The Cover Song Hall of Shame - Share Your Nominations

PavlovsCat

54 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

This one I'm a bit on the fence on, cause it could fill both posts depending on how you look at it.

I love it. In my wife's words, after overhearing the song on my phone:

"What the h#ll is that?" 

The playing is really good and I take it this was meant to be off the wall fun with one of the schmaltziest tunes ever written.  I never heard this before and these guys go into the Hall of Shame with a sense of righteous pride. They've earned their place, and I think it's an honor they'd be okay with. 

On 6/17/2023 at 6:47 AM, PavlovsCat said:

The unanswered question for that cover is whether or not William Shatner is actually trying to be ridiculously bad or that was his sincere effort to do a good cover. 

i reckon he's playing it for laughs... here he is hosting a popular uk news quiz a couple of years back

and skip to about 23min for him doing it live

Edited by pwalpwal

31 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

Prince - Whole Lotta Love:

I would vote against its inclusion in the Hall of Shame. I love Zeppelin and I don't love this cover, but I also don't think it's terrible. Prince, who I think was an amazing performer, was trying to inject a little funkiness into his cover. This cover didn't hit the mark, IMO, but I don't find it terrible. 

We need to keep the bar extremely low. Therefore,  my vote is that this doesn't meet those low standards.  But I'm just one vote. Feel free to disagree.  I think there's a much worse version out there and we need to keep pursuing the absolute worst of the worst. :)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I think he said he did the vocals as a person tripping on acid. Although, the only person tripping on acid was him.

Actually, I'd have to disagree with that.  If he had truly been on acid, he probably would have performed far better than normal!  (As long as it was clean acid that is!) 😉

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, craigb said:

Actually, I'd have to disagree with that.  If he had truly been on acid, he probably would have performed far better than normal!  (As long as it was clean acid that is!) 😉

If he was on acid, he undoubtedly thought he was performing better.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:26 PM, PavlovsCat said:

I would vote against its inclusion in the Hall of Shame. I love Zeppelin and I don't love this cover, but I also don't think it's terrible. Prince, who I think was an amazing performer, was trying to inject a little funkiness into his cover. This cover didn't hit the mark, IMO, but I don't find it terrible. 

Agreed!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wholeheartedly nominate this disaster (JMO) for the Hall of Shame, not just because it makes the song sound like garbage and not because it purports to be AI and the AI sounds awful in and of itself, but also because it sounds nothing like Mike Nesmith either with the Monkees or without them.

As positive as Micky Dolenz has been over the decades and as anti-Corporate Take Down Notices as I am, I think Micky should encourage the lawyer for whoever owns the rights to the song/recording to demand the song be taken down.

Edited by User 905133

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I wholeheartedly nominate this disaster (JMO) for the Hall of Shame, not just because it makes the song sound like garbage and not because it purports to be AI and the AI sounds awful in and of itself, but also because it sounds nothing like Mike Nesmith either with the Monkees or without them.

As positive as Micky Dolenz has been over the decades and as anti-Corporate Take Down Notices as I am, I think Micky should encourage the lawyer for whoever owns the rights to the song/recording to demand the song be taken down.

And, even the Monkees' version was a cover!
(Neil Diamond wrote the song.)

7 minutes ago, craigb said:

Yeah, I knew that, but now I wonder if he has also has a legal basis to have a lawyer issue a take down notice.  I was going to report it to YT, but the only reporting category that came close was offensive content.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, craigb said:

Sad that I know this bit of trivia, but, it's actually not a cover. Neil Diamond wrote the song and sold it to The Monkees; he didn’t write it to record as a solo artist. Diamond even played acoustic guitar on The Monkees hit. Diamond did record his own version of the song. But that was more than a decade later. File under useless knowledge...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1