Free IRs

hockeyjx

I know I could post in general, but the more "sophisticated" users are here. Does anyone keep a collection of free IRs they can share?

Sure, I could waste all day signing up with a fake email to get a bunch, but I'd rather not do that if there is a kind collector of those here who would share.

Hmm...  I know I had some, but I can't seem to find them yet!  I hope they weren't on the 10 TB drive that died on me a couple of years ago! 

Which reminds me to let everyone know to NOT use Carbonite for their backups!  After having them for many, many years, I found out after that disaster that they hadn't backed up everything!  Lots of directories structures and folders were created, but only the small text files had generally been saved!  I lost over 8 TB's of data and it took them over 37 DAYS to restore the 1.3 TB's that they had backed up!  🤬🤬🤬

Once again, I can't recommend Backblaze more!  FAST, accurate and does sooo much more!  My business partner and I liked them so much, we're both share-holders too!

If you guys can let me know what file format the IR's uses I can search again!

• Like 1

Just now, craigb said:

Hmm...  I know I had some, but I can't seem to find them yet!  I hope they weren't on the 10 TB drive that died on me a couple of years ago! 

Which reminds me to let everyone know to NOT use Carbonite for their backups!  After having them for many, many years, I found out after that disaster that they hadn't backed up everything!  Lots of directories structures and folders were created, but only the small text files had generally been saved!  I lost over 8 TB's of data and it took them over 37 DAYS to restore the 1.3 TB's that they had backed up!  🤬🤬🤬

Once again, I can't recommend Backblaze more!  FAST, accurate and does sooo much more!  My business partner and I liked them so much, we're both share-holders too!

If you guys can let me know what file format the IR's uses I can search again!

They are smaller  .WAV files.

• Thanks 1

The issue with collecting IRs is the same as with collecting samples, you can have thousands of them and take hours to sort through anything. In many respects, the capability of the IR loader/reverb you are using is much more important than the IR file itself (just listen to a few IR files solo sometime and it will show how much the IR is doing versus the reverb algorithm).

That said, LINE 6 has several threads on free IRs with links; but if I was going to limit myself to only one set, "God's Cab" from Wilkinson Audio would be the one I would recommend. I have used that set more often than not and is loaded into my hardware, but everything I use it in also has the ability to tweak the crap out of the reverb generated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mettelus said:

The issue with collecting IRs is the same as with collecting samples, you can have thousands of them and take hours to sort through anything. In many respects, the capability of the IR loader/reverb you are using is much more important than the IR file itself (just listen to a few IR files solo sometime and it will show how much the IR is doing versus the reverb algorithm).

That said, LINE 6 has several threads on free IRs with links; but if I was going to limit myself to only one set, "God's Cab" from Wilkinson Audio would be the one I would recommend. I have used that set more often than not and is loaded into my hardware, but everything I use it in also has the ability to tweak the crap out of the reverb generated.

Still requires an email. *sigh*

7 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

They are smaller  .WAV files.

I'm now scrolling through 174,000(!) .wav files that Everything (the best search engine ever, and it's free!) has found on all my drives...

It's definitely a trip through the past though!  Anyone remember DR-008 or Groove Maker?  And soooo many loop files!  Dang! 😮

I'll upload (and post a link to) and IR's that I find!

LOL, most IR loaders only have a limit on wav length and will use anything you feed them! Even if you got that down to 2,000, that is still a LOT to sort through.

I actually just checked and God's Cab has 3611 files in it (the Window's half) :(

I'm more than a little disappointed at not finding any!  I know Danny from the old forum (Danny Danzi - another member I wonder what happened to!) gave me a few that were nice, but I have no idea where they went to... 😕

6 hours ago, craigb said:

I'm more than a little disappointed at not finding any!  I know Danny from the old forum (Danny Danzi - another member I wonder what happened to!) gave me a few that were nice, but I have no idea where they went to... 😕

I grew up in the same South NJ scene as Danny and see FB pictures on friend's profiles of him now and again. I think he is fine, but just changed DAWs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jackson white said:

hey Siri, i need a james gadsen groove with highhat only on the 2and  and the 4, stat!

Siri:  Got it!  Buying a new car warranty using your saved credit card information.

😂

• Haha 1