Listening to this now

Mesh

Ok, it actually took a little bit of hacking (I used to be able to open the video in a new tab to see who this was supposed to be, but now the link only goes to YouTube's home page!)...

Is this the right video Paulo?  (David Sylvian - Orpheus)

Here's an obscure one. Well, I remember seeing it peoples' record collections back in the day, but I don't think I'd ever given it a listen until today.

I pulled this up after watching an interview with Leland Sklar in which he included No Other by Gene Clark in his list of his five favorite albums he's played on. High praise, given that Lee has played on literally thousands of records that run the gamut from straight-up pop to serious jazz and jazz-rock fusion. Many were huge commercial successes but most are appreciated primarily by music nerds. No Other falls into the latter category.

I can see why this album wasn't a hit - there is still no tidy category for it. It's not Country, but has Country influences. It's not exactly Eagles-style Country Rock, although it does feature Timothy B. Schmitt on vocals. It's not folk rock, but Clark's former Byrds bandmate Chris Hillman plays on it.  Here's the Wikipedia entry, which links to the impressive pedigrees of all the musicians who contributed to this album.

I call it Country Prog. Some great melodic and inventive guitar work (7 guitarists are credited), and of course listening to Sklar is a master class for bass players.

Here's a link to the full album. It's all good.

• Like 2