked window had the focus.

Edited by User 905133
to add new info

7 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

No the Ctrl key is not stuck. Ctrl-S has never worked for me in Cakewalk. I do not have two Ctrl keys. When I unbind it, the menu still shows it as one of the two possible keystrokes for saving. 

It seems you have a faulty keyboard binding registry.
Just save your keyboard binding in a file and delete all lines in the file which contains: Kx00530B
Then load  that keyboard binding file.

There is a keyboard binding bug in the Cakewalk for years, I hope developers will fix it in the final CbBversion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, murat k. said:

It seems you have a faulty keyboard binding registry.
Just save your keyboard binding in a file and delete all lines in the file which contains: Kx00530B
Then load  that keyboard binding file.

There is a keyboard binding bug in the Cakewalk for years, I hope developers will fix it in the final CbBversion.

That fixed it! Wow, I wonder how long I've had that bug in there. Thank you so much!

Also bear in mind that CTRL-S is a Windows-embedded function. In order for an application to override the global Windows keys it needs to be careful in how it does that. Just in case the application doesn't do this correctly, it is good practice not to override any key functions that exist in Windows itself (in any application). I remember one application that had "CTRL-A" as an internal function, but it simply "selected all" because Windows already owns it.