The Cover Song Hall of Fame

Byron Dickens

"As Tears Go By" is a song written by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Rolling Stones' manager Andrew Loog Oldham. Marianne Faithfull recorded and released it as a single in the United Kingdom in 1964. Her song peaked at number nine on both the UK and Irish singles charts. Later, the Rolling Stones recorded their own version . . . .

This issue comes up from time to time, which is the original [recording] and which is the cover? 

I don't know the answer,  But here's a tune I like that might be a cover:

"Come and Get It" is a song composed by English singer-songwriter Paul McCartney for the 1969 film The Magic Christian. The song was performed by Badfinger, produced by McCartney and issued as a single 5 December 1969 in the UK, and 12 January 1970 in the US, on the Beatles' Apple label. It was the band's first release under the Badfinger name . . .

Paul McCartney recorded a solo demo of the song on 24 July 1969, after arriving early for a Beatles recording session for their Abbey Road album . . .

The Beatles Anthology 3, Released 28 October 1996

Edited by User 905133
to put the song before the details (from wikipedia)
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, Notes_Norton said:

Etta James Version - Better (the band is awesome too)

Never heard this version. Great song. I loved the sound of the guitar from the first few licks!! This is drenched in feel!! Not many drummers can play with that kind of groove. Listen to that sax at the end!!!

7 hours ago, heath row said:

I was impressed with this version. The drummer sounded like Charlie on super steroids! But he kept to the original beat, which is the back bone of that song. Didn't even think a slide would go well... but it did. The weakest thing in that song was the lead singer, and that's not saying he did a bad job. He did a fine job. Backing vocals really made it shine. 

But this is the first version of this song I ever heard. And still my favorite. I don't think these guys get enough credit. Specially the bass player and drummer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grem said:

Never heard this version. Great song. I loved the sound of the guitar from the first few licks!! This is drenched in feel!! Not many drummers can play with that kind of groove. Listen to that sax at the end!!!

The entire album is that way.

Etta just got out of rehab, they assembled a great studio band, and both she and the band were at the top of their game. Great music.

IMO, there isn't a bad cut on it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...