"Name" "Goo Goo Dolls" cover

mark skinner

Hello , I'm in between songs and decided to cover this one.  I've always appreciated it because of the acoustic guitar tracks. I tried to keep it close to the original as much as I am capable of. I did add a mandolin to the break and dropped the key a half step. Easier to sing but mainly , I kept breaking strings with another Jonny Rzeznik  strange tuning. Any crits or comments for improvement will be Greatly appreciated . Thanks ..   mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14611426

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 4

Thanks' Ross .  I Really appreciate the listen and comment. That was pretty quick..  After editing the post , I hadn't gotten thru my first listen to make sure the upload and link were working properly before you responded.  I hope this is a good sign ..        mark

Hi Mark . . . you've sure got those acoustic guitars recorded very well in this one, never hear the song before, so for me it just sounds like you ! Great vocals, and like the way the drums are balanced into the mix, just the right hint of kick, when it gets going. A thing I noticed listening along on headphones was around 3:20 there's a "HEY" which sounds kind of over compressed, and phases a bit . . . just sounds a bit electronic in an otherwise totally organic recording. 

Always look forward to what you're up to, never ceases to amaze.

• Like 1

@noynekker , Hello, Bruce .  Nice to hear from you , It's been a while..  Thanks' for the listen and the comments. Yeah , I think I got some decent separation between the main L/R guitar tracks. Big condenser on the left and SM57 on the right. I didn't have to do much EQ work or real wide panning. One thing that helped was the new Pro R reverb on them and the vocals. (thanks' to a  recommendation by @subvibe ) I went to the problematic "HEY" and worked on it. Sounds much better now (I think). Thank You for that ! I did some further automation on the lead vocals and the changes now are reflected in the remix.  @subvibe Thank You ! Any positive feedback from you is Very impressive to me . Your amazing production skills are top notch and I hope to learn a lot from you.  @jack c. Thank You Jack ! I Always enjoy your work and the different directions you take on the backing tracks.  Very Creative !   

Anything sticking out on this mix that needs addressed ,  I'll try and do my best to resolve it ..  Thank You ..  mark

Sometimes I'll hear a cover of a song that I know well, and it's like the first time I ever heard the song.  That's the case here.  You nailed this song, and in spite of it being close to the original, it's fresh!  I, too, look forward to your next song.

• Like 1

@Bajan Blue Thank You. I Always appreciate you listening and your comments. I think your production and video skills are Amazing !  I Really appreciate you taking time to respond. 

On 6/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, Rikkie said:

I don't know the original and I don't have to look it up now, this will do me fine!

Rik , that was probably the coolest response I've ever gotten . I've been looking forward to some more great playing from you .. Thanks. @Lynn Wilson Thanks Lynn . Staying as close to the original as I could  , I still don't think I captured the sliding between the chords like on the original. (and that was one of the coolest parts of the song). Did what I could and very glad you liked it. @FreeEarCandy Thank You , and "thanks" for the SC like. I'm running out of room on SoundCloud with my free account and have been using SClick until I'm satisfied with a mix.   Much easier to replace the wav without redoing everything.         Thank You ..        mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1