Presonus Drivers Not Recognized by Cakewalk

fret walker

I started cakewalk on my laptop when I was away from my office/studio. I wanted to check a setting and didn't plan on using the audio function. Later when I started Cakewalk the cursor would keep spinning and I couldn't play any of my projects. A few google searches later I see that it is a driver problem.

I checked the driver and see that my new laptop has a Realtek card with an ASIO driver which is selected. My Presonus Sudio 26 drivers are there but greyed out. I deselect the Realtek driver, hit apply, and it just reverts back to realtek. 

I've  disabled drivers, uninstalled the realtek drivers, reinstalled Cakewalk, reinstalled the Presonus Universal Control with drivers, nothing works. I did see Presonus installer complained about McAfee firewall so I turned that off and turned off Windows Defender firewall and reinstalled. No luck. 

I would appreciate any suggestions at this point.

I would normally respond to this

6 minutes ago, fret walker said:

I deselect the Realtek driver, hit apply, and it just reverts back to realtek. 

Deselect both input and output in CbB Audio driver preferences BEFORE making a new selection.

But this

8 minutes ago, fret walker said:

I've  disabled drivers, uninstalled the realtek drivers, reinstalled Cakewalk, reinstalled the Presonus Universal Control with drivers, nothing works. I did see Presonus installer complained about McAfee firewall so I turned that off and turned off Windows Defender firewall and reinstalled. No luck. 

Leads me to suspect a much bigger problem with system configuration.

Why would there ever be two firewalls running? One is enough to mess with installers.

The second firewall was a total surprise to me. McAfee says that it's "advanced firewall" is using Defender for inbound connections and it's only doing outbound connections. I discovered ths when I was going to try to white-list the Presonus installer and discovered there were 2 so I just turned them both off and ran the installer. I totally agree about the firewalls causing problems but when I did the original installation both firewalls were on and the installation went smoothly.

I'm starting to suspect Presonus. I did notice that I'm working with a newer version of the Presonus driver. I still have the prior version. I think I will uninstall the driver, reboot and try the install again with that one. 

Input and output both are greyed out. In Driver Settings only the Realtek comes up as an option in the dropdown list.

CWconfig.png

PresonusInstall.png

Edited by fret walker
added info

The message looks suspicious to me

McAfeer?

On the CbB side, it is normal for one ASIO driver to be enabled at a time. To change drivers, deselect BOTH the current input AND output settings THEN make new selections. Only one driver may be selected at a time.

I noticed that spelling error too. Not sure what to make of that.

Installing the prior version of Presonus made no change. The Presonus site suggested totally removing virus software and reinstalling. I did that and got a clean install of the Universal Control which installs the drivers.

But there is no change in Audio | Devices, Presonus is still greyed out and cannot be selected. Reltek is the only option it will accept. In Driver Settings, Presonus is still not shown as an option, only Realtek in the dropdown. 

For some reason CW is no longer recognizing the Presonus driver. The only change to the system was running CW without presonus plugged in. 

5 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

It should be a red flag.

McAfee and Norton are both intrusive resource hogs. Back in the DOS v3 pre-Windows days, the Norton utilities were essential, but then Symantec bought them and that was the end of a great product.

But McAfeer? You've got a virus, pure and simple. You need to clean your system before you do anything else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Maar said:

McAfee and Norton are both intrusive resource hogs. Back in the DOS v3 pre-Windows days, the Norton utilities were essential, but then Symantec bought them and that was the end of a great product.

But McAfeer? You've got a virus, pure and simple. You need to clean your system before you do anything else.

I remember the Norton Commander!!! eheheh

• Like 1

I have the same Presonus Studio 26c. Running on W10. And never had a problem (I have disabled Realtek). I run Defender only (you don't need McAfeer!). As suggested. I would get rid of it and clean up your PC (Revo uninstaller free is good for this but you still will need to look for files left around with McAfee)

12 hours ago, fret walker said:

But there is no change in Audio | Devices, Presonus is still greyed out and cannot be selected.

Have you deselected Realtek drivers in the devices settings?
Is the Presonus still grayed out when Realtek is deselected in both the current input and output drivers settings?

2 hours ago, HIBI said:

Have you deselected Realtek drivers in the devices settings?
Is the Presonus still grayed out when Realtek is deselected in both the current input and output drivers settings?

Yes, the Presonus drivers are greyed out and CW won't let me select them. When I deselect Realtek, as soon as I hit the Apply button they are selected again. 

I've been using Cakewalk since it was just a sequencer and I've never had a configuration problem I couldn't solve. This one has me stumped. 

16 minutes ago, fret walker said:

Yes, the Presonus drivers are greyed out and CW won't let me select them.

Is this grayed out state after deselecting realtek drivers (and not yet hit the Apply) ?

22 minutes ago, fret walker said:

When I deselect Realtek, as soon as I hit the Apply button they are selected again. 

Why did you immediately hit the Apply button after deselecting Realtek drivers?
After deselecting Realtek drivers, without hitting the Apply, and can't select the Presonus?

The Realtek ASIO drivers aren't really going to buy you much of anything, so you could uninstall that, but you shouldn't even need to hit apply once you've deselected the boxes. Again, bear in mind that both inputs and outputs need to be deselected before you can choose the other device. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

If you watch the video you would have solved your problem by now. 

I did watch it, thanks for posting it. Unfortunately there was no information in the video that I'm not familiar with. I'm a retired software developer and familiar with the Win 11 audio functions. Also I have installed numerous versions CW and Sonar over the years with no real issues. 

The problem is I had a perfectly good configuration that installed correctly the first time. In fact I'm finishing up an album and in the mastering stage so it's really frustrating. It started when I opened CW without Presonus Studio 2/6 plugged in and now CW and Windows Media Player only recognize the Realtek driver. Uninstalling the Realtek driver or disabling it don't make any difference.  

Edited by fret walker
additional info

So how can Windows recognize a driver you say you disabled and if you did follow the video uninstall the Realtek ASIO driver in the RegEdit? 
If there’s no Realtek ASIO driver then selecting ASIO in Cakewalk would only have one choice. Your interface. 

It's conceivable that your audio configuration file is corrupt and not accepting a change, you can try manually deleting it by going to %appdata%\cakewalk\cakewalk core and deleting AUD.ini, then launch the application and try setting the driver. The Devices tab in the Preferences is showing you which devices are available to Windows, so as long as you've deselected everything under inputs and outputs, you should be able to select a different driver. 

• Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

So how can Windows recognize a driver you say you disabled and if you did follow the video uninstall the Realtek ASIO driver in the RegEdit? 
If there’s no Realtek ASIO driver then selecting ASIO in Cakewalk would only have one choice. Your interface. 

That sounds promising. My uninstalls of the realtek driver didn't seem to be effective. Having a registry entry still there would explain that. 

Where is section on using RegEdit to do an uninstall? I missed that and will give that a shot.  

But I'm puzzled why CW would grey out the Presonus adapter and not allow those drivers as a secondary option.

Also, Windows Media Player used to play thru the Studio 2/ 6 interface if it was plugged in. Now there's no sound thru the interface.