Listening to this now

Mesh

Mark Murphy is my all-time favorite jazz singer. Richie Cole is in the top 10 of my favorite alto sax players.

When I was in a jazz band, Mark came and sat in. The guitarist and leader of that band taught at the University of Miami and toured with Ira Sullivan, so he had big name connections.

I felt out of my league that day, like I was faking it. But it was a blast.

I think this is a fine arrangement and performance of All The Things You Are — Mark Murphy and the Muse All-Stars with Richie Cole on alto.

What do you think?

Edited by Notes_Norton

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

Hey Craig, I know been under the radar for awhile....on another note, I saw StickFigure live and they were pretty good!! :) 

Well, since you ARE the "author" of this fred, we expect some participation you know! 😜

• Great Idea 1

• PROGRAM:
    • 00:00 - Intro
    • 00:59 - Chunga’s Revenge
    • 05:43 - Cleetus Awreetus-Awrightus
    • 08:55 - I Ain't Got No Heart
    • 11:20 - Sharleena
    • 15:44 - Thirteen
    • 21:38 - The Little House I Used to Live In
    • 29:28 - Village of the Sun
    • 34:40 - The Black Page No. 2
    • 38:24 - Sofa
    • 41:28 - Peaches en Regalia
    • 44:28 - Montana
    • 53:43 - Cleetus Awreetus-Awrightus — encore

Edited by User 905133
(2) inserted time links; (1) added set list / times
  • Like 2

In 1975 I was 14 and happened to catch this weird UK band on In Concert. The guitar player was made up like a mime, the singer was 40 if he was a day, wore jeans and a striped t-shirt under a pirate coat with tails, and prowled around the stage like he was James Dean or Humphrey Bogart. Blew my little teeny bopper mind.

People from across the pond will know right away I'm taking about The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, and they came to mind as of late. It's who I got into when the rest of my class were into KISS:

I bought the live album that had just come out. They were, among other things, an instruction in how lyrics don't have to make a damn bit of sense as long as you deliver them with emotion.

That thing that he and the bass player and guitarist do where they all put one foot on the monitors and lean forward, I was later slayed by Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone doing that in sync, as their entire stage schtick.

• Like 4